Our puppy and our kiddos - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Our puppy and our kiddos

Our pup will be coming home on or after March 15th. I read so many bad cases with dogs and kids and actually my son was bit by a foster boxer this past summer. My kids are 5 1/2 Boy(he was the one bit in the face....he was about three feet from the dog when the bit happened, I was right there....the dog just jumped up an bit him....he was evaluated through the boxer rescue and decided they could not adopt him out so he was put to sleep sadly, he had some major issues and a sad past that we were not informed of) 4 1/2 girl, and 2 1/2 year old twin boys. How do I go about the first few days,months,etc of their interactions? I will never leave them alone of course. But how much interaction is okay? Should the older kids help in training? Any other info is appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Ok, I am by no stretch of the imagination a dog behaviorist. Or kid behaviorist. I've raised both a few times over and this is my opinion.

Kids should be allowed to give the pup attention one at a time. You are trying to keep the pup from having a traumatic experience. Kids should be calm when approaching the pup. No running, screaming, etc. The pup just left his mom and littermates. He/she will be scared enough. Try and keep the house as calm as you can especially the first week.

Expand from there and they will all be best friends eventually.

Oh and My God, kudos to you. I can't imagine 4 kids and a pup.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with Sp00ks, don't overstimulate the pup. If your oldest is only 5.5, then IMO he is too young to help in training. Although once your dog knows a command then your child can practice it with the dog. The training places I've been to and some dog events usually ask that the children be at least 10 yrs old. but our trainer has let slightly younger children participate - it depends on the dog, they either were small or calm and easy to manage.

When my twins were little (I have no other kids, just the twins) having two cats and no dogs was a handful. So best wishes to you and your family. Your older two children will probably understand what having a baby means, just reenforce the pup is a baby, needs lots of rest and lots of care.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh I do not expect or want my kiddos to be part of training classes....I meant at home practicing etc.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

We rescued Bandit in November when he was three months. He was skittish and scared. We told and constantly had to remind our kids to back off and give him room. Needless to say four months later and its all good. He now is such a loving and playful boy.
lennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.