Is my puppy getting too big too fast? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2014, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my puppy getting too big too fast?

I'm hoping some of you can give me a little insight on whether my 6 month old female GSD is getting too big too fast. Earlier this week, she tipped the scale at 69.8 lbs. The vet didn't say anything about her size other than overall she looked pretty good. I got to thinking and starting searching the internet which only got me wondering more. Here's the details of her background.

She is about 85% Czech. The dam is 73 lbs and the sire is 77 lbs. She came from a litter of 8 and she was mid-sized. Others in the littler are also reportedly a similar size, but I only know of a few keeping in touch with the breeder. I feed her Blue Buffalo Wilderness - Large Breed Puppy, though I only recently switched to the Large Breed formula. My normal pet store never carried it so I switched retail outlets. I keep her somewhat lean by feeding her twice a day, no more than 4 cups total for the day.

I'm attaching a few photos. My female (Didi) is the one with a long orange lead. The other GSD is her father. A 4 year old Czech.

Is my puppy getting too big too fast?-photo-1.jpg

Is my puppy getting too big too fast?-photo-3.jpg

Is my puppy getting too big too fast?-photo-5.jpg
Akaronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

69.8lb is large, you would probably want her around 48lb considering her mum is 78lb (high end of average weight) and father is 77lb, quite small for a male, so her mum is a bit bigger than average and dad is a bit smaller than average and yet she is pretty big!

I would take her off puppy food and put her on the adult version. Does she has a nice trim waist, can you feel her ribs through a thin layer of fat? If you feel she is obese, I would reduce her food intake. It is best to grow them slowly and she is only 6mo, she has another 2 years or more of filling out left.

If if were me, and I have taken into consideration that she doesn't have a waist and is carrying too much fat then I would reduce her food intake down to 3 cups a day.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Not too big Can you feel her ribs when you rub her sides? There isn't any way to predict weight on a pup. It's not unheard of to get "oversized" dogs out of standard parents. Number of months X 10 for the first 6 months is a good measurement. Just keep an eye on her ribs.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
69.8lb is large, you would probably want her around 48lb considering her mum is 78lb (high end of average weight) and father is 77lb, quite small for a male, so her mum is a bit bigger than average and dad is a bit smaller than average and yet she is pretty big!

I would take her off puppy food and put her on the adult version. Does she has a nice trim waist, can you feel her ribs through a thin layer of fat? If you feel she is obese, I would reduce her food intake. It is best to grow them slowly and she is only 6mo, she has another 2 years or more of filling out left.

If if were me, and I have taken into consideration that she doesn't have a waist and is carrying too much fat then I would reduce her food intake down to 3 cups a day.
She's definitely never been obese. You can feel the ribs and see them lightly through her coat and her hind quarters are sunken. I only recently increased her food from 3.5 cups to 4, but am thinking about decreasing the food or changing to adult food. She sees the vet in 3 weeks for a vaccine and a microchip, so I'll probably seek their advice.

BTW Her mother is 73 pounds, but she looks every bit like her father.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's a better photo from tonight... after she ate.
Is my puppy getting too big too fast?-photo-7-.jpg
Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Nice looking pup. Doesn't appear to be overweight.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

take a look at the AKC and SV standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post

>>>>> 69.8lb is large, you would probably want her around 48lb considering her mum is 78lb (high end of average weight) and father is 77lb, quite small for a male, so her mum is a bit bigger than average and dad is a bit smaller than average and yet she is pretty big!<<<<<

doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

i fed my pup 1 cup in the am, 1 cup noonish and 1 cup
in the pm. normally his food was topped with something.
he a snack throughout and training treats.

i think when it comes to height and weight a lot of
it has to do with the individual dog. i use the charts
as a guideline but allowing a variance.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.