What should I allow? (pack structure) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Its partly what chip was saying. Id not let dogs just work it out. That happens everyday in dog parks and is partly why so many people and their dogs had bad experiences there.

Part of it is the pup is a baby and you have to protect it till it is a bit older. They are super fragile at that age.
Baillif is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Its partly what chip was saying. Id not let dogs just work it out. That happens everyday in dog parks and is partly why so many people and their dogs had bad experiences there.

Part of it is the pup is a baby and you have to protect it till it is a bit older. They are super fragile at that age.
Sadly my Gunther is gone. With Rocky my GSD, I will exercise much, much more caution!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

I've had gsd's my entire life, I don't claim to be an expert but I'll tell you from my experiences, and I've had up to 4 at one time.

When I bring in a puppy, I never keep the adult dog(s) away from that puppy. Introductions, and supervision. A puppy is NEVER left alone with the adult dog(s), and honestly, I've never had an issue.

Puppies can be a pain in the butt to older dogs, with mine, I've always found my older ones to be good teachers and fair correctors when the situation was warranted.

If I felt the puppy was being unfair, and a REAL pain in the butt, and wasn't being corrected, I step in and stop the fun.

I've never had issues with , as I said having 4 adult gsd's living together , when they were old enough to be trusted, all my dogs are loose in the house when I'm not here, have never come home to a blood bath..

Certainly not saying the above scenerio works for everyone, just my experience.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have several dogs and puppies are introduced when they come home. I never introduced all at one time. It's one dog at a time with puppy either in crate or in a dog run., somewhere that I can watch interactions and the puppy is safe. It can be a long or short process depending on all the dogs. Brennan the golden puppy took about a half hour and we have never looked back. You know your dog, your dog does not seem to have an issue. The puppy will learn from her, she will let him get away with some stuff, and will correct the puppy if needed more when the puppy is older and should know better. They have the potential to become play mates and best friends, that won't happen if you keep them separated. If your dog was growling , snarling, and showing signs of no tolerance I would say that a puppy wouldn't even work. And do crate the puppy if it is getting out of hand and making your dog uncomfortable.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

Do you take your puppy somewhere to play with other puppies? He needs it as a part of socialization. Even, by the way you described, the situation is quite safe, it is not fair to your other dog to receive this sort of bursting energy heat 24 hours a day.

Last edited by David Taggart; 02-23-2014 at 06:41 PM.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taggart View Post
Do you take your puppy somewhere to play with other puppies? He needs it as a part of socialization. Even, by the way you described, the situation is quite safe, it is not fair to your other dog to receive this sort of bursting energy heat 24 hours a day.
The older dog is 1.5, hardly a senior or even close to being middle aged. At 1.5 she is probably still puppy like herself.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I let my puppy interact with my adults from the get go. I was always present, always controlled the situation. Never had an issue.

All of my dogs also get alone time with me.

Use your common sense. If your adult us being pestered, and the puppy is not listening to her signals, step in and remove the puppy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Absolutely this! Puppy always is part of the pack and must learn from the adults. Pup is crated when I'm not home to supervise but must learn to interact with adults when we are around. If puppy is pestering a senior dog then step in, but usually puppy gets the hint quickly. At least as long as they all have good doggie skills and manners.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Member

1 and 5 are sexually mature, though their brains are of a puppy. They play differently, rough play with harder bites, and females are not gentler than males. Seems, the female, or she didn't have opportunity to learn these techniques, or her hormones tell her to behave in a motherly way, in many young females it happens, that is exactly the age when the signs of a future false pregnancy could be detected as well. If there was any risk, it should have gone by now, othewise, the youngster would have been badly bitten already. In order to satisfy the younger puppy needs he has to be taken to his equals daily, not just spending his energy at home. It wouldn't be easy for the OP to exercise them both in a sense of socialization with other dogs (two different classes for age groups, puppy parks do not allow adult dogs, etc). If Op would leave them only to each other, they would happily create male-and-female pack and finally start to attack other dogs. Dogs' play is instinctive tendency to exercise hunting and fighting skills, that is what they two are busy with. If the OP doesn't gain control as a leader now, it would be only more difficult later.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post

Maybe me saying "let them work it out" was not the right phrase. what i meant was as far as them figuring out who is higher ranking/pack structure, like do i need to do certain things to help make Ryker realise that Sage is "above him"?
Old 02-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I've had gsd's my entire life, I don't claim to be an expert but I'll tell you from my experiences, and I've had up to 4 at one time.

When I bring in a puppy, I never keep the adult dog(s) away from that puppy. Introductions, and supervision. A puppy is NEVER left alone with the adult dog(s), and honestly, I've never had an issue.

Puppies can be a pain in the butt to older dogs, with mine, I've always found my older ones to be good teachers and fair correctors when the situation was warranted.

If I felt the puppy was being unfair, and a REAL pain in the butt, and wasn't being corrected, I step in and stop the fun.

I've never had issues with , as I said having 4 adult gsd's living together , when they were old enough to be trusted, all my dogs are loose in the house when I'm not here, have never come home to a blood bath..

Certainly not saying the above scenerio works for everyone, just my experience.
exactly, and i can tell that having the influence of Sage around him he is learning things at a much quicker rate than i feel like he would by himself. So sage has been a good teacher, and on only a few occasions has she had to lightly correct him, but i was right there and let it happen because i felt it was appropriate..but even with how well they play together, if i leave the room, for even a minute... the pup comes with me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.