German Shepherds Forum banner

Just 2 more weeks!!

3K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  BensLife 
#1 ·
Hi! My name is Ben and I went to go see my puppy and put a deposit down on him this morning! I'm excited and I've been researching and reading a lot about the GSD breed and hope I become a good parent! He's such a wonderful boy and I can't wait!

I've made a huge shopping list on what I need to buy, such as:

cage
6' leash
Retractable leash
Collar
Food/water bowl
Teething toys
Toys such as the chuck it
Bedding
Accident sprays
Bitter spray
Poop bags
Treat bag

If I left or need to include anything let me know! And without further adieu, my boy.. Mushu!

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Ben,

How old is Mushu? 8/10 wks? What a cute chunky monkey! :) He looks like such a big handsome boy already.

Just a few ideas...

Have you thought about bully or pizzle springs? Puppies love 'em and a bully spring can keep him quiet for upwards of an hour. I like the coiled shape because they're less of a choking hazard.

Make sure the accident sprays have odor-destroying enzymes. Otherwise those accident spots are going to seem like the most attractive, familiar places for your puppy, who is currently building his meager bladder strength.

**Also a big housebreaking helper**--I attached a few jingle bells to a ribbon which I then looped a couple of these around each door handle that belonged to an exterior door (This is the DIY version of a training aide that sells for about $20 at the pet store). If you want to teach him this method you have to make the correlation that jingle bells=potty. Just teach him that every time he hears that jingling noise the door opens. Jingle, open, say a word that means potty time. I say "business", for example. Make sure you're doing this for about every 30 mins for the first few weeks that your pup is home. It didn't take my puppy too long to learn how to ring the bells herself, ha ha!

May I ask what kind of puppy food you're planning on using? I used grain-free kibble for the first three months with my pup then later switched to Bravo! raw (which is a frozen pre-made and easier for my schedule as a pre-med student). I wish I had done it sooner as I noticed that puppy zoomies were much less extreme on the raw diet. Also I saw healthier coat and stool..just my two cents plus there is a great thread on this forum on the benefits of raw feeding.

I used Zuke's minis on the recommendation of my trainer as they are the right size to keep puppy's attention focused on YOU during brief training sessions.

Do you have any rope toys for tug? I found that this is a very fun game for puppies and you have the chance to teach them to play properly. Also you will get a chance to see what kind of drive your pup has.

I heard bad things about GSDs and wire crates but my pup adjusted to hers splendidly. She now has chew-proof sheepskin bedding though. I learned the hard way about how destructive those little razor teeth are in a determined puppy. ;) I think its all about how you approach the crate training. What did you go with? Let us know!

Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks!

And thank you diarmuid957 for the long response and tips!!

Currently Mushu is 6 weeks old and is waiting to get his health certificate and becoming 8 weeks before he can come home to me!

I have looked at puzzle toys and didn't know which kind of puzzle I should get him. I want to keep him busy for a little bit when I'm doing my homework or studying (pre-dent student :p). But I will look into the spring ones like you suggested!

I always thought of doing that way of potty training, teaching him to ring the bell and telling me that he needs to go. How long did it take you to teach your puppy? And do you recommend putting him in the cage after he eats or to watch him and let him go about 30minutes later?

I plan on feeding him the diamond brand food you get from the store I forgot what it's called, to ease my pup into raw. My girlfriend is against raw feeding because she thinks it's bad for the dog and that it'll make the dog viscous and that it's not good because the dog will get sick from eating raw. I'm all for feeding raw, but need to ease him into it so he doesn't get an upset stomach.

I do have tug toys for him when he comes home and I must say his drive is there. The breeder I got him from breeds working lines, he breeds for police so I know the dogs drive will be up there. When I came over to his kennel he kept tugging and pulling on the rope toy with his brother and me.

I read reviews that the wired cages may seem like a bad idea but I'm not sure if I should buy this certain cage or not. I bought the Midwest life cage and saw that the wires could potentially harm my pup so I'm kind of worried about that, what do you think? And I bought him the akc Casablanca round solid pet bed. Let me know if this is good, if not I can just change up my shopping list!

