"Hiking with my pup" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Hiking with my pup"

So this weekend, I am planning on taking a nice trip to a local park OP Schnabel to do some "hiking". The reason i keep quoting hiking is because it's more of trails and I guess some hills would make it hiking but I don't know! Haha. But anyways I'm really excited but I want to be safe. This is my first time hiking with her and I just don't want to over work her or not get her enough exercise ya know? She is 6 months old and very energetic all the time (I walked her 2 miles yesterday morning and 2 miles last night and she is still a landshark!). I recently bought her a backpack that I put four tiny cans of evaporated milk to add a little weight when she walks, but I don't use it all the time because like I said, I don't want to overwork her. I was wondering how much should I expect to get out of my dog? A Hike for 3 hours? Or a much shorter hike? And if it is safe to use that backpack to help tire her out a bit more. Thanks! Oh and here are a few pics!
Attached Thumbnails
"Hiking with my pup"-20140218_181443.jpg   "Hiking with my pup"-20140218_181517.jpg   "Hiking with my pup"-20140218_181534.jpg  
NSweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've hiked my dog for HOURS before, she's 6 months old and has gone as far at 6 miles with a large elevation and in the snow- that being said I know my dog very well and I know when she is tired. They will all have there own limits. I never push her to do more then I think she can. Also I wouldn't hike your pup with any weight at all especially if you are going far, I learned that from the forum (I'm guilty of doing the same thing)

Have fun and take lots of pics!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I wouldn't add weight. But hiking is fine. I take my 6 month old on trail walks for hours and she loves it
stmcfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have fun! I agree with no weight in her backpack, but you should take a small backpack with water, treats, and her favorite squeeky toy. Will she be off leash? I started my pup at 4 months old at our off-leash area with flat "hikes" of about a mile. He, however, went about 3 miles with running around and sniffing. He didn't show he was tired, but fell asleep immediately when we got in the car. He is 10 months old now and we're up to 6 mile hikes with steep hills and snow. Hiking is great fun!
brightspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok so no weight on her sounds great! Oh yeah I will take a TON of pictures I'm not sure if I can walk her off leash but I probably can't
Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

If off leash, you may walk 2 miles, the dog goes about 6 with all the zig-zaging. Where safe to do so, off leash walking is great fun for the dog. You can sit at times & see if the dog needs a break.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just looked up the website for the park and it is only leashed dogs :/
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I did lots of 2-4 mile hikes last summer with my pup. I didn't add weight though. This summer I'm going to let him wear a backpack and carry some water, but we'll build up. He will be 1 in April.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
belladonnalily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Would leash hiking be okay still or should I really find somewhere where it is allowed? Texas is kinda strict on leash laws from what I hear. I might put a backpack on her but with nothing on it just so she gets used to having it on her and doesn't freak out when I do put it on later.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Off-leash is best for complete physical tiredness. But, you could use a long line for a leash. She'll be able to run around a little more but still be leashed. If she pulls too much on the long line, you can just stop to show her you disapprove of pulling and she can't go anywhere until she gives slack in the leash.

There are plenty of posts here about nice leash walking. Start out right by not letting her pull. She'll get a real kick out of a "sniff" walk and you won't get a ticket!

Others may chime in -- but I wouldn't use the pinch collar for this. Get a martingale if you're worried about her slipping the collar.

Last edited by brightspot; 02-20-2014 at 10:18 AM.
brightspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.