German Shepherds Forum banner

Your most popular puppy toys

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  onyx'girl 
#1 ·
Ok, so I am asking this question, A. because I haven't really found anything useful on this topic, and B. because it's getting expensive to buy chew toys. So I wanted to ask all of you what toy you found most soothing for your teething puupy that they love. I just bought one of those kong things and stuffed it with food, however she just chews up the toy and takes little pieces of the toy off which isn't how they should be used. She is really interested in it which is a plus but I don't want her swallowing any of the rubber material. I bought her the extreme one and she still is taking pieces off. She has two cloth tug toys but isn't very interested in them. The other toys I have bought her ones that squeak she tears them up. So I'd just love to hear what you guys have used that work! thanks! :):):)

#2 ·
Nylabones - the hard ones, not the softer, edible looking ones, those gave my pup the runs

the Himalaya chews - expensive but puppy LOVED it and when it's a small nub you can microwave it so it gets soft and edible

large bully sticks/braided bully sticks - I recommend the odor-free brands and take it away when it's about 3" so they don't swallow it whole

marrow bones - once the marrow is gone, I smear peanut butter on the inside

#3 ·
Thank you very much for the info! it's appreciated, I will have to pick one of those up tomorrow. As a full time student she is only left alone for no more than 2 hrs. So naturally I wanted something that is mentally engaging when I am not here. She get's plenty of exercise, I just wanted one more thing for her to concentrate on while I'm gone, again thank you!:)

#5 · (Edited)
A wet knotted towel that is frozen is a great cheap soothing chew while teething.
Fresh raw beef knucklebones were always a good way for occupying puppies when they want to chew, too.

This is a great toy , put it on a flirt pole and your puppy will be in heaven(you don't need to have pup tug with it, just chase and hold/out)
Robit Dog Toy : DogSport Gear

#7 ·
no, thru a meat processor or a butcher...grocery stores may carry 'soup bones' which are ok. Knucklebones are better because the bone is cartilage and more spongy bone than a marrow bone. Don't buy smoked bones, they can splinter....always go for fresh.

#9 ·
How long do these last, or is this something that will probably be completely gone after two hours. I guess I didn't think a toy or something she can chew was going to be such a chore to supply lol. I will look for them, the butcher is a pretty decent drive. Maybe I just haven't found what she really likes yet. Process of trial and error, however like I said before I hope it's soon because it's getting pretty expensive lol.

#11 ·
no matter what toy you get, the pup will still get bored after 10 minutes. a better way to keep your pup busy is play with her. get a little tug and wiggle it around. act stupid and get her excited. the only toys in my house are balls and tugs. my dog brings both to me when he wants to play.

#13 ·
Oh I definitely play with her. I just wanted to find something she liked to chew that didn't get destroyed in less than 4 hours of chew time lol. Mainly for when I go to class and she is in her crate, I was just saying that it gets expensive so finding something that was durable and cheap, or like those bones that are cheap something of that nature to keep her mind engaged for a while after I leave.

#12 ·
My puppy is not a destroyer (yet). She has stuffed toys and hasn't taken the stuffing out.

If your pup can bite off pieces of kong, then I think a marrow bone would be better, like other posters suggested. You can fill it up like a Kong once the marrow is gone.

I gave my puppy a freeze dried buffalo lung steak. She loved that, but it didn't last too long.

She likes the puppybone Nylabones. She has chewed off tiny pieces of those. She doesn't like the solid white one. It is a little bit harder.

I have also given her frozen washcloths soaked in chicken broth. She loved it the first time, but hasn't been too interested since. (I've given it to her a total of 3 times.)

My puppy is in her kennel from 7 am to about 4 pm. She does get some time out when my brother and mother take lunch breaks, but I think the amount of time she is out varies. When I leave her in the morning, I give her 2 large puppy Kongs filled with food, a Nylabone, and a stuffed toy (She hasn't destroyed any, so I am not worried about her eating it. If she does start destroying toys, then I won't leave a toy like that in there anymore.)

I would think that if you exercise your puppy really well before you leave, she would sleep most of the time that you were gone-if you weren't gone more than 2 hours at a time.

#14 ·
The best $20 that I've spent that is still in good condition is a jolly ball!! My pup goes at it forever like no tomorrow. She'd lay and chew, grab the rope and shake the ball, and whines while doing it all! Next to that would be an elk antler. I bought 1 for $20 and it's still lasting (4 months). Something cheaper is beef bone marrow. I would have the butcher cut the big long piece up to smaller pieces and freeze them. That lasts at least a good hour of chew time and the whole piece costs about $4 over here.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#16 ·
Goodwill stuffed toys at $.50/each. I go a couple times a year, spend about $10 and come home with a boatload of stuffies for the dogs to destroy!

My gang are good about not swallowing plastic parts (like eyes, noses, etc.) but you could just remove them if you are worried.

#17 ·
Here is a pic of what I mean, she just doesn't use the toy as it's intended I don't want her taking off pieces like that on the corners the bottom is bad too and that was only after maybe 30 min..lol she's only 14 weeks old. If I still had the little squirrel squeak toy I had I'd show a pic of that as well lol that poor thing only lasted about an hour haha.

#18 ·
We have raised two or three shepherds through the teething stage with these. Our dogs seem to love them, they last for a long time, and they are cheap. I'm not sure where to get them locally. Maybe Walmart. Ours look a little different, I don't recall the brand but they have to have the insert. Our dogs don't touch regular nylabones but love these.

Amazon.com: Hartz Chew 'n Clean Large Bone, Bacon Flavor (Colors May Vary): Pet Supplies

#19 ·
I'd be cautious of toys or anything from WM as they are probably manufactured in China.
I try to stay with toys made in USA if they are constantly in my dogs mouth. Though that is a challenge now that Cuz's are outsourced to China.

West Paw is about the only company in the US making durable dog toys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.