Potty Training vs. Vaccinations - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Potty Training vs. Vaccinations

Hi All,

So im a new puppy owner and my GSD is about 3 months now. I've had him for a week. When i first brought him home, he had his first series of vaccinations. I tried potty training him for the 1st and 2nd day. Thing is, i live in a tri-level townhome and i do not have a yard where he can eliminate. I do have a front porch and i've tried and tried and tried taking him out in front, but he just would not go. I've tried puppy pads out in the house and he totally missed and then tried to puppy pads outside my porch so he can be familiar what to do, but nope, no go. My BF's sister who came over the second day, told me he'd probably go on the grass. Mind you, i dont have a yard, BUT i do have a small walking area right across my house where people walk, especially their dogs. She took him out there and there you have it, he went!! So since then, we've been taking him to that grass area to eliminate.

My concern is because he is a new pup who had his first vaccine series, who just got his second set yesterday; is it still okay? (i mean a lil' too late because he's been going on the grass for a week now) but do i have anything to worry about? I know PARVO is the main thing and a lot of my neighbors walk there dogs in that area but you can never be too sure. It is a newly built walk area, about 6 months new in our new community home. But i do watch him very closely every time he has to go.

I took him to the vet yesterday (where he got his 2nd set of vaccines) and i asked the nurse about it, and she said if it's the only way, then its okay, but just to be careful. Im just confused because i know him eliminating is important and his immune system is too! So you can see the predicament that im in.

I just dont want to look like the new mom who is putting her baby in danger. Owners who live in townhomes, apartments, or homes with no yards, what did you guys do with your puppy? And what are your suggestions and advice?

Thanks so much!
Jinny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with your vet's nurse. I would just be careful to potty him in a relatively clean spot that doesn't have any dog poop.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just got a 8 wk old Sunday. I took her to the vet 1st thing Monday. She had worms which the vet said was normal and she got her 2nd set of shots. I'm worried also. I know it sounds silly but maybe try boots for him? I know that parisites are easy to catch so maybe if you keep his feet covered and try as best as you can from letting him lick the ground he will be ok until he gets a little older and his immune system gets stronger. Just an idea...good luck
thegsdis4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well after participating in several parvo and distemper thread since I've been here, my puppy when I get him/her, will not be on the ground anywhere another dog his been until three weeks after there last shot!

I lost a puppy to pavro 12 yrs ago, She lived one week after I got her! I plan on taking zero chances in the future!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I too live in a townhouse and have a young puppy. He is 14 weeks now but I got him at 7 1/2 weeks. I take him out on a leash and am mindful were I place him. I find a clean spot and watch carefully where he explores. I bring him in and I wash his paws with soap and water. It is a little time consuming but it gives me piece of mind and keeps my baby safe!
Be sure to stay on top of puppy vaccines and he should be fine!! Good luck
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.