German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Timeline for milestones... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/419713-timeline-milestones.html)

Drew Orleans 03-05-2014 09:06 AM

Timeline for milestones...

Getting my little guy tomorrow night and I can't wait. I know his development and the answers to the following questions will rely heavily on how bad/good I am at training, however, how long does it typically take for...

him to sleep through the night?

get house broken to where he won't pee the second I look away?

will actively seek me out to let me know he needs to pee?

won't bark all day in the kennel while my wife and I are at work?

won't chew my stuff up?

can be trusted to roam the house freely instead of being kenneled while I'm at work/sleeping?

I'm sure I'll add more questions later...

Thanks.

Drew Orleans 03-05-2014 09:07 AM

I have a general idea on the answer to each but would like to hear a little more about it

Me_and_Kali 03-05-2014 09:46 AM

never mind. i misread the question -_-

Drew Orleans 03-05-2014 10:55 AM

Bummer. Thought I had a response.

JakeInJersey 03-05-2014 11:19 AM

I'll do my best to answer these with my limited experience :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Orleans (Post 5138849)
Getting my little guy tomorrow night and I can't wait. I know his development and the answers to the following questions will rely heavily on how bad/good I am at training, however, how long does it typically take for...

him to sleep through the night?

Varies a lot, but somewhere around 4-8 months

Quote:

get house broken to where he won't pee the second I look away?
This probably won't actually completely END until ~9 months.. but it'll probably stop happening often somewhere between 3-6 months.

Quote:

will actively seek me out to let me know he needs to pee?
Basically same answer as above.

Quote:

won't bark all day in the kennel while my wife and I are at work?
Anywhere from 9 weeks to never. :p

Quote:

won't chew my stuff up?
Depends on WHY he's chewing stuff. If it's mostly because of teething, it'll stop for the most part when he's done teething (5-8 months). If it's because he's bored, it'll never end. Big stress here on providing a) mental stimulation and b) something acceptable to chew on and teaching them what's ok and what isn't.

Quote:

can be trusted to roam the house freely instead of being kenneled while I'm at work/sleeping?
Varies greatly. In my experience, somewhere around 12-16 months.. but some will never be allowed to roam. Depends on how much you like your stuff ;)

A LOT of the answers to these questions depend on
a) how much your breeder worked with them as puppies
b) how attentive and consistent you are, and
c) your dog. Seriously, they're all individuals.. so the above are guesses because you never really know how it's going to work out. Some puppies will never once pee in the house, others will take months to figure it out.. regardless of (a) and (b).

Whiteshepherds 03-05-2014 11:39 AM

Haven't been on here in a while, congratulations on the new pup!! He's Pipers half brother, same dam. Sires are littermates. :)

To housebreak I take them out at least every hour, usually more often because they go out right after they eat or drink, when they start to squat and if I think they're thinking about squatting. Also if they've been running around playing...they run, they play and bam! They pee.
It's a lot of work the first few days but they get the idea pretty quick.

Drew Orleans 03-05-2014 11:49 AM

Awesome, thanks.

Can you tell me a little about the dam. I know a ton about the sire but not seeing any info on the site about the mom...