German Shepherds Forum banner

vaccines and socializing

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  KaiserandStella 
#1 ·
I'm taking my pup to the vet for all his shots tomorrow and was wondering how long I would have to wait before I can take him out around other dogs? Also, when I do take him out I was thinking about just starting with the pet store since most days it's too cold out to take my son out in the cold for too long. how do I go about the socializing process? I know Otto will be a hyper mess in the process! do i just let him do his thing until he calms down???

#2 ·
This is what I asked my vet. "How am I supposed to socialize him if he hasn't had his shots yet?"
She said to have him be around vaccinated, healthy dogs. And "Don't take him to the pet store, where there could have been rescue dogs incubating Parvo."

What do you mean by "all his shots"? Is he having his last round?

#5 ·
This is what I go by:

2013 and 2014 Vaccination Protocol
Note: The following vaccine protocol is offered for those dogs where minimal vaccinations are advisable or desirable. The schedule is one Dr. Dodds recommends and should not be interpreted to mean that other protocols recommended by a veterinarian would be less satisfactory. It’s a matter of professional judgment and choice.

9-10 Weeks Old:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)

14-16 Weeks:
Same as above

20 Weeks or Older (if allowable by law):
Rabies

1 Year:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (optional = titer)

1 Year:
Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. See the Rabies Challenge Fund website.

W. Jean Dodds, DVM
Hemopet / NutriScan
11561 Salinaz Avenue
Garden Grove, CA 92843

#6 ·
Once my dog had three sets of shots in, I started taking him to a local doggy daycare for a few hours once a week. It's a small private business and they are great and really work and get to know each dog individually. I purposely didn't ask about vaccines when I went the first time to see if she would ask me (kind of a test!). She was very strict about it and looked at each and every vaccine on my records to make sure they were up to date so I felt comfortable assuming the other dogs there are fully vaccinated too.

In the meantime, our new pup goes everywhere in the car that we do...ie - dropping off kids at school, drive-thrus, etc. and we have walked him outside in our neighborhood in the middle of the street (as opposed to sidewalks where other dogs obviously walk and do their business). Sometimes we literally just sit in our driveway together while I give him treats so he can hear other dogs. And our neighbor has a wonderful 7 year old fully vaccinated Australian Shepherd that is a very balanced dog and has played wonderfully with our new pup (to teach him the "doggie" rules). He has been great and I was so proud when my dog sat nicely while neighbor dog did the "sniff" test on their first visit.

I have taken my dog to pet stores for smells and seeing other dogs (no interaction), but I put a towel down in the cart and he rides in their and I carry him into the store...very careful!

#7 · (Edited)
After the 2nd round, I got Dag into training but fully vetted the training center and he was in with older dogs. We took a chance but wanted to start his training as soon as possible. It allowed him some socialization in a controlled environment with dogs we knew the training center had shot records on. Also the training center has a cleaning regimen. You can smell disinfectant before dog.

Other than that, we took him to our non dog owner friends homes, most had small kids. We have kept him away from anywhere we thought other dogs frequented. This includes pet stores, dog parks, and some hiking trails.

It's not worth the risk. Parvo is nasty. I would say socialize with people now, dogs a little later. Try and keep him from having any traumatic experiences as your trying to build his confidence. He will go through a fear period early, then likely another a little later. Ours has definitely been through one and I believe that is over for now. He is 4 months tomorrow. He has been a lot of places with us, lots of car rides. Visited family and friends numerous times both at home and at their houses.

That is my advice.

#10 ·
Dog trainers and behaviorists love pet stores and dog park dogs, that's where most of there business comes from.

Next batch is the early socialization folks, that want to cram people into their dogs faces. Right dog with sound nerves, no problem! Wrong dog same approach...the dog is now scared of (whoever) people or floppy hats or wheel chairs, etc,etc. Wrong dog can become fearful and submissive.

I chose this approach. I protected my dog, he did not have to chose who's good and who is bad or deal with "I though my dog was friendly folks. He learned to view people as and other dogs as furniture, He understand what normal human interaction looks like.

He's safe in public and can be around other dogs without loosing it. He's not a dog park dog. Not worth the hassle for me.

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog
Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea

And here:http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...0-rethinking-popular-early-socialization.html

No brilliant insight on my part. I had a people aggressive young dog. It was my believe that cramming a bunch of people in his face wasn't the answer? In my case with my dog I was right. :)

Not saying your planned approach is wrong, just showing their is another approch to having a happy well adjusted dog! :)

#12 ·
Thanks for the insight ladies and gents! I wish I had friends to help Otto with human socializing but they have all moved away (military) and I suck at making new one so for now the mail man will have to do lol. He needs more interactions with other animals though. He is aggressive with them but he is rough on my english bulldog who is lazy and rather not be acknowledged. I know I have plenty of time though. Im just so anxious to take him out and show him to the world!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#16 ·
Slow down a bit here.

This is not directed at you! It's what I did and my conclusions! :p

Dog trainers and behaviorists love pet stores and dog park dogs, that's where most of there business comes from.

Next batch is the early socialization folks, that want to cram people into their dogs faces. Right dog with sound nerves, no problem! Wrong dog same approach...the dog is now scared of certain (whoever) people or floppy hats or wheel chairs, etc,etc. This approach with the wrong dog and you can create a fearful and submissive dogie.

The approach I chose was, I protected my dog, he did not have to chose who's good and who is bad or deal with "I though my dog was friendly folks. He learned to view people and other dogs as furniture, He understand what normal human interaction looks like.

He's safe in public and can be around other dogs without loosing it. He's not a dog park dog. Not worth the hassle for me.

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog
Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea

And here:rethinking "popular" early socialization

No brilliant insight on my part. I had a people aggressive young dog. It was my believe that cramming a bunch of people in his face wasn't the answer? In my case with my dog I was right.*

Not saying your planned approach is wrong, just showing their is another approach to having a happy well adjusted dog!*

#14 ·
Our pup likes to ride smack in the middle of our 2 girls on the way there. He alternates on who's lap he lays on! So cute!now in the afternoon, when I say "let's go get the girls!", he heads straight for the car. When he rides with just me, he usually sits in the front passenger seat. He is still little though so that might have to change as he gets bigger. Our kids go to a tiny Montessori school so I have even gotten him out at school in the afternoon and he loves seeing all the kids!

Oh and at our chick-fil-a drive thru, they give Samson a doggie treat! Love it!

#18 ·
This may not be a popular point of view but.. I think even in "safe" places and with "safe vaccinated dogs" there is still a chance that a pup may get Parvo. It can be tracked on human shoes and dog feet from walking about outdoors. Parvo affects dogs with compromised/weakened immune systems. The young, the old, those under stress, with health issues, and dogs on medication. Fully vaccinated puppies can still get it too. It's not a magic solution. Dogs acquire a natural immunity after a certain age regardless of vaccination. Generally, puppies immune systems start to become more adult like from 4-6 months and onward. After a certain age it's very uncommon to see it but it does happen. I think the best we can do is a little bit of everything. Avoid the "unsafe" places, give immune boosting supplements/foods, de-worm, and keep them stress free until they are old enough to go out and explore the world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.