German Shepherds Forum banner

German Shepherd Mix questions

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  A girl and her dog 
#1 ·
I have a mix I just got on valentines day. They are estimating her to be around 9-11 weeks old. She is 13 lbs and I'm concerned she is going to be a tiny dog. Any experience? Also it looks like her ears are starting to stand. Opinions? I would like them to stand any way I can facilitate that? Her paws are small too. Her siblings were def black lab. The mother is black lab shepherd mix and was told she weighed 55lbs. No idea what the dad is. Here are pics from the day we got her to today so you can see her ears are going up more. Aren't they usually up by now? I had a purebred for 10 years from a puppy and I believe his ears went up at around 10 weeks. The first 2 are Ryder. The rest are her litter mates. Dog Vertebrate Canidae Mammal Dog breed
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Dog breed Dog Canidae Carnivore Snout

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
H Ryder, welcome to the board. I moved your thread as the other forum is for software techie questions, and deleted the post in the puppy name forum as you have now successfully started your own thread, congrats! :)

As to answer your question - since your pup is a mix, with only a little bit of GSD in him, not very likely to have his ears go up at all.

Not knowing their background, the father being unknown, their age only approximate, it would be extremely difficult to be able predict anything about how big he will be, what he will look like, or if the ears will go up.

I think all anyone can say for sure is that your pup is cute, cute, cute!!! He will be what he will be, ears up or down, big or small, GSD-ish or something else. As he gets older, some other features may become more prominent that will indicate one breed over another, or he may just always look like some kind of mix with some GSD in him. Looking at the littermates and your pup, there is quite some variation in how they look, so who knows what breeds are being mixed and expressed?

I don't think she'll be tiny at 13 lbs in the 9 - 11 week range. I'm guessing you may have a dog that will top out in the 50 - 60 lb range, but who knows? There is nothing to be concerned about really - whatever he ends up as, size-wise, muzzle-wise, ear-wise, will be what he was meant to be, and will be fine just the way he is.

I know with unknown mixes, it would be fun to have some more info about their background, but having a completely original and unique dog is also something special. :)

#4 ·
I know she won't be small...I was hoping ours would be small! Ours was 10 pounds at about 10 weeks. She has been gaining 1-2lbs a week. She is almost 4 months and 21 pounds already. Probably going to be 40-50lbs.
I hear it can sometimes take up to 8months for ears to stand if they are going to.

#6 ·
Hi! Your pup is beautiful!! I love that muzzle :)

Nonny is a Lab/GSD mix as well and has more of the GSD coat/markings. I don't know how big he'll get either- the shelter had his age wrong. They had him at 10 weeks old on Jan 20th; I'm estimating he was more like 6wks and is now about 10-11 weeks. Nowhere near losing teeth yet. I mention all of that b/c it could be relevant to your pup's size. There's really no way to tell how big they'll get but yours sounds about the same size as mine. I try not to worry too much about the size. it can be tough b/c you'll read a lot from others about their 20lb 10 week old, or the 30lb 12 wk old. That can make it seem like our mixes will be tiny by comparison. And maybe so- but they definitely won't be little! GSD's and Labs are both big dogs ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.