Rescue Puppy Murphy update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rescue Puppy Murphy update

So frustrated today with our little Murphys vet care : (

I noticed he was starting to get some patches of hair loss and dandruff so I made an appointment to get him seen. I also took in a stool sample to make sure his coccidia had cleared up. They didnt find any real reason for the skin issue which I find odd but gave me some medicated shampoo and put him on antihistamines and Ivermectin just in case he has mites they missed. He also has an apparent new case of hook and round worms. They said the hook worms were pretty bad. Im frustrated because two weeks ago they said he was clear of worms and now he has them again URGGGGGGG
I think the first time they wormed him they didnt dose him enough and they never really went away.
So now my poor puppy in three weeks has had worms, coccidia, and then worms again. I swear I just cant get this pup healthy.

Even with all this going on he has gained 2.5 lbs in two weeks and seems to be a pretty happy puppy. If we can ever get him healthy his growth may just take off : )
Poor thing has had such a rough start to life, I hope we can get him all straightened out but we may be switching vets.
hannahc_11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is standard to deworm twice when a dog has worms so I wouldn't blame the vet for that.

However, it would be totally expected for him to have demodex (mites) with a weakened immune system. I would not give Ivermectin because that will further depress his immune system. I would also stay away from antihistamines (I guess that was because he suspected allergies?).

My dog had it twice (between 1.5 and 2 years) and got over it without any medication. My vet said that it's very common in dogs under 2 years old and unless it's very widespread it shouldn't need any treatment except boosting the immune system. I did use NEEM oil on Rafi's demodex and that killed the mites pretty quickly. However, I wouldn't use that if the spot is right by the eyes.

In your pup's case I would think that a good diet, fresh water and getting over the worms would resolve the demodex. I would add a good, refrigerated probiotic to help his gut heal after the worms and worming meds.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
It is standard to deworm twice when a dog has worms so I wouldn't blame the vet for that.

However, it would be totally expected for him to have demodex (mites) with a weakened immune system. I would not give Ivermectin because that will further depress his immune system. I would also stay away from antihistamines (I guess that was because he suspected allergies?).

My dog had it twice (between 1.5 and 2 years) and got over it without any medication. My vet said that it's very common in dogs under 2 years old and unless it's very widespread it shouldn't need any treatment except boosting the immune system. I did use NEEM oil on Rafi's demodex and that killed the mites pretty quickly. However, I wouldn't use that if the spot is right by the eyes.

In your pup's case I would think that a good diet, fresh water and getting over the worms would resolve the demodex. I would add a good, refrigerated probiotic to help his gut heal after the worms and worming meds.
Thanks for the reply!

I wouldnt be mad at the vet if they had suggested the second deworming but that only happened because I brought the stool sample in and asked them to run it. But if they need two dewormings then does that mean there are still worms after the first one or do they catch them again?
They also said my other dog had a clear stool sample and less than a week later I found tapeworms coming out of her. I took her to a diffrent vet for weekend hours and they high dosed her and they were gone.
This vet seems to low dose and miss a lot in the stools : (
Just so frustrated trying to get this little guy healthy and he just has one hurdle after another. I also have two small kids in the house and dont want them to catch anything.

What type of probiotic do you recommend?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post

The spots are all over. He has a few small spots of thinning hair and a couple of bigger ones. I didnt think much of it because when I first got him (3weeks ago) he had just been found on the side of the road covered in fleas as a 5 week old puppy. So the patches in the beginning I thought were from the flea bites and then them healing because there were some with red bumps and flaking skin. Those didnt seem to get any worse, in fact his hair grew back on his tail and foot where they orginally tested for mange but came back negative. However I noticed about two days ago that he has developed a whole bunch of patches and he still has the dandruff. The vet said that his skin issues shouldnt be caused by the worms but I found a website that listed hair loss and patchy skin, or skin irritation on most of the worms he has.
His skin scrapes and the black light test both were negative so they didnt really know what was causing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.