German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Diarrhea - round two! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/417410-diarrhea-round-two.html)

A girl and her dog 02-27-2014 10:55 PM

Diarrhea - round two!

Nonny has diarrhea again :( I took him almost two weeks ago for diarrhea and tapes. He's been on meds for giardia and a pill for the tapes. I had him on the rice/ground meat diet for a few days, then back to raw. He did fine for about a week, now suddenly it's back. I noticed he picked up and tried to eat a piece of poo outside twice! and I thought I got it away from him both times. Literally, fished it out of his mouth.

Last night, he was up at 12am, 4am, 5:30, 8am, .... Luckily he's kenneled at night and as much as I really wanted to sleep and as frustrated as I was to get up just ONE hour after I fell asleep, and each subsequent time, I'm glad he didn't soil his kennel. Good boy!

The only difference is that I switched him from raw after his stools became a bit loose again after they'd firmed back up from the r/gm diet. I gave him Pedigree canned chicken and rice mixed with a cheap brand that I don't recall the name of but didn't have corn listed as the first ingredient. My chi also eats raw and has no issues, always been healthy. He also had some of the canned/dry mix that Nonny had and he hasn't had any problems at all. I also gave Nonny some plain dry this morning thinking this might help, but if anything he's gotten worse. Mostly just stayed the same. He's had three 1/2 tsp doses of Imodium that haven't helped one bit. Well, they were a little firmer the last time, but like melty soft-serve. I'm sure it's not the food, my Chi has had all of the same foods as Nonny and has had no problems.

I'm afraid that what the vet gave for giardia isn't working. She gave me two things- one to give for five days and one for 10 or 14. Either way- he's back to diarrhea and way worse than it was before (round one, two weeks ago). Now it's cannoning out and gassy. The first round was mostly pudding-like and never watery; now it's watery. I've heard that this happens with raw sometimes at first and is nothing to worry about, but I'm worried. I can tell he doesn't feel well either. I know he needs to go back to the vet and I'll probably take him tomorrow. Don't worry, I won't let him suffer or deny him medical care. I would like to see if I can get this under control again before I have to have him tested for things. I can't afford that till next month. I feel so bad for him! I want to let him sleep with me tonight, but I'm scared he won't let me know he needs to go out and will just go on the floor :( I really feel bad for him that he's suffering.

Momto2GSDs 02-28-2014 07:50 AM

"The only difference is that I switched him from raw after his stools became a bit loose again after they'd firmed back up from the r/gm diet. I gave him Pedigree canned chicken and rice mixed with a cheap brand that I don't recall the name of but didn't have corn listed as the first ingredient. My chi also eats raw and has no issues, always been healthy. He also had some of the canned/dry mix that Nonny had and he hasn't had any problems at all. I also gave Nonny some plain dry this morning thinking this might help, but if anything he's gotten worse."

Way too much "stuff" (less than quality food) for a dog who is under the weather! ;)

Is the skin off of your raw? Some dogs have problems with this.

IMHO, best thing for diarrhea is a combination of boiled, boneless, skinless, chicken breast shredded and mix with equal amounts of canned pumpkin (NO spices, just plain pumpkin). Then after his gut is settled for a few days, start adding in small amounts of raw and work back up to full raw.

Also, many, many people have had GREAT success with Kocci Free:
A good Digestive Enzyme/ProBiotic will also help. The following are human grade products to help keep a healthy gut:
Sunday Sundae Nutritional Supplement
The Wholistic Pet

Hope your Baby gets better soon!
Moms:)

JakodaCD OA 02-28-2014 07:54 AM

I agree with MOM,, stick to one type of food. The canned food will give my gsd wicked diarhea especially since I don't feed her canned.

I had some leftover from one of the other dogs that wasn't eating 'anything', I was trying ANYTHING to get him to eat, so to use it up, I was throwing some in Masi's food, BIG mistake! wicked wicked diarhea, stopped the canned, she's back to normal eating her raw.

GatorBytes 02-28-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A girl and her dog (Post 5107442)
. He's had three 1/2 tsp doses of Imodium that haven't helped one bit. Well, they were a little firmer the last time, but like melty soft-serve. I'm sure it's not the food, my Chi has had all of the same foods as Nonny and has had no problems.

I'm afraid that what the vet gave for giardia isn't working. She gave me two things- one to give for five days and one for 10 or 14. Either way- he's back to diarrhea and way worse than it was before (round one, two weeks ago). Now it's cannoning out and gassy. The first round was mostly pudding-like and never watery; now it's watery. I've heard that this happens with raw sometimes at first and is nothing to worry about, but I'm worried. I can tell he doesn't feel well either. I know he needs to go back to the vet and I'll probably take him tomorrow. Don't worry, I won't let him suffer or deny him medical care. I would like to see if I can get this under control again before I have to have him tested for things. I can't afford that till next month. I feel so bad for him! I want to let him sleep with me tonight, but I'm scared he won't let me know he needs to go out and will just go on the floor :( I really feel bad for him that he's suffering.

First of all - Never use Immodium or any related type anti-diarrhea - This is on the MDR1 list and if this can cause seizures in MDR1 dogs, then I would think best to stay away even if not MDR1.

Maybe the drugs are killing off the parasites and the die-off is the issue causing the runny poop. Diarrhea is the bodies way to cleanse.

If you want to use something non toxic and will benefit by helping bind toxins, use "Activated Charcoal"....usually come 260mg. You can give 2 and then wait an hr. and give another 2.

I would give it several hrs. away from meds though as it may bind to that and flush out (which may also be a good thing).

Did your dog test positive for giardia or are they just throwing things out to see what sticks?

(oh, as already noted - stay away from the crap canned food too:) )

blackshep 02-28-2014 10:01 AM

Is he on Metronidazole for the giardia? A rare side effect of it actually causes diarrhea, which I had a vet deny could happen. lol My pups diarrhea was worse on the meds than with the giardia!

My pup did better on Panacur.

Clean everything with hot soapy water, sterilize floors with steam mop. Wash bedding in hot water, bath dog, wash toys EVERYTHING you can think of.

Good luck, I hate giardia with prejudice, I was dealing with it with my dog for months.

Doc 02-28-2014 10:05 AM

Get a case of AD can food from your vet. Also get some Floraforti. Giardia should be controlled with Albon. I prefer the liquid over the pills. Feed small amounts at at - like 1/4 to 1/3 of can every 3 hours of so. When you have 3 or 4 cans of food left, find a limited ingredient kibble or buy some chicken backs and replace one of the feelings with it. I like chicken backs to start because of the high bone content. Feed those for a week then go to chicken leg quarters. Do everything consistently.

Doc 02-28-2014 10:11 AM

Albon can be used for 10 days at a time. Then rest a week and then another round for 10 days. Make sure you keep them full of water - you may want to add some Pedilite with the water.

GSDAlphaMom 02-28-2014 10:12 AM

I haven't read any responses to your post so this may be a repeat but giardia almost always takes more than one round of treatment....sometimes even 3 rounds. Also be aware that the test can show negative if the parasites aren't sluffing off when the test is done. If you get a negative and still have loose stool, do another test in a couple of days. Has he been tested for coccidia? (different test than giardia).

Heidigsd 02-28-2014 10:25 AM

OP - I am sorry that Nonny is having diarrhea again. Nobody else will say it but I would seriously take a look at the raw chicken being the culprit, lots of nasty bacteria in chicken. I know a lady that had a healthy dog and it became infected with Campylobacter from raw chicken and now has IBD and she used to feed a lot of raw.

Dogs can and do get sick from the bacteria in raw meat no matter what anyobody else tells you. I really don't care if people feed raw but it makes me sad to the dogs pay the price because of misinformation.

Maybe get in touch with JJJ89, he just found out his dog become sick from raw meat. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-my-dog-3.html

There is a diarrhea panel that our vet uses if Nikki gets unexplained diarrhea but it's not cheap, I think we paid $160 last time. http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources...hea-panels.pdf

Good luck and I hope he gets better soon.

AmyOle 02-28-2014 01:03 PM

A second recommendation for Kocci Free-- it cleared up my kolachi's recurring diarrhea.