Puppy pees when nervous/excited? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy pees when nervous/excited?

My puppy is 4 months 1 week old. She hasnt had this problem before but I've been noticing when she gets either really excited or scared she pee's. For example earlier today I was bringing in groceries and she walked under me and I accidently stepped on her paw but not to the point of where she was hurt or screamed she just pee'd then went and laid down. I'm not sure if this is a big problem or will she just grow out of it? Did anyone else encounter this when they had their puppy?
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Not all puppies do this, but it's not uncommon either. She should outgrow it.

Submissive Urination | ASPCA
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My puppy did this too, whenever he got very excited greeting people. I told DH to act calmer when he came home from work, and tone it down a bit. The friend who would slap his thigh and baby talk, getting my puppy all excited, telling me he didn't mind if my puppy jumped on him - he didn't get to see my puppy anymore, lol. They will usually outgrow this.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have an excited pee'er right now.... patience and consistency is key. Some just develop bladder control slower, etc. Just be consistent with the potty training and don't make a big deal of it when she "leaks", and she'll most likely outgrow it.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Dena was a terrible excited pee'er! She LOVED meeting people, if we were on a little walk around the neighborhood and she even heard voices in the distance she'd look around until she saw the people, and then try to drag me over to meet them. And then she'd pee all over their shoes.

When we had people over we'd put her outside right before they got there, and then we'd bring them out to meet her so she could greet them without peeing in the house. Once she'd emptied herself out, we'd bring her in with us.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

had the same problem it is called submissive/ excited urination, all you have to do especially after arriving is to ignore puppy and slowly start interaction and make sure you do not have dominant behaviours. They do grow out of it eventually but helps to minimize occurences.
Waldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

My puppy is 4 months old and pees every time I'm about to pet him. I hope he grows out of this.

ROLLY
Rolly84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Luger is an excited pee'er, too. We've learned to pretty much not even acknowledge him when we let him out of his crate until we reach the door where the leash is. He'll be wanting to love on us and will rub all over our legs, but if we show him attention he may leak a bit, lol.

Had a funny one (frustrating though) last night. He doesn't like the vacuum at all, running or not. Well, my wife had vac'd earlier in the day and left it sitting out in a corner of the room. Luger kept cautiously approaching, but would JUMP back and "bark! bark! bark!" and jump around while watching it, then repeat the process. I was laughing so hard on the couch that I had to take it a step further. I brought the cord over to the couch and held it with a little tension. When he got close I'd give it a little tug and make the vac roll towards him a bit. OMG that was so funny....until I discovered he peed all over the floor at one point.
GSDav8r is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.