8 wk old puppy and marrow soup bones - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 8 wk old puppy and marrow soup bones

Hi,
A quick question..We very recently brought home an 8 wk old GSD male. Our 4 1/2 yr old GSD female, has a raw marrow soup bone (bought fresh from the supermarket) 3 or 4 times a week. The bone is dense enough not to splinter, so, would it be appropriate for the puppy to gnaw on the bone, once Raven has polished (figuratively) the scraps of meat and the marrow out of the bone. It would keep him busy, and give poor Raven a time out !! I trust that it would not damage those little hypodermic needles that his mouth is full of..
Thanks and have a good weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I can't remember why but I was told never to give soup bones to dogs.

A large raw femur full of marrow bones are ok, however you would be better to source a meaty bone, one that has the meat on it so that your dog can eat this as a meal or part of their meal and enjoy the pulling and ripping off the meat as well as getting into the bone.

With an 8 week old puppy, I would give a chicken wing, or a large femur bone where he can chew and chew and basically get nothing, maybe a bit of marrow - this will satisfy his chewing desire but so will the chicken wing.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Harry and Lola,
Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific..These are raw femurs (full of marrow), most with some meat on them, cut to various sizes. Very dense bone, and Raven does not make much of a dent in them..(They package them as "soup bones" for some reason)..I ask the butcher directly for marrow bones. I agree with your view of regular soup bones, as some of them are not dense enough to prevent splintering, even in the raw state. I don't feed Raven raw any more, and these are basically for a mid-day treat, and to keep her teeth in good shape. The puppy has already snagged one of the larger "polished" femurs, and was happily gnawing away, until Raven came back, and "pointed out" that you don't take what doesn't belong to you. Good to know that I can give the puppy the "used" femurs to gnaw on, now that things are settling down, and she is allowing the puppy to share her food bowl....Treats are a different matter, and as long as both of them have the treat at the same time, there is no problem. Our cat can even take food out of Ravens' mouth with no problem.
Rgards
RichardMorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMorris View Post
Hi,
A quick question..We very recently brought home an 8 wk old GSD male. Our 4 1/2 yr old GSD female, has a raw marrow soup bone (bought fresh from the supermarket) 3 or 4 times a week. The bone is dense enough not to splinter, so, would it be appropriate for the puppy to gnaw on the bone, once Raven has polished (figuratively) the scraps of meat and the marrow out of the bone. It would keep him busy, and give poor Raven a time out !! I trust that it would not damage those little hypodermic needles that his mouth is full of..
Thanks and have a good weekend.

I've never heard not too. I always give them to my puppies, but I do freeze them first. Frozen bones seem to sooth teething puppies.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

The main reason why a lot of people don't feed femur (weight bearing) bones is that dogs can break their teeth on them, due to how dense they are.

On occasion and under supervision and if you don't let them dry out, I don't see too much of an issue.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I give them to my dogs and pup just fine. They do keep them entertained! I only let them chew on the bone for so long though, because they are very dense and I don't want any broken teeth.

Once all the marrow is gone and the bone is a little smaller, I throw them out and get new bones.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i think that depends on the type of chewer your dog is.
my dog has 4 or 5 them laying around. he's had them for
several months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
The main reason why a lot of people don't feed femur (weight bearing) bones is that dogs can break their teeth on them, due to how dense they are.

On occasion and under supervision and if you don't let them dry out, I don't see too much of an issue.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

elk antlers, deer antlers, femur bones.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Thanks for the input

Thanks a lot everybody. The little guy (Serge) is under constant "surveillance" both by us and by the "mother hen" Raven. As "Doggie Dad" said, there are always a couple of "used" bones lying around, and Raven will still gnaw on them. The puppy found one already, and because they are so large, compared to the current size of his mouth, he doesn't so much gnaw, as scrape his teeth along the surface. Keeps him busy. GSD puppies don't come with an "OFF" switch unfortunately.
Regards
Richard
Old 02-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I give them and have had no issues (well the marrow will cause loose stool if a dog has never had one but that changes as they get adjusted). Poster above may be thinking of really small ones (t-bone steak bones come to mind) in which they could be swallowed. Obviously those are too small but regular marrow bones are cut in 3" or 6" at my butchers and they are fine.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.