So today is a truly sad day. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So today is a truly sad day.

We just got word from the breeder that the girl we had fell in love with and were preparing our house for and anticipating our little bundle of joy coming home. Was picked by the "first pick". We were told when we drove all the way from Florida to Georgia that she was available. I was under the impression the first pick people wanted a male and seeing how we fell in love with a female there was nothing to worry about but I guess once they got there they changed their mind. I truly am crushed. She was a perfect fit for our family and had all the attributes we were looking for long haired female, from a show line, medium drive, and sweet temperament. And when we went to visit while her brothers were climbing all over her and barking their heads off she was nice and calm and just wagging her tail at us. Everyone keeps saying oh there is plenty of other gsds out there but what they don't realize is how perfect she was. I really am sad. I can't tell you how excited I was to take her home in a week. I guess part of me keeps hoping that the breeder will call back and say they changed their minds. Any advice on where to go from here ? Should we wait and see if the breeder breeds those two dogs again or do you know of any breeders that breed the type of pup that would match our criteria ?
Daisyline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are there no other females in that litter? Because she is no longer available, did the breeder say you don't get a puppy at all?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's horrible! I hope the breeder will somehow find a way to make it up for you! It's too bad that the first pick chose the puppy you wanted, but you can always find another one with the same attributes you're looking for!
BensLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

She was the only one out of her litter with the drive and temperament we wanted and she was also the only long haired female. So yep that means no pup for us. However the breeder ( who also feels terrible and says this has never happened before) said we could decide to have her keep our deposit giving us first pick in the future.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisyline View Post
She was the only one out of her litter with the drive and temperament we wanted and she was also the only long haired female. So yep that means no pup for us. However the breeder ( who also feels terrible and says this has never happened before) said we could decide to have her keep our deposit giving us first pick in the future.
If the breeder plans on having another litter and you like how the past litters came out, you could just keep your deposit and hope that a long hair female comes up in the next litter!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensLife View Post
If the breeder plans on having another litter and you like how the past litters came out, you could just keep your deposit and hope that a long hair female comes up in the next litter!
We only liked one of the female pups in the litter. It was definitely more relaxed and less rambunctious than the rest.

(Daisyline is my lady)
XeroZeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensLife View Post
Talked to breeder her next litter she has planed is a working line GSd and will have a much higher drive but she did say she would keep an eye out if a pup arrives that would fit our family
Old 03-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am sorry. It really sucks. I would be devastated if I had been planning for a pup and then it did not happen.

Good luck. I hope you find the right pup for your family.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dang, I'm so sorry.. I hope you do find another GSD that will make you happy!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

personally I would not be dealing with them .

I really don't like handing out pups in the picks order when someone comes .

That goes for your observation on her too. She could have been that mellow on that day , in that moment . She can't be that different from her littermates.

That is why a good breeder will do the best for their dog and the potential new home by spending gobs of time getting to know the people and gobs of time getting to really know the pups and placing them in the best place --- or not with any current "applicants" and wait until the right one comes along.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.