Thanks for the replies!

#6 ·
I heard puppies do really well being switched to raw cold turkey style.

Also Zukes got bought out by a different brand so I don't use those anymore.

Bells were a lifesaver. Took my puppy just a few days to get it down pat

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies! I will try both treats you guys suggested and try and see which one he likes best!

I will try and do the bell potty training, wish me luck!

I got my puppy from Top Guns K9 Training Kennels. They're amazing people. Located in Hollister, FL. If anyone is located around North Florida they're great. He breeds dogs for police work and also make sure his dogs have good hips before breeding!

I was wondering how I should approach training Mushu though, I want to train him in an open field but I'm not sure how to really work with him where he is comfortable and be willing to learn. The living room is fine too, but I want to start training him on recalls and fetching!

#9 ·
Hey Ben,

6 weeks! He certainly is a big guy! Does the breeder have an idea of his adult size? Sorry for the length of my posts I just feel like there's so much great info to share!

1. I try not to use hot dogs as training treats because of the nitrates and fillers and parts-is-parts. Plus I just don't care for the texture in my hands. Very slimy. I usually turkey bacon from Trader Joe's which my pup does pretty much anything for. It's cheap and healthy. It's great for "leave it" , recall and "find it" games (because it's pungent).

2. For an intro to raw feeding, check out this video: Raw Meat Diet for Dogs and Cats - YouTube

Then this article:Common Raw Feeding Mistakes That Can Be Harmful to Your Pet

I think it might answer a lot of questions your GF has. Have to say that raw feeding will NOT negatively affect your dog's temperament. You can only get GREAT results from a proper, balanced raw diet. That's like saying eating YOU ketogenic (predominately protein-based) diet would make YOU bloodthirsty. :crazy:

Thankfully there are companies who have taken most of the guesswork out of raw feeding, especially at the intro stage. Check out Bravo!..the pre-ground format is really attractive to puppies as they don't have to do a whole lot of chewing. Supplements like coconut oil and plain kefir are a good idea. You can supplement with a raw knuckle or femur for after-mealtime teeth cleaning. As a pre-dent student you should definitely be able to appreciate the pros of pearly whites and the absence of gum disease later on!

I switched my pup to raw right after I noticed her coat was beginning to look dull and her hyperactivity was off the charts. Also she was developing skin allergies.

3. As for the potty training it only took me a couple of days to reinforce the idea that jingles=potty. Just be consistent and hit that darn bell every time you go outside. Make sure Mushu knows what you're doing. Hold a treat by the bell, get him to touch it with his paws or nose, then say "business!" and open the door. Yes, every 30 mins should be fine. If you're playing outside the crate or confined area, you might want to slash that to twenty.

4. Also..you might want to start by feeding him in the crate. The crate must be the place where only good things happen...food, treats, chews, toys...you get the idea. I heard that wrapping a ticking clock (imitating his litter mates' heartbeats) in a towel and placing it in the crate for the initial housebreaking can make the pup feel more secure. I personally didn't get around to trying that one...but it might be an interesting experiment.

5. As for recall in the open field...you better add a 20' nylon leash to your list. This will allow you to work on recall in a space with a lot of distractions (smells, sights, etc) while having complete control of your pup. Training Positive on YouTube has a great series of introductory training videos. Do you have a clicker or are you going to use vocal commands only?

6. Just have reasonable expectations...at this point with the puppy it's all about playtime and fun and learning the rules of the house. Puppy obedience classes are a worthwhile investment. Look into puppy agility for when he's a little older. I got this idea after watching my pup create her own agility course with the household furniture.

Don't feel pressured to socialize outside of a structured setting such as puppy class. I'm glad I skipped the dog parks. Your little guy is going to want you to keep him safe from bigger, older dogs. Until he his closer to his adult size and mental state, he doesn't need the trauma of getting picked on at the dog park. That being said, he will need guidance from older well-behaved dogs. You might try to get him around stable GSDs with good temperaments. Maybe your breeder or trainer has suggestions?

7. Funny story--I was out at the park on Saturday with Herzen (my pup) and I was approached by a MWD handler whose specialty training is bomb dogs. I don't know why but she goes crazy right now for law enforcement guys and military...she just wriggles her tail off when she see policemen! I think she's trying to go K9 on me. ;) Luckily with these individuals the love is mutual.

Anyway, the MWD guy told me that they don't even start working with GSDs until two years old. This is not the first time I've heard this. True enough, Herzen is a highly-intelligent goofball right now at 8 months. The MWD handler said she appeared to have every indication of a great sniffer. We're already working on upping her SAR game.

Keep researching the interwebs, you sound like you're doing a great job! If you think of anything else to ask just let me know.

#10 ·
Yeah for 6 weeks he is a big guy! I got to see the father and mother of Mushu and I have to say they are pretty big dogs.

1. I don't mind trying different treats out, but I do not want to feed my puppy anything that can harm him! I never really thought of that about hotdogs, I know some members like to use it but I don't even eat hotdogs so I think i'll try the turkey bacon since there is a Trader Joes down the road from me!

2. I've actually been reading a lot and researching a lot about raw feeding and I know I am going to feed Mushu that. I just have to find the right balance of what to feed him that will benefit him the most. Funny thing is, is that my father owns a market that buys raw meat that I can just bulk order from!

3. I do plan on focusing on potty training him when he gets home, but the thing is I don't know how long he will be able to last in the cage without a potty break. I know some people say an hour per month of age? Not really sure but I won't be gone longer than 4 hours at most.. I know this is a long time but I could also get my girlfriend to take him out in between when I'm gone.

4. Yeah, I want him to feel like that crate is a safe place for him to go into. I have had bad experience in the past with my little dog I have at home.. He doesnt mind being in the cage now but making the cage a safe place for him to go into is what I want to do.

5. I just added that on my list! I think I also have a 20' leash somewhere in the house, I just gotta look lol! I do plan on buying him different toys so he doesnt get bored or using it for different situations like teething or training.

6. I cant wait to start training him.. I am searching all around Gainesville, FL for any obedience classes but I'm not sure if there are any good ones around! Hopefully in these 2 weeks that I have left I can go around and find a good class and trainer that I can go to!

I don't plan on taking him to the dog park because I heard not so good things about that. I will ask my breeder when I go back to him in 2 weeks and ask him about the best way to socialize him.

7. Haha thanks for sharing that story about Herzen! It just makes me feel so excited that I will have this little guy in my home in the next 2 weeks!

Thank you for your response!

#11 ·
The only thing I can add involves getting good advice from your vet about when and where you should take a pup that young. We avoided walking in our neighborhood, parks, and stores until she was 4 months old and had her last set of shots. My vet instructed us to keep her in our yard until that time. I have a 2-acre yard in a rural area, so we actually kept her pretty close to the house during that time.

#13 ·
Yes...I would think an hour would be the limit for the first few weeks. If your puppy is on the right day/night schedule, then you should get about five or six hours during the night. If your girlfriend is willing to help that's great. I know I relied a lot on my family for help during that first week--except for the graveyard shifts! Those were on me. :p

Glad to hear about the raw feeding. Lucky you on the sourcing! Wish I could find an affordable butcher in Nashville. I moved from Clearwater a year ago and I still can't find a butcher, much less one I like....arrgh. I realize I was spoiled for choice in FL. (So glad Trader Joe's is catching on down there now!) So for now the Herzen's raw comes from the pre-ground. It's a little expensive but then again so is buying retail.

One thing you might want to consider is having a bath mat, rug or pad where you can have your pup lie--a place that's his outside of the crate. (maybe a confined area like a playpen?) For instance, you can teach him to go lie down and wait while you make his food or it can be a place to practice "stay". Same crate rules apply though--no punishment on the mat and he can only stay there on for very brief amounts of time in the beginning.

Since you don't have a fence at home, use the long lead to let Mushu explore. I found that going to parks at off times of the day was both exciting for Herzen and gave her a chance to get used to different surroundings. I took her pretty much everywhere with me.

Except for fleas and ticks (I use diatomaceous earth for topical prevention), I don't think your pup should be exposed to too much of a health risk. Just depends. Ask your breeder about that one, I think they have a lot more experience over time and can tell you the straight up facts. Fortunately for me I was able to text or email my breeder with any questions I had about the process.

Our breeder is also our trainer and she hosts puppy classes every week as well. That's really important for the imprinting phase (8-16 wks).

Keep us posted with pics when Mushu comes home. :)

#14 ·
Wow.. only about a week left til he comes home and I have to say that I'm getting really nervous and excited! I'm nervous because I've been watching so many videos and reading so many articles/books that I hope that I can use the knowledge that I've learned and put it into use.

I was wondering, is there certain questions I should ask my breeder such as,
-how should I socialize my dog?
-how should I do this.. etc?

Thanks!

#15 ·
something i can add is ask for a towel from your breeder that has the scent of his litter mates. that should help with the first night at home and place the towel with him when its bed time. Also maybe look into getting some sort of seat cover for your car because just think of this pup attached to your hip when you first bring him home. you go to grab a quick lunch bring the pup, gotta grab some groceries bring the pup! remember that socialization isnt just introducing him to other dogs or humans it has to do with introducing him to different situations. Another big tip bring him to playgrounds teach him that humans are not only big but they are small too. also it would be helpful to bring a tug toy or treats on these adventures so you can work on focusing with distractions around. Teething rings should also be on the list the kind with the nubs on them to help sooth his poor sore mouth. If you dont have a fenced in backyard I recommend some sort of play pen for when you need a break and he needs to play around. Congrats on new pup and post lots of pictures when you bring him home!

#16 ·
Thanks for the reply Daisyline!
I do plan on bringing a towel so I can rub it on his mom and his littermates so that he would feel more comfortable at home. I do plan on bringing him everywhere I go to bring him out to new places. I'm just afraid that people will come up to him and start petting him or scaring him because he is just a puppy. But thanks for the tips!

#17 ·
My advice to the people coming up to him and scarring him concern politely ask said people to allow the pup to come to them. And be sure not to reassure him if he seems timid allow him to figure it out on his own and once he make the first move towards them praise him and once he is completely to them or sniffing them allow them to give him a treat and do a ton of praise. This builds his confidence for the future. Just be sure not to give him and reassurance or praise if he is acting timid.

#28 ·
I'd play it safe and keep the pup from any sources of parvo. " The disease is highly contagious and is spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their feces. It can be especially severe in puppies that are not protected by maternal antibodies or vaccination"

All those wonderful places people bring their pups....vet clinics , PetSmart..dog parks...etc...can be a place where pups can contract Parvo. Even folks walking into your house who have been to these places...wouldn't be the worst idea to have them leave their shoes outside the house until your pup is fully vaccinated....asking your vet is the best.

SuperG

#23 ·
take the week to prepare yourself for making good decisions in management .
Lots and lots of information on this great forum about dog parks .
If this was one of my pups I would tell you do not go .

you asked about socializing , visit http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...0-rethinking-popular-early-socialization.html

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

think about vaccinations --

great little magazine to subscribe to on-line and hard copy which covers vet written articles covering , vaccinations, feeding , health care is Dogs Naturally Magazine Dogs Naturally Magazine

welcome , lovely looking pup , and wishing you all the best with him

#29 ·
Hanks for the reply SuperG. I will make sure my puppy does not go where other dogs have been!

Also, I made another thread earlier but haven't gotten any responses yet so I guess I'll try it here.
I'm planning to buy my puppy a harness and seat harness but I don't know his girth size at the moment. And what will his girth size grow to when he is 3-4 months old? I need a general idea so I know which size to get before I order it online. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.