German Shepherds Forum banner

What to get besides bullysticks?

2K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  graciesmom 
#1 ·
So, me and the Chief went to Petsmart a couple days ago, I am completely against rawhides and anything made in China.. so I guess you could say i'm picky... the employee suggested bullysticks.. So, I paid $18 for a small pack of 3, about medium sized.. I have another dog so I had to give her one aswell.. they were all pretty much gone in 30 mins.. is there anything out there that is long lasting? I have antlers with marrow and he doesn't really care for them.. I just want to find something for him to sink his teeth in besides my other dogs legs.. he has plenty of toys and I keep buying new ones but he's fascinated with my other dogs legs the bullystick was the only thing so far that kept him away from her legs.

See less See more
#12 ·
Jake is a huge fan of cows' ears. Unfortunately they don't last long for him but might for a puppy. We buy them in packs of 25 thru bestbullysticks.com.

Rita

#17 ·
I have found stew bones at the grocery store here in CA. I suppose you can go talk to the butcher at your local store and ask. I don't know where to get antlers and stuff like that! I guess I need to find me a hunter but I though hunters kept the antlers and mounted them on the wall!

#18 ·
Just don't let your dogs have the marrow bones too long to where they are trying to eat the bones. All of the raw feeders recommended raw meaty/marrow bones to me, and the dogs loved them. Eventually, both of my older dogs (who are only 6 years old) broke or chipped their molars and other teeth on them. My Sibe, Paw Paw, had a molar that broke off and the root was exposed, requiring nearly $1,000 in dental surgery to repair and remove the tooth. I stopped giving marrow bones after that. My 2 younger dogs don't have any chipped teeth, thank goodness.

#19 ·
I order frozen marrow bones at the local grocery store. As part of my order, I ask that they be cut into approx. 2 inch sizes. TJazz loves to chew and pull the bits of meat off the outside of the marrow and will bring it to me to hold while she gets it. Once she's got all the meat, etc. off the outside of the marrow bone, she then concentrates on getting the marrow out of the inside. Once she gotten all she can out of it, she's no longer interested and I throw it out ... so no aggressive chewing on the bone itself ... no broken teeth. The whole process keeps her busy for about an hour. I never leave the "cleaned" marrow bones lying around for her to chew. I've been doing this for a decade now and have not encountered any problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.