German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Our puppy and our kiddos (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/415754-our-puppy-our-kiddos.html)

nktigger99 02-24-2014 07:08 PM

Our puppy and our kiddos

Our pup will be coming home on or after March 15th. I read so many bad cases with dogs and kids and actually my son was bit by a foster boxer this past summer. My kids are 5 1/2 Boy(he was the one bit in the face....he was about three feet from the dog when the bit happened, I was right there....the dog just jumped up an bit him....he was evaluated through the boxer rescue and decided they could not adopt him out so he was put to sleep sadly, he had some major issues and a sad past that we were not informed of) 4 1/2 girl, and 2 1/2 year old twin boys. How do I go about the first few days,months,etc of their interactions? I will never leave them alone of course. But how much interaction is okay? Should the older kids help in training? Any other info is appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sp00ks 02-24-2014 08:03 PM

Ok, I am by no stretch of the imagination a dog behaviorist. Or kid behaviorist. I've raised both a few times over and this is my opinion.

Kids should be allowed to give the pup attention one at a time. You are trying to keep the pup from having a traumatic experience. Kids should be calm when approaching the pup. No running, screaming, etc. The pup just left his mom and littermates. He/she will be scared enough. Try and keep the house as calm as you can especially the first week.

Expand from there and they will all be best friends eventually.

Oh and My God, kudos to you. I can't imagine 4 kids and a pup.

Gretchen 02-24-2014 08:39 PM

I agree with Sp00ks, don't overstimulate the pup. If your oldest is only 5.5, then IMO he is too young to help in training. Although once your dog knows a command then your child can practice it with the dog. The training places I've been to and some dog events usually ask that the children be at least 10 yrs old. but our trainer has let slightly younger children participate - it depends on the dog, they either were small or calm and easy to manage.

When my twins were little (I have no other kids, just the twins) having two cats and no dogs was a handful. So best wishes to you and your family. Your older two children will probably understand what having a baby means, just reenforce the pup is a baby, needs lots of rest and lots of care.

nktigger99 02-24-2014 09:51 PM

Oh I do not expect or want my kiddos to be part of training classes....I meant at home practicing etc.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

lennyb 02-24-2014 10:04 PM

We rescued Bandit in November when he was three months. He was skittish and scared. We told and constantly had to remind our kids to back off and give him room. Needless to say four months later and its all good. He now is such a loving and playful boy.