German Shepherds Forum banner

It's been so long- getting a pup

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Deeda 
#1 ·
After the loss of my dog, my house feels empty. My heart is even more empty. My husband put a deposit down on a puppy and we pick him up on March 1st (8 weeks). I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have a trainer lined up to start with puppy socialization after my vet signs a release form. I bought a doggy doorbell to assist with housebreaking, numerous toys, a dividable kennel, puppy food (along with some of the stuff they are starting the puppy on), leashes, and the list goes on.

The thing is, we can't decide on a name. I don't want to have a name that 50 people in the neighborhood have because I find it confusing. I've called my vet and she told me that she has not seen any parvo cases in the past year. There are 3 more vets I can call in the area.

We are getting a White male Shepherd (husband always wanted one & I love Shepherds). I want a name that is 1-2 syllables that are not confused with commands so the following is what my husband and I agreed on thus far:

Geist- means spirit in German
Flurry
Bear- there is a dog in the neighborhood that has this name

I personally like Flurry the most because of the vowel sounding ending but my husband thinks that it's weak.. he says flurry is the weakest of all snows. He likes Geist the best because he's never heard it before. I like Bear because let's face it... a good dog is a great big Teddy Bear.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bear is very common.

I like Geist because it sounds like Heist, I like that word. It kind of sounds manly to me. :)

I like Flurry but it kind of sounds like Furry and I can see someone making fun of him and calling him that.

#6 ·
Geist has a good definite sound to it, it does also get used in German as the word for "ghost" (there is another word for Ghost too, but Geist gets used).. No matter, just thought you'd want to know! I actually like it!
I grew up bilingually and have lived in Germany... Look forward to the photos!

#8 ·
I like Geist, different and I really like the sound of it.

We've had odd names for all of our shepherds, Tanis (male), Bastion (male), and our new puppy, Sarissa (female). They all have some sort of meaning, I can't remember where Tanis was from but a bastion is the strongest part of a castle and a sarissa is a spear used in ancient Greece. I name the kids, my husband names the dogs :D.

#9 ·
I like the short, easy to say names, we usually have female dogs, so not much help. Our last was Katy, now we have Mya. I usually train them to come more to a whistle though. It's easier to hear & means they really should come. The name is somewhat secondary & more for closer range & general talk.

#11 ·
why are you confused because 50 dogs in the neighbor have the same name. i think that would make it easy. lol.

i like Flurry as a name for a white GSD. because a dog has a weak
name doesn't mean the dog is weak. a dog isn't affected by it's name.

After the loss of my dog, my house feels empty. My heart is even more empty. My husband put a deposit down on a puppy and we pick him up on March 1st (8 weeks). I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have a trainer lined up to start with puppy socialization after my vet signs a release form. I bought a doggy doorbell to assist with housebreaking, numerous toys, a dividable kennel, