German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Please help, something is wrong with my pup (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/416650-please-help-something-wrong-my-pup.html)

YORCHI 02-26-2014 01:01 PM

Please help, something is wrong with my pup

1 Attachment(s)
This is Princess, we adopted her on Saturday and have been in love with her since our first moments at the shelter with her.

She suddenly became very sad and calm last night and stopped eating her food or any treats. It literally happened within an hour. I got home to walk her and she was incredibly full of energy. When we finished our walk and I went to give her some water and food she suddenly became very calm and started looking sad. She hardly drank water and she did not eat any of the food or treats. I knew something wasn't right when she didn't even stop our small chihuahua from stealing her piece of bacon strip. She slept inside her dog house and this morning when I went to check on her I saw some vomit on the floor and runny feces.

We're gonna call the shelter we got her from today and then see about taking her to a vet. None of our other dogs are sick and we didn't see her eat anything weird. It's so weird, I really hope she doesn't have anything serious.

breeporto 02-26-2014 01:08 PM

Though obviously I can not diagnosis your pup I can help calm your nerves. I'm a veterinary technician and know a couple things about sick pups due to experience from my own and patients of mine. How old is princess? What veterinary care has she had previous to this?Are there any signs of blood or worms in her stool? I know she won't eat now, but was she able to keep down what she was eating and or drinking?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

YORCHI 02-26-2014 01:55 PM

When we adopted her she was being treated for coccidia(?) and we brought the rest of the treatment home with us to complete it, which we are doing.

She is at least 3 months old, but the lady at the shelter did not think she was 4 months yet because her teeth hadn't come out yet.

The shelter administered her first set of shots, the 5 in ones, and she was spayed.

She did not vomit at all before yesterday. This morning when I checked on her is when I noticed that she had vomited, it looked dark brown/red, and her stool looked the same color, it wasn't watery, but it wasn't solid either, it did have a slight bit of watery look on top

llombardo 02-26-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YORCHI (Post 5095202)
When we adopted her she was being treated for coccidia(?) and we brought the rest of the treatment home with us to complete it, which we are doing.

She is at least 3 months old, but the lady at the shelter did not think she was 4 months yet because her teeth hadn't come out yet.

The shelter administered her first set of shots, the 5 in ones, and she was spayed.

She did not vomit at all before yesterday. This morning when I checked on her is when I noticed that she had vomited, it looked dark brown/red, and her stool looked the same color, it wasn't watery, but it wasn't solid either, it did have a slight bit of watery look on top

Take her to the vet, the sooner the better . Throwing up and pooping blood can be a sign of parvo. You don't want to take a chance with parvo.

Shade 02-26-2014 01:58 PM

We could throw out suggestions but really the dog needs to see a vet ASAP. There are many things that can cause those symptoms

sehrgutcsg 02-26-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5095234)
Take her to the vet, the sooner the better . Throwing up and pooping blood can be a sign of parvo. You don't want to take a chance with parvo.

+1

Bloody stool - smells like heck..

Vet fast...

YORCHI 02-26-2014 02:17 PM

It's just so weird to me because it happened super quick. When I took her on the walk she was happy, energetic, totally normal. When we came home she was still fine. When I sat her down to give her a treat with our other small chihuahua that she usually gets incredibly excited about, she just stopped. She sat there staring at the piece of bacon strip by her paws and stared as the chihuahua came right in and took a piece of bacon strip away from her. She didn't even flinch or think twice, just totally let him do what he wanted. After that she just looked and felt really sad. I hadn't seen her throw up or have any watery feces yet either.

Then this morning is when I saw the vomit and the watery feces.

My wife is taking her back to the shelter right now, they're going to take her back to the vet for us and let me know what our options are. If it's something serious then we can't take her back, if it's something small or treatable then we have the option of taking her back and paying the vet ourselves for the treatment. I'm really hoping it's something small, I'm so in love with this dog.

GatorBytes 02-26-2014 04:01 PM

This screams parvo - time is crucial! Get her to vet NOW! Parvo comes on suddenly just like you described - bloody vomit/stool is going to get worse - she needs fluids that she cannot take on her own - NOW!!!

She may not have an immune response from vaccines yet.

YORCHI 02-26-2014 05:54 PM

The shelter asked us to take her back to them so they can take her to the vet for us. So that's what we did, she's back at the shelter now. They're going to take her to the vet today or tomorrow and then let us know the outcome. If it's treatable then we can go pick her up again and pay for the treatment ourselves which is what I'm hoping will happen because I really love her already.

I'm gonna pray that everything goes well, I've had dogs before but I've never had one get parvo so I didn't really know how it happens or how soon. I was really hoping it was just her being tired but I guess not.

llombardo 02-26-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YORCHI (Post 5096506)
The shelter asked us to take her back to them so they can take her to the vet for us. So that's what we did, she's back at the shelter now. They're going to take her to the vet today or tomorrow and then let us know the outcome. If it's treatable then we can go pick her up again and pay for the treatment ourselves which is what I'm hoping will happen because I really love her already.

I'm gonna pray that everything goes well, I've had dogs before but I've never had one get parvo so I didn't really know how it happens or how soon. I was really hoping it was just her being tired but I guess not.

Does the animal shelter have a clinic? This pup needs to be tested for parvo ASAP. It's a deadly disease and there is no time to wait and see. Other animals at the shelter are at risk to. This could turn into a deadly mess:(