German Shepherds Forum banner

Things you wish someone had told you before bringing home your first GSD

7K views 53 replies 36 participants last post by  RubyTuesday 
#1 ·
What are some things you wish you had been told/didn't know about GSDs before bringing home your first furbaby? :)

#6 ·
They shed.

You're never "done" training. :gsdbeggin:

They shed and need regular grooming.

A well-trained GSD gives you unrealistic expectations for human children. :hammer:

They shed and need regular grooming. Invest in a high-quality vacuum.

Go ahead and cancel the gym membership. Walking outside and playing with your best friend is a far better workout.
:doggieplayball:

#9 ·
How much you need to be aware of your own demeanour/state of mind. They're crazy sharp and really catch on (and can take advantage if you're meek, depending on the dog). You can't lie to a dog, so need to be genuinely calm and confident.

#10 ·
Things my GSD puppy has taught me:
1. Silence is no longer golden. Silence means trouble.
2. The government really should start studying mine as some sort of alternative energy source. He keeps going... and going... and going. He's not unlike the Energizer Bunny. This is all fine and dandy until it's -20 F outside, and he wants to keep playing :cry: My exercise habits have completely changed!
3. I now own stock in lint roller companies. My wardrobe is black. My dog is white. Also, dog hair is a new dietary staple.
4. Sick days, bad days... these are no longer an option. It doesn't matter. He forces me to get off my butt and work!
5. I never thought I could be so crazy in love and bonded to an animal. :)

#11 ·
Really really serious dogs and somethings that you take for a given might have to be taught, 'NO" we don't eat company!

The fact that at the one year mark, your not done and cruising, you might just be starting (see above) and have you heard the term Dominate "Aggressive" Male and you have seen one?

How important is having a safe dog to you? How willing are you to learn,. train and grow? How many dogs do you currently have? Do you really "know" what being a pack leader means?

Temperament,nerve, working line show line...

Get it right you've actually done something, get it wrong...good luck with that!

Oh yeah the fur the fur!!!!

#14 ·
What a great question. For me the list is a bit long and I wish someone with experience had sat me down and discussed with me over a coffee these things:

1) Zeeva is big! (92-93lbs). I know this sounds silly but I had no idea she'd follow so closely in the steps of her parents in terms of size...I thought she'd be 'standard'.

2) Zeeva is nervy. Possibly due to genetics; possibly due to training. I had no idea GSDs can be nervy if not purchased from a 'reputable' breeder. Again, I thought she'd have the 'standard' characteristics of a GSD.

3) Zeeva is so loyal. I read that they were loyal but based on my husky's independence, I didn't think she'd be my shadow the way she is. I didn't realize that breed makes such a big difference in temperament.

4) The puppy phase requires A LOT of work! I had no idea potty training would be so difficult. Smokey came as a potty trained rescue. The teething. Omg! She ate a few of my heels!

5) They calm down A LOT after about the age of 2 1/2 3ish...Man did I struggle with wanting to rehome her. But now she's a marshmallow-couch potato.

6) Owning a 2nd dog is more than twice the work.

7) Socialization is an important component of a puppies life, both with humans and with other dogs. Again, I know it might sound silly, and we still struggle with aggression/fear, but if you want a stable dog you should know other doggie owners that are willing to help you. Very important to know other stable dogs and owners who are willing to work with you...

8) There is help! In the form of forums, trainers, classes, videos, books etc. You don't have to go through it alone. I still am a solo girl working on our issues, but I know there is help and when the time is right, I will get it.

9) Having a healthy dog can be expensive especially in the form of vet bills...Yikes!

C:

#17 ·
My pups are Czech lines...

1. I remember my first dog was Czech and it really threw me off balance when I realized the dog NEEDS to work on a daily basis. If you can't work them, don't get them.

2. Depending on how big you expect your pup to get -- and if you feed raw -- food for the first few months can cost a lot of money. My male pup right now eats about 2-2.5 pounds a day. It's like that until about 6 months of age.

3. Training is super delicate. Educating yourself takes time and is so so so critical. It's important to know how to read your dog and form them into what you want. Especially with an aggressive, territorial, or dominant male… these types of dogs will own you if you don't know how to own them.

4. You need to know what you want out of your dog before you get one. Then select the right type. There are different bloodlines and different temperaments for different lifestyles.

5. The puppy years are of the essence. You need to spend lots of time with them and teach them how to behave in your world. It can be overwhelming for a first timer (it was my first time). But you must learn to love it. It's a huge payoff when you do it right. If you neglect or don't do it right, you're in for problems down the road (especially with highly driven dogs).

6. Clipping nails, cleaning ears, socializing with children, socializing with cats, car rides, etc… these are all important to do from an early age. If you don't, they are hard to acclimate to later.

7. Be prepared to spend lots of money on videos. Be prepared to stay up late watching youtube clips. It's a learn-as-you-go thing for a first timer. My first puppy shut my life down for a couple months. It was like getting tossed in a pool - sink or swim. I have 2 pups at the moment and it's a piece of cake.

Of all of these, I think the most important is EDUCATE YOURSELF. Know what you want from your dog and learn how to do it. Whether it be sport, companion, personal protection, etc… know what it is you're trying to accomplish and absorb the data. Then jump in the pool and swim. You'll get good at it eventually.

#18 ·
The landsharky phase was something I wish I knew about (I know my hands wished they knew what they were in for :p ) and it took months to fix/redirect. No more landsharking (1 1/2 years old now).

How often I'd have to trim his nails :p like once a week right now especially since I slacked off for a month and now am slowly trimming them back to where they were before I take him to get them dremmeled.

How much I would love a GSD because now I don't want another breed haha the only one I've ever considered now is a corgi because I've been told they're like a GSD in a small body :D

#22 ·
How smart they are. I have grown up with this breed and after not having a gsd for a few years and raising a border collie x, a pit bull and a beagle my gsd puppy amazed me with his intelligence. How they, unlike any breed of dog, can look at your face and understand you. And how they seem to read people souls when meeting strangers - seriously, that look they give is something else. My guys are super friendly and they still do this, it freaks people out sometimes.
Annnnd, they shed! Even if you feed the best quality food and they shed soooo much less than they used to, they still shed!

#23 ·
How quickly they enter and captivate your heart.

How SMART they are, I have both a poodle and GSD and you can literally see the intelligence in their eyes as they figure out problems.

They truly are velcro dogs, get used to having a nose up your butt and a big shadow following you no matter where you go.

The more you train them the more they want to learn

#31 ·
How SMART they are, I have both a poodle and GSD and you can literally see the intelligence in their eyes as they figure out problems.
This is SO true!

Sometimes I think my dog is smart, and then I'll talk to her and tell her "Oh, do you know what? I have something for you that you're really going to lov..." and before I can tell her I was going to give her a special treat, she takes off and sits at the counter where the treats are and then keeps poking her head around the corner to see if I'm coming! lol!

I could understand if I said 'treat' or 'supper' or 'hungry', but I didn't. And that was when I realized, she might have more of a grasp of the English language than I thought! Or maybe it was a lucky guess, but I was literally a bit stunned for a moment that she knew what I was about to say. lol

Or the time I bought her a puzzle to occupy her keen mind. I was so excited to challenge her little brain...until she decided the fastest way to get the treat out was to throw the toy against the wall and break it open. LOL!

The one thing I didn't realize, I had planned on doing lots of training, but I didn't realize how much and for how long. I also knew they were intense when they were working, but for some reason I didn't realize how intense they are about everything they do, from playing, to snuggles to listening to you talking to them. The things I love are occasionally the things I hate about her, but there is something so amazing about the bond they have with their people, I can see why people never need another breed after a GSD...if they survive their first, that is. lol

#26 ·
I wish someone would have told me that how much they shed, lol.

Seriously though, I never knew that he would become the love of my life, I didn't know that he would mean so much to me, I didn't know that I would constantly worry about him, I didn't know that he would become my life. :wub:

#27 ·
1. How big he'd really get (still not full grown and already bigger than our middle aged lab).
2. How smart he'd be (breaks out of kennel regularly).
3. That dog training isn't like on a show. It takes a LOT of time, patience, and communication.
4. How much he'd EAT.
5. How much dog hair Id eat on a regular basis. Lol

*-*Summer*-*

#32 ·
1. Even with single coat, shedding. My dyson has paid itself off after the first time I vacuumed up a quilt of Olivia fur.

2. The energy levels and varying degree of prey drive.

3. Their intelligence. You always hear how a dog is really smart. And until you witness it firsthand where your well-laid plan was foiled with such ease, you wonder how your 1 year old puppy just outsmarted you.

4. Stubbornness, especially around training. Often, Olivia knows the command, but tests me to see how much leeway she has.

5. How much you miss your puppy during the day. No matter how awful work is, sitting down with my puppy and having her relieve my day is something I can always count on.

#33 ·
I'll be bringing my little girl home march 20th and can not wait threads like this make me so excited to bring her home. Right now I'm in the process of puppy proofing the house ( as much as one can). I can't wait o bond with her and look forward to the shadow at my hip. Any recommendations on chewing deterrent sprays?
Here is my little girl

We are deciding between Lena , Kara ( car-uh) , or Ava

#34 ·
Ah yes, chewing sprays. Ask most people, and they will say this spray will work on 90% of dogs. Guess who had one belonging to the 10%... I happened to taste it and it was awful, yet Olivia loved it.

The best action you can take as a new owner is redirection. Your pup will chew during different stages. Start redirecting as early as possible. I found carrying a toy in my pocket at all times was beneficial. The moment Olivia began to chew, a quick command to stop and redirecting her to a toy worked wonders. I recommend bringing one on your walks as well. The key is the command - six months down the road, you want to give the command and the chewing stops immediately.

Enjoy the next two weeks of sound sleep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.