German Shepherds Forum banner

crate/kennel questions

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Okin 
#1 ·
First question is should I get the plastic or metal kind.....I have used both....in the past I used the plastic for dogs who needed to fly or were flown to me...all my past personal young dogs. I have used the metal for fosters because that is what the rescues provided. They both are within our set budget for a crate. I just need to figure out what is best, Abby's breeder said she loves the crate even at 4 weeks, she goes into sleep etc.

Second question, Where to put the crate? My two choices are the living room, this is where I am most of the time kids are in and out all day. I will also have a plastic super yard set up here, we have it from when my twins were smaller, to contain the pup for brief times when I can't have eyes on her. The other choice is the master bedroom, would be great for hearing her at night even though with my mom ears I can easily hear her in the living room. One issue we have is my twins still wake up and crawl in our bed at night, different times usually. We have the space in either place. She will be crated at night, meal times, and when we haveto leave the house, mostly wweekends(I am a SAHM so won't have to leave her much during the week).

Thanks guys!!

#4 ·
It's really just your preference. I prefer wire crates in the house and plastic in the car. The wire crates let air flow more freely and you can see if there are any accidents. Plastic crates are easier to cover though.

Location is also your preference and you can play it by ear depending on how the dog acts. I've never crated in my room and don't like it, but my puppy does much better crated in my room so there he is. :p

#5 ·
What is she used to? Since she has been crated at her breeder's and likes it, I would continue to use the same sort of crate.

I like to have an x-pen in the family living areas and the crate in my room next to my bed. It makes it easier for both transitioning the puppy (closeness is a comfort to a new puppy) and for those middle of the night and/or early morning potty runs to have the crate close by.

#10 ·
The only large crate DD is graduating to is a wire (for now). I hate buying another large crate. How realistic is this "catching paws in wire crates"? What were the injuries? Or am I stealing the thread? (for which I apologize)
I will get a plastic one if it is a real danger.

#7 ·
Our crate is in our living area. I am home most of the day and then of course we're all home after school and in the evenings. We crate when we go out, for meal times and as a time out when Penny is biting too much or getting over excited. She'll also be recovering in there over the weekend after her de sexing op. So being in the living room means she is with us a lot. Ours is plastic coated wire and is great. We have a cot mattress on the bottom with a mattress protector and flannelette sheet on. I have 2 sets....1 to wash and one on. She loves it!

Can I add my own crate question though....we currently crate, as I said, when we go out (school runs, shopping, etc). At what age have people felt the dog is mature enough to just be left in the house (we have a doggy door) without being crated? Same too with gates? We have a couple of baby gates to limit Penny's movement around the house. When do people usually feel ready to take them down?

Jenni

#8 ·
I prefer plastic crates and usually keep them by the door to go outside for a quick exit. My almost 5 year old male is the only dog that I leave loose when I'm away and I started that about 2 years old with him. My year old female can sleep with me at night every once in a while but I don't quite trust her loose and alone just yet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#17 ·
I have had several caught. In the space under the door. Normally they scream a little and get it out before I get there but when my truck was on an incline Grim's foot slid under the low wire and it took two grown men pushing on him and me feeding his paw back through to get it out, and it would have been 10 times worse had he freaked out, but he had plenty of life experience with me freeing him from barbed wire and briars to know to be calm. He limped a bit and it was swollen a little but nothing was broken. The next day I decided a welded aluminum dog box was a lot cheaper than a broken leg.

If I used a wire crate I would be sure that they could not get their feet through the bottom (maybe use hardware cloth) or get an old drop pin style crate (too bad the original kennel aire commander is 'no more') and remove all collars before putting them in.

Beau got his flat collar no tag caught on the wire. Fortunately once we got to him (this was about 3am) he also chilled out. For him it was the buckle. I guess some dogs are more creative that way.

If I was present while the dog was in the crate, I would not worry but when do we crate our dogs most? When we are not there.

#12 ·
Dex has not been crated and has had full access to the house since he was 4 1/2 months. The only issue we had was the trash can, and we put that away at night. His crate is in my room and he sleeps in their at night, but it is not locked and neither is my bedroom door. Sometimes my maltipoo will sleep inside the crate with him and sometimes he goes to the livingroom to sleep, when he gets to warm.
we have the XL wire crate and up to now have not had any problems

#13 ·
I use both. Wire for home and plastic for traveling. If I'm staying in a hotel, I'll break down the wire crate and bring it as well as the plastic crate.

I don't care much for my dogs sleeping all night in a plastic crate. Maybe because it gets so warm here (in south Texas) that in my head it's cooler in a wire crate.

I have been awakened in the middle of the night from a yelp from one of my dogs. I rush in and they are looking at me like I'm the one who is nuts. I'm guessing they got a toe hooked on a wire when they sprawled out. Or maybe a paw pinched. Or maybe they saw me in my underwear. I really don't know. But I've never had one come up lame, or continue to yelp. And it's rare that it happens. I think Hondo has only done it once that I recall and he's 4 now. He is still crated at night because he sticks his face in mine when I'm asleep. His attempt at giving me a heart attack.

#14 ·
Thank you everyone!!!!

I think I will get the plastic crate right now.....I am a tad worried about it being to big and her messing in the crate...I do worry about my kids sticking things and fingers in the wire crate. I know that would be on me....but I am trying to be realistic.

I will have a super yard pen in the living room for those times I need to have her contained when I am doing something with the kiddos.

#18 ·
Thank you everyone!!!!

I think I will get the plastic crate right now.....I am a tad worried about it being to big and her messing in the crate...I do worry about my kids sticking things and fingers in the wire crate. I know that would be on me....but I am trying to be realistic.

I will have a super yard pen in the living room for those times I need to have her contained when I am doing something with the kiddos.
If the crate is too big you could try putting something in there or a divider to make it so they can't go to the other side and do their business. I use wire crates that come with dividers and only leave the dog enough room and mover the divider as they grow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.