What to do about Green Diarrhea? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to do about Green Diarrhea?

My pup Fritz (4.5 months old) has green diarrhea. It started early yesterday morning and he has pooped 8-10 times since then. It ranges from soupy to soft formed loafs (sorry to be graphic). Other than pooping green diarrhea, he is fine. Eating, drinking, and playing like his normal high energy self (currently trying to catch a fly). Everytime he has gone, he has let us know he needs to go out, and hasn't gone anywhere he shouldn't, ie. his kennel or the rest of the house. He did vomit once right before the diarrhea started, but it was mostly grass and water. He had an appointment yesterday to get his 3rd round of DHPPV (we started him on shots as soon as we got him, bc we didn't know his history). When I told the vet about the diarrhea and one time vomit, he didn't seem worried. Basically said, keep him hydrated (no problem there) and if his energy level dropped or if he vomited again to come back in. That was over 24 hours ago and neither one of those things happened.

Not satisfied with doing nothing or wait it out, I looked up online and in my GSD for dummies for home remedies. Now I feel completely overwhelmed and have no idea what to do. There was feed the dog: 100% pumpkin puree; chicken & chicken broth; only pasta or rice; restrict all food/water for 12 hours, and many more suggestions . What should I do?

Thank you!
carabearl12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd see a vet, green diarrhea is often caused by giardia. You'll need to alert your vet to this and have him tested specifically for it (it's a specific test not widely used - so unless your vet suspected it or you asked for it, they would not have done it.)
The birds: Dante - CAG / Nero and Sunshine - Budgies
e.rigby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Whenever my dog gets diarrhea I withhold food for about 12 hours. Then in very small portions give equal parts of soft cooked white rice with boiled chicken or ground beef and a little broth mixed in.If you don't have white rice, pasta is OK. The key is to keep the diet bland and easy to digest. I use the bland diet for a couple days. If you still have diarrhea after the next 24 hours, I'd see the vet. If your dog starts to vomit with diarrhea, then definitely take to the vet.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes, please rule out giardia. Green poop is a classic sign. I would see the vet. Good luck.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.rigby View Post
I'd see a vet, green diarrhea is often caused by giardia. You'll need to alert your vet to this and have him tested specifically for it (it's a specific test not widely used - so unless your vet suspected it or you asked for it, they would not have done it.)
Exactly what I was going to say. Metronidazole works really well.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Our dog had giardia 3x and her poop was not greenish,I know she could be an exception. If your vet did not sound concerned, just watch overnight see if there is improvement. With giardia, you will not see complete recovery with a bland diet, stool will remain soft, like soft serve ice cream.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you everyone! Very helpful! I will call the vet in the morning since they are already closed today. I will also cook up some rice and chicken. Thanks again!
carabearl12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't see where you list what food you have been feeding? Any 'treats' or other edibles going down the hatch? Did you switch food lately? It doesn't take much to mess up their system. Yes, rule out the more serious stuff also.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just left the vet with our 14 weeks old pup and he tested positive for Giardia! Over the weekend I had noticed his stools getting softer (pudding like) and I assumed it was because he had his first frozen marrow bone that messed with his gut. By last night it was more runny and by this morning it was water. I was SO afraid it was the beginning stages of parvo (he has one more shot to go!) so I took him straight to the vet this morning...I didn't even call I just went. It was $22 to test for Giardia and she said it came back a strong positive. She even showed me the test kit with the circle on it.

She prescribed some powdered probiotics and 10 days of antibiotics. BTW, his poop was not green like some said, but brown and watery. Hope you find out what is wrong today and I wish you well!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Glad you caught it and are on the road to recovery. Where about do you live and do you know how the pup got it? Best of luck.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.