Help!!! New puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help!!! New puppy

Hi all, I need some suggestions, Sunday, I got a German Shepherd pup eight weeks old. She has a lot of energy as most puppies do. Since she is only eight weeks old I'm not quite sure how much I should be exercising her. I'm in New York so everything here is covered in snow. I am able to walk her on the street so I've been doing about 5-10 minutes at a time about five times a day every day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how much I should be walking her, or any good inside chew toys that I can give her. She is chewing on anything that she can. I also heard a lot of horror stories about young dogs that run and jump too early in life. I got her a small Nyla bone which seems to occupy her for about five minutes. I read about thinking toys like a Kong or something like that. Also it's Friday already I have been with her 24/7 since Sunday. When would be a good time to start leaving her alone and how long should I be leaving her for? One more question. I have been reading a lot of posts on this website and have seen how important early socialization is. When should I start that? Thanks.
shepgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need a crate, if you don't already have one. You can pen her up for 2-3 hours & get stuff done without worry. As it warms up I'd try to get her out more, 30 min to an hour at a time. Off leash is great if you have a safe area.

I'd collect a lot of chew toys, many can be free. They can be older kids toys, smashed plastic milk jugs, inch+ pieces of stick of stick, whatever.

I wouldn't concern yourself at the very young age with socialization, ease in as able. You should be on track with 'puppy shots', but they take a little time to be effective.

The Nylabone 'healthy edibles' are a treat, but limit the offerings to avoid runny poop.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also wanted to know how much sleeping she should be doing. She sleeps a lot.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Puppies sleep a lot. In fact, when my boy was a baby I found that he was at his worst, biting wise, when he was overtired. So I would put him in the crate to nap.

Have fun with him!!!!

Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
how important early socialization is
Your puppy has lost communication with her sisters and brothers and she might grow into a social outcast if you wouldn't find a place where she can play with puppies of her age. Daycare centres and puppy dog parks are the places you can take her. Her wish to run to people and adult dogs is a part of her missing socialization at her mother's lap, but you shouldn't let strangers to touch her or let her to unknown dogs, especially older ones, it will teach her bad habits. You will learn a ritual of meeting strangers at obedience class when your pup is ready to go there. Exercising depends on the level of your dog's energy. Try to read some signs like yawning, dropping in inaproppriate places, jumping on you, etc, which might tell you she's tired.
A crate is not only her own place to sleep in, which would be replaced with a doggy bed with time, it is a tool to train patience. A wolf-mother leaves her young for several hours in the den, where they wait for her quietly. Not letting your puppy always to do what she wants is a way to train her to cope with frustration. Untrained dogs can end up with separation anxiety (read about it) which is difficult to cure. Leaving your puppy in a daycare with other puppies for several hours is a part of that training, which is good in many ways.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

She is so cute! There's a ton of info on other posts here about the exercise question, this is one really good thread: Proper Exercise for puppies

Are you working on crate training? The crate is probably the number one puppy accessory on my list! Lots of great threads on crate training in this forum too. When your pup's comfortable in the crate, it's an excellent idea to start leaving her alone. I would put Jedda in her crate and just go outside for 10 minutes at first, and since I had a week off when I brought her home, before I had to go back to work I had worked up to the four hours she'd be alone. I actually used an exercise pen for several months, because she couldn't hold it for four hours till about 14 weeks if I remember right.

And, one more bit of advice I learned the hard way - please read this before you start socializing: Leerburg | Socializing Puppies

I had the idea that having my puppy meet and great everybody and every dog was the idea of socializing, and that misunderstanding really set us back. I believe my mistakes contributed to if not actually caused some earlier issues with fear aggression. Thank goodness I didn't ruin her permanently, but I wish I'd read this article and really practiced it before I hit the ground!

Good luck and have fun!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Make sure sure sure she is UTD on shots before puppy parties..
Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Kjdreyer, I'm glad that you posted the link about socializing the pup. I thought that the best way to socialize mine was to bring him to new places and to allow people to come up to him and pet him. Maybe it's because I watched one of his older videos where he allows a group of girls to come up and pet his dog Nick, and feed him treats. But thank you for making me second think about how to socialize my pup!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

You're welcome BensLife!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks so much for all your advice everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.