German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   SRMA anyone elses pup suffered with this? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/411298-srma-anyone-elses-pup-suffered.html)

Luna_baby 02-15-2014 09:28 AM

SRMA anyone elses pup suffered with this?

Hi

Luna is now nearly 8 months old and has been diagnosed with Steroid Responsive Meningitis Arteritis.

I suppose im posting this as much as a warning as I am to see how many others have had pups with the disease.

Luna started off really quiet seeming depressed and hardly moved. I took her to the vets who diagnosed an infection because of her high temp and was given antibiotics. The next day she got worse yelping when she got up so I took her to a different vets who diagnosed a spine injury and sent us home with painkillers. Night after she started swaying and collapsed, hysterical I rang the emergency vets and we were rushed in at 12am. She was finally diagnosed as menigitis and had to stay overnight on a steroid drip. ..thankfully she seems on the mend although we have a long road ahead. She is now eating and drinking normally and am slowly building her up to her walks again.

It seems the main signs are depression, not eating/drinking, painful joints, stiff neck, lazy gait and fever. Apparently the quicker you get them on steroids the better the outcome.

I had never heard of dogs getting meningitis and have since been telling all owners of pups to be aware this can happen as it seems to be a problem between 6 and 18 months.

Anyone else has this??

Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ugavet2012 02-15-2014 11:39 AM

This is a rare disease, I went through the ringer to diagnose my first case of it, a greyhound who was 3. We got it down to lymphoma or this, and abdominal ultrasound was normal then the owner finally let me do a joint tap which is the only way to definitively diagnose it and it came back as this disease. Many of them can come off the steroids in less than a year, but we are over a year at this point and he has flares up when I try to take him off it so for now we are still weaning down really slowly.
He ate and drank fine but had a stiff neck and here and there lameness and fever.

JeanKBBMMMAAN 02-15-2014 11:49 AM

I found this -
An update on steroid responsive meningitis-arteritis - Tipold - 2010 - Journal of Small Animal Practice - Wiley Online Library

Glad she is doing better!

Luna_baby 02-15-2014 03:50 PM

Thanks guys. Im well schooled in the disorder now as I spent most of my time on google but loved the article.

I suppose half of my aim was to warn others as like you said it was rare and am thanking my lucky stars my vet diagnosed as quick as he did.

Ive had 4 pups and have alot of friends with dogs and never heard of it before luna came down with it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App