German Shepherds Forum banner

So today is a truly sad day.

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Daisyline 
#1 ·
We just got word from the breeder that the girl we had fell in love with and were preparing our house for and anticipating our little bundle of joy coming home. Was picked by the "first pick". We were told when we drove all the way from Florida to Georgia that she was available. I was under the impression the first pick people wanted a male and seeing how we fell in love with a female there was nothing to worry about but I guess once they got there they changed their mind. I truly am crushed. She was a perfect fit for our family and had all the attributes we were looking for long haired female, from a show line, medium drive, and sweet temperament. And when we went to visit while her brothers were climbing all over her and barking their heads off she was nice and calm and just wagging her tail at us. Everyone keeps saying oh there is plenty of other gsds out there but what they don't realize is how perfect she was. I really am sad. I can't tell you how excited I was to take her home in a week. I guess part of me keeps hoping that the breeder will call back and say they changed their minds. Any advice on where to go from here ? Should we wait and see if the breeder breeds those two dogs again or do you know of any breeders that breed the type of pup that would match our criteria ?

#2 ·
Are there no other females in that litter? Because she is no longer available, did the breeder say you don't get a puppy at all?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
She was the only one out of her litter with the drive and temperament we wanted and she was also the only long haired female. So yep that means no pup for us. However the breeder ( who also feels terrible and says this has never happened before) said we could decide to have her keep our deposit giving us first pick in the future.

#8 ·
I am sorry. It really sucks. I would be devastated if I had been planning for a pup and then it did not happen.

Good luck. I hope you find the right pup for your family.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#16 ·
I truly am crushed. Just imagine looking forward to brining a pup you think is perfect for your family for two weeks and having your house all set up for her and have training regiments worked out and have trainers picked and have setup for the future to find out a week and a half before your supposed to go up that she is no longer available.

#10 ·
personally I would not be dealing with them .

I really don't like handing out pups in the picks order when someone comes .

That goes for your observation on her too. She could have been that mellow on that day , in that moment . She can't be that different from her littermates.

That is why a good breeder will do the best for their dog and the potential new home by spending gobs of time getting to know the people and gobs of time getting to really know the pups and placing them in the best place --- or not with any current "applicants" and wait until the right one comes along.

#17 ·
The little girl we picked was out of the ones the breeder suggested for us. She did help place the pup she gave us some options she thought would be best for us and steered us away from those she didn't think would work for us and some flat out said no to. We had 2 she really suggested for us a male and a female (we wanted a female so made the choice really easy)

#11 ·
I agree with the others who say you shouldn't be dealing with this particular breeder. I like being able to pick my pup, but at the same time, you should trust the breeder to make the final decision. If the breeder would've given me the dog I picked, I'd be very unhappy at this point, so I am glad my breeder made the final call and matched the dog to my wants and desires.

Maybe you can post on the Looking For Breeders thread with your wants and desires and someone can point you in the right direction. Also, it can sometimes take a while to find "The Dog". It took almost two years from when I started looking at breeders until I brought Finn home and it's been another two years since I've been seeking out my next GSD. It may take a while, but the right dog will come along.

#13 ·
Sorry for your disappointment!!! This is one of the problems that can arise when breeders let people "pick" pups instead of fitting them to the buyer based on stated preferences. If they let you "pick" this pup, then the pup should have been removed from the selection offered to others at the very least.

As Carmen says - personality shown at a specific time is not always a true picture....and the breeder should know what the pup's potential is personality wise...Personally, I would ask for my deposit to be returned, and go elsewhere...mellower long coated pups are NOT that hard to find!

Lee

#19 ·
Just to clarify,

I believe the breeder is great, after having met her. She was 100% up front about the situation. We drove to meet her and see the pups. She takes extremely good care of the pups with her husband and even just this past weekend, won a few events with some of her dogs.

This situation really just was unfortunate. When we "picked" our pup, she did say that it would 'most likely' be ours, but also was 100% up front and honest that there was a chance that it might not work out, due to one family having a pick ahead of us, although she did not believe that they were looking for what this pup was.

The breeder is Von lotta in Locust Grove, GA. I have been in touch with her several times since the disappointment - she called me immediately and expressed her sadness. It is also worth crediting her, that she could have easily pushed another dog on us, but she did not - she knows what we liked about this dog, and she will keep that in mind in the future.

While I am very sad about this disappointment, I do not hold ANYTHING negative against the breeder, who I feel was completely up front and honest. Furthermore, after surveying her property and operation in GA, I would highly recommend that others consider her when looking for pups. The only person I have felt as comfortable or more comfortable with is Mary at Little River Canine, but unfortunately she doesn't have any litters in the works at this point.

It is sad to change your computer wallpapers/phone backgrounds and tell all of your family and friends that the pup you had been showing them for weeks is not going to come home, but such is life.

Any additional feedback and comments are welcome.

PS; We are looking for a dark with red GSD with a calm and quiet temperament to be a HOUSE dog. Cuddly, attached at the hip and a more submissive type personality are welcome. Keep us in your thoughts.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
I completely understand how sad and frustrating this can be, especially that you feel that the puppy could be the one. Please let me say that I have no doubt that there will be other puppies with similar temperaments. In fact, longhair puppies usually have the best temperaments in the litter. I can't explain it, but it really is often the case, and other breeders tell me the same.

#21 ·
So sorry to hear about your dilemma and problems, I would say that sometimes things happen for a reason, I know this doesn't help, but maybe moving on will provide you with another pup for you that will be even better? I once chose a puppy early from a breeder, only to be told some weeks later that the puppy had died- so I chose another from a different litter, which turned out to be the most wonderful GSD ever. So my advise is to look for the future perfect GSD no matter what it takes! Bob

#22 ·
Thank you after talking in detail with breeder. I feel much better it wasn't her fault long story short the pup that the first family was paired with is developing slower then her litter mates and still can't walk on hind legs and the breeder doesn't want to sell her because of this. And I now have full confidence that I'll find my perfect pup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.