German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   crate/kennel questions (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/413426-crate-kennel-questions.html)

nktigger99 02-19-2014 07:47 PM

crate/kennel questions

First question is should I get the plastic or metal kind.....I have used both....in the past I used the plastic for dogs who needed to fly or were flown to me...all my past personal young dogs. I have used the metal for fosters because that is what the rescues provided. They both are within our set budget for a crate. I just need to figure out what is best, Abby's breeder said she loves the crate even at 4 weeks, she goes into sleep etc.

Second question, Where to put the crate? My two choices are the living room, this is where I am most of the time kids are in and out all day. I will also have a plastic super yard set up here, we have it from when my twins were smaller, to contain the pup for brief times when I can't have eyes on her. The other choice is the master bedroom, would be great for hearing her at night even though with my mom ears I can easily hear her in the living room. One issue we have is my twins still wake up and crawl in our bed at night, different times usually. We have the space in either place. She will be crated at night, meal times, and when we haveto leave the house, mostly wweekends(I am a SAHM so won't have to leave her much during the week).

Thanks guys!!

Sp00ks 02-19-2014 08:27 PM

My $0.02.

Plastic, by your bed.

HOBY 02-19-2014 08:37 PM

Some people feel a plastic crate is better because the metal crates sing and that bothers the dog. The plastic ones don't vibrate. Don't know how true it is. My crate is metal and no problems.

DJEtzel 02-19-2014 08:54 PM

It's really just your preference. I prefer wire crates in the house and plastic in the car. The wire crates let air flow more freely and you can see if there are any accidents. Plastic crates are easier to cover though.

Location is also your preference and you can play it by ear depending on how the dog acts. I've never crated in my room and don't like it, but my puppy does much better crated in my room so there he is. :p

GrammaD 02-19-2014 09:12 PM

What is she used to? Since she has been crated at her breeder's and likes it, I would continue to use the same sort of crate.

I like to have an x-pen in the family living areas and the crate in my room next to my bed. It makes it easier for both transitioning the puppy (closeness is a comfort to a new puppy) and for those middle of the night and/or early morning potty runs to have the crate close by.

jocoyn 02-19-2014 09:18 PM

I like plastic crates because they don't get paws caught in them

JenniCB 02-19-2014 11:30 PM

Our crate is in our living area. I am home most of the day and then of course we're all home after school and in the evenings. We crate when we go out, for meal times and as a time out when Penny is biting too much or getting over excited. She'll also be recovering in there over the weekend after her de sexing op. So being in the living room means she is with us a lot. Ours is plastic coated wire and is great. We have a cot mattress on the bottom with a mattress protector and flannelette sheet on. I have 2 sets....1 to wash and one on. She loves it!

Can I add my own crate question though....we currently crate, as I said, when we go out (school runs, shopping, etc). At what age have people felt the dog is mature enough to just be left in the house (we have a doggy door) without being crated? Same too with gates? We have a couple of baby gates to limit Penny's movement around the house. When do people usually feel ready to take them down?

Jenni

GatorDog 02-20-2014 07:45 AM

I prefer plastic crates and usually keep them by the door to go outside for a quick exit. My almost 5 year old male is the only dog that I leave loose when I'm away and I started that about 2 years old with him. My year old female can sleep with me at night every once in a while but I don't quite trust her loose and alone just yet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 02-20-2014 08:36 AM

In my book trustworthiness is earned. Toby was 6 months. Cyra a year. Grim at 2 and Beau at 2.5 is nowhere near ready.

wolfy dog 02-20-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5052658)
I like plastic crates because they don't get paws caught in them

The only large crate DD is graduating to is a wire (for now). I hate buying another large crate. How realistic is this "catching paws in wire crates"? What were the injuries? Or am I stealing the thread? (for which I apologize)
I will get a plastic one if it is a real danger.