Dog door? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog door?

So our house has a dog door, it was here when we bought the house. We have used it with our foster dogs in the past but they were always mostly house broken an over 3 years old. We will be bringing our pup home at 8 weeks. Am I right in saying that we should not use the dog door until she is house broke completely? We need to upgrade it since it an older door and it is not efficient at all. I have to be very careful when it is open because my twins(they are two) like to sneak outside while it is open. Also I will not leave it open when we are gone for a by long time.....I will crate her until she is beyond trustworthy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Yes. Please be careful with a puppy and letting the out of your sight. I would say keep them under constant surveillance or crate them when you can't watch them.
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would say you're right to potty train without the doggy door. You may not always have a doggy door.. although useful (just moved into my first house with a doggy door myself ) and you wouldn't want them relying on that instead of you.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have potty trained all 4 dogs I've had with them having access to a doggy door. Once the are potty trained they don't have accidents in the house even if we lock the doggy door.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I love love love having a dog door. I've housebroken 4 Italian Greyhounds, and 3 GSDs with a dog door available.

I'll use my 1-year-old-tomorrow Russell as an example. I got him when he was somewhere between 9-10 weeks old. I literally took him outside every 30-45 minutes, and I think that was the key to making him understand that OUTDOORS was where you peed and pooped. He never got a chance to have an accident in the house because I swooped him outdoors so often. At the same time, I also taught him to go in and out of the dog door. Of course, he thought that was so much fun to have a portal to the outside world. I have a very secure dog yard, so safety isn't much of an issue. Being a smart boy, it didn't take him long to figure out he could go out and pee and poop without my assistance. I didn't rely on him doing this himself, but still kept taking him outside constantly.

As for not knowing what to do if there is no dog door, or if the dog door is closed, my dogs will jump on the door to let me know they need to go out. They know that doors lead to the outside. They do this when we go to a dog show, and stay in a hotel room. If one of them needs to go, they go to the door. If you don't want them jumping on the door, you could always hang bells and have them touch those instead.

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi & Pi ~ the meezers
dogfaeries is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon22shooter View Post
Yes. Please be careful with a puppy and letting the out of your sight. I would say keep them under constant surveillance or crate them when you can't watch them.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Dog door?

Want to add that I still crate Russell at 12 months old if I can't keep an eye on him. And when we go to bed.

Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi & Pi ~ the meezers
Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

I do have a secure backyard....but I also have 4 small kiddos so have toys in the backyard. A swing set, trampoline, and smallish toys also. Also the dog door happens to be in the kids playroom(sunroom) which has the only door to the outside. Also the people who had the house put landscaping rocks outside, peddles and lava rocks....argh....so I worry about the puppy eating those and frankly they are a worry with my kiddos to.

nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ah! Admittedly it's much easier for me since I don't have children at home.

I have 2 adult GSDs that use the dog door, so I really needed to teach the puppy to use it too. If you don't have other dogs that use the door, then I'd just keep it closed and housebreak without it. It's easy enough to use it down the road if you decide to later.

Russell ~ the big boy
Mimi & Pi ~ the meezers
Old 02-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktigger99 View Post
So our house has a dog door, it was here when we bought the house. We have used it with our foster dogs in the past but they were always mostly house broken an over 3 years old. We will be bringing our pup home at 8 weeks. Am I right in saying that we should not use the dog door until she is house broke completely? We need to upgrade it since it an older door and it is not efficient at all. I have to be very careful when it is open because my twins(they are two) like to sneak outside while it is open. Also I will not leave it open when we are gone for a by long time.....I will crate her until she is beyond trustworthy.

I have rather a complicated doggie door system a thick double door to the spa room and then a second door to the outside... so I use a two pronged approach.

When I got my boy at 12 weeks, I took him outside the side door to potty. When he was done I took him around to the doggie pen and put him inside it. Then I went inside and called him into the spa room. It was a game.

After he had that perfected, I went all the way inside the house. This was harder because he didn't like the double flapps but he soon had that as well. Because he wanted to be with me.

Then I had to reverse it to get him to go the other way. We made it a game. Find me. I would go into the spa room and call him or I would go all the way outside and call him. When he found me he would get praise and attention.

Now he had the doggie doors down but connecting it with potty was another matter. I had him pretty much on a schedule of taking him outside to potty had to convince him he wanted to go outside on his own. I have other dogs so this is where having other dogs helps tremendously. Instead of taking him outside first thing in the morning after being crated at night I encouraged him out the doggie door with the other dogs. Great worked awesome in the daytime...

After a couple of accidents in the house I realized he was scared to go outside in the dark. So it was doggie door in the day, me taking him out in the evening. To get him used to the pen in the dark, after taking him out to go potty I would walk around and put him in the pen...where he promptly ran in the house.

So we just started to wonder around outside at night in the dark. Tasha one of my older dogs loves basketball so we would go around the outside of the house with me kicking the basketball. Finding the basketball in the dark was fun. I guess. Because pretty soon it wasn't so scary.

Now at 14 weeks he is pretty much potty trained. I haven't had an accident in the house in about 4 or 5 days now. (knock on wood) LOL

We still do a combo of me taking him outside for exercise and play and potty breaks but if he needs to go between potty breaks he is using the doggie door both day and evening.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.