German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Petsmart (advise against or go ahead?) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/417330-petsmart-advise-against-go-ahead.html)

Drew Orleans 02-27-2014 07:33 PM

Petsmart (advise against or go ahead?)

Getting my little guy in a week and can't wait. I'm about to head over to pet smart to knock some shopping out but remember hearing on here that might be a bad idea. Should I be trying to buy everything online instead because you never know what might be lurking in the pet store (parvo)?

I appreciate any and all input.

ZoeD1217 02-27-2014 07:43 PM

I hadn't even thought of that...I bought all our puppy paraphernalia from Pet Supermarket. Pups frequent the place but there's no clinic. If you don't want to deal with shipping is there any pet supply store that doesn't offer veterinary services nearby?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

selzer 02-27-2014 07:43 PM

I certainly would not take the puppy to the pet store. I have purchased stuff from pet stores for pups, but buying on line would limit the number of dogs that might have come into contact with the stuff for your dogs. Parvo is some scary stuff.

Is your breeder going to do the first shots, and when is she doing them?

selzer 02-27-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 (Post 5106114)
I hadn't even thought of that...I bought all our puppy paraphernalia from Pet Supermarket. Pups frequent the place but there's no clinic. If you don't want to deal with shipping is there any pet supply store that doesn't offer veterinary services nearby?

Parvo takes a while to incubate. People take their puppies who they believe are healthy into the store where they walk around and nose things.

Drew Orleans 02-27-2014 07:47 PM

Maybe I'll just wash everything before.

And check that. It's a petco, not petsmart

ZoeD1217 02-27-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 5106130)
Parvo takes a while to incubate. People take their puppies who they believe are healthy into the store where they walk around and nose things.

I took Zoe the first day I got her. I was not a very smart puppy momma that first week before I started doing my homework.

Drew Orleans 02-27-2014 07:51 PM

I won't be taking him. Just making sure I'm ok to shop here. Getting him a week from tonight.

JakodaCD OA 02-27-2014 08:03 PM

honestly don't buy to much, I found mine liked playing with oh, milk jugs, tennis balls stuffed in socks, better than the stuff I bought !

Drew Orleans 02-27-2014 08:06 PM

I mean bowls collars brushes etcetera.

YORCHI 02-27-2014 08:09 PM

I wonder if this is why my dog got sick. I bought her toys immediately after I adopted her from the pet store the shelter recommended to me. :(