German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   So today is a truly sad day. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/421793-so-today-truly-sad-day.html)

Daisyline 03-09-2014 10:02 PM

So today is a truly sad day.

We just got word from the breeder that the girl we had fell in love with and were preparing our house for and anticipating our little bundle of joy coming home. Was picked by the "first pick". We were told when we drove all the way from Florida to Georgia that she was available. I was under the impression the first pick people wanted a male and seeing how we fell in love with a female there was nothing to worry about but I guess once they got there they changed their mind. I truly am crushed. She was a perfect fit for our family and had all the attributes we were looking for long haired female, from a show line, medium drive, and sweet temperament. And when we went to visit while her brothers were climbing all over her and barking their heads off she was nice and calm and just wagging her tail at us. Everyone keeps saying oh there is plenty of other gsds out there but what they don't realize is how perfect she was. I really am sad. I can't tell you how excited I was to take her home in a week. I guess part of me keeps hoping that the breeder will call back and say they changed their minds. Any advice on where to go from here ? Should we wait and see if the breeder breeds those two dogs again or do you know of any breeders that breed the type of pup that would match our criteria ?

gsdsar 03-09-2014 10:05 PM

Are there no other females in that litter? Because she is no longer available, did the breeder say you don't get a puppy at all?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BensLife 03-09-2014 10:10 PM

That's horrible! I hope the breeder will somehow find a way to make it up for you! It's too bad that the first pick chose the puppy you wanted, but you can always find another one with the same attributes you're looking for!

Daisyline 03-09-2014 10:13 PM

She was the only one out of her litter with the drive and temperament we wanted and she was also the only long haired female. So yep that means no pup for us. However the breeder ( who also feels terrible and says this has never happened before) said we could decide to have her keep our deposit giving us first pick in the future.

BensLife 03-09-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisyline (Post 5164681)
She was the only one out of her litter with the drive and temperament we wanted and she was also the only long haired female. So yep that means no pup for us. However the breeder ( who also feels terrible and says this has never happened before) said we could decide to have her keep our deposit giving us first pick in the future.

If the breeder plans on having another litter and you like how the past litters came out, you could just keep your deposit and hope that a long hair female comes up in the next litter!

XeroZeus 03-09-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BensLife (Post 5164705)
If the breeder plans on having another litter and you like how the past litters came out, you could just keep your deposit and hope that a long hair female comes up in the next litter!

We only liked one of the female pups in the litter. It was definitely more relaxed and less rambunctious than the rest.

(Daisyline is my lady)

Daisyline 03-09-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BensLife (Post 5164705)

Talked to breeder her next litter she has planed is a working line GSd and will have a much higher drive but she did say she would keep an eye out if a pup arrives that would fit our family

gsdsar 03-09-2014 10:32 PM

I am sorry. It really sucks. I would be devastated if I had been planning for a pup and then it did not happen.

Good luck. I hope you find the right pup for your family.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BensLife 03-09-2014 10:34 PM

Dang, I'm so sorry.. I hope you do find another GSD that will make you happy!

carmspack 03-10-2014 12:23 AM

personally I would not be dealing with them .

I really don't like handing out pups in the picks order when someone comes .

That goes for your observation on her too. She could have been that mellow on that day , in that moment . She can't be that different from her littermates.

That is why a good breeder will do the best for their dog and the potential new home by spending gobs of time getting to know the people and gobs of time getting to really know the pups and placing them in the best place --- or not with any current "applicants" and wait until the right one comes along.