Bringing toy breed into home of 1.5 y/o GSD. Advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Bringing toy breed into home of 1.5 y/o GSD. Advice?

In several weeks, I will be picking up my new pet and bringing it home to meet the current furry residents. As of right now, our dogs consist of a 1.5 y/o GSD and a 2.5 y/o border collie and retriever mix (both females). They love to romp, wrestle, and chase each other around the home. Unfortunately, the owner of the mixed dog will be moving out and collie/retriever's spot will be replaced by my new MALE pomeranian puppy (aged approximately 2-3 months).

My concern lies with the GSD's ability to adapt to a gentler play-style in the presence of a much younger, smaller, and fragile breed. Will the pomeranian get bullied and terrorized by our too energetic and playful GSD? Does gender play a role in compatibility?

I'm probably overreacting, but I don't want my new puppy to get eaten alive during "playtime".

tl;dr -
Bringing 3 month pomeranian (male) home to meet 1.5 y/o GSD (female). Need advice to prevent dog-on-dog crime!
SLIMFASTSUCCESS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can obviously only speak for my own dog, but he lives with an 8 pound dog and he does great. When he stays with his trainer he is with other large dogs and is very rough. When he gets back home he is able to switch right back to being gentle. My GSD is close to 2. Both my dogs are male - my GSD was unneutered when he first started living with the small dog.

It took quite awhile for me to trust the dogs together, but now I am ok with it. I was a bit nervous about the GSD hurting the smaller dog. I kept the GSD on a leash at first. They are never alone together either. We crate both when we are gone.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Join a Pommy board, I think they exist? Course they all might be clueless. You GSD "is" top dog you have to make sure he knows that.

I only knew one Pommy, and he was top dog, two dog family the second dog was submissive to the point of embarrassment! But AFAK, Pommies always think they are top dog! That is what I would be on the look out for.

Further info:

Leerburg On Demand | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with other Dogs

If you get a different breed, do your research on the new breed, I didn't my GSD took exception to my BullMastiff/Pitt mix Dominate Male... GSD Dominant Aggressive Male!!! My only "advantage" was that they never really hurt each other while "I' was getting my act together!

A toy dogie can't handle many owner mistakes!

Last edited by Chip18; 02-28-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am hoping since the GSD is female and by some miracle, her maternal instinct might kick in and she will dote on the baby pom instead of treat him like a wrestling opponent...
Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Whatever you do don't carry the puppy in above your other dogs heads. It's intimidating. I did this when we brought our shepherd home and my other dogs esp my Great Dane were not happy. Took awhile for them to adjust. Keeping an eye on them like a hawk. Took a good month. Now all is fine. They learn to play gently they just know. Congrats to you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Our Tess was 1.5 when our daughter brought this little girl home, they are the best of friends. Although Tessa wins when they play tug-of-war...
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you have a cage to keep the new pup in? How I did it with Jonas and Penny was: I set up a temporary cage in the living room. Penny went in there for her protection and so Jonas could see her. The first time I introduced them, I thought it was not going to work out. Jonas looked like he wanted to eat her. I put her back in the cage, and Jonas would lay there and watch her. After her first day and night there, the next day was a little different. Jonas was laying there at her cage. "all of this was under strict supervision" Jonas would put his nose up to the cage and Penny would paw at him and bark. Both dogs would be wagging their tails. Jonas growled a few times and I would say no Jonas and pet him. When he would growl, I made him leave Penny's cage. A half a day later; both dogs were pawing each other and nosing each other. I would let penny out of the cage after that, and let the two together a few minutes, or until my big boy would growl; then I would put Penny back in the cage for her safety. After a while Jonas would come to me and ask for Penny to be let out of the cage. It took about a week of this until both dogs could be around each other stress free. Now these two are inseparable. You just have to be very careful and commit 100% supervision to make sure nothing happens. "watch the body language of your older dog. after a while the more I took Penny away from Jonas, the more he wanted to see her. (this is what worked for me) (It may be the wrong way to do it, but it worked very good for Jonas and Penny) "I am in no way saying this is the way it should be done" I am just saying how I did it with my two.
Attached Thumbnails
Bringing toy breed into home of 1.5 y/o GSD. Advice?-untitled-0-00-39-29.jpg  

Last edited by Loneforce; 02-28-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Would you recommend that I keep both cages near one another for the first few days? I was planning on keeping the GSD in the livingroom where her crate is currently and putting the new pom crate in my bedroom for a bit. I assumed that the pom would be terrified of a GSD staring him down all day and night.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMFASTSUCCESS View Post
Would you recommend that I keep both cages near one another for the first few days? I was planning on keeping the GSD in the livingroom where her crate is currently and putting the new pom crate in my bedroom for a bit. I assumed that the pom would be terrified of a GSD staring him down all day and night.
Definitely keep them separated for a while, in cages. They will be curious of each other. I also think your female shepherds motherly instincts will kick in. They might hit it off good.

Last edited by Loneforce; 02-28-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Bringing toy breed into home of 1.5 y/o GSD. Advice?

Cages in same room sleep in that room for a few nights.
I have always slept near the cage for a few nights even longer

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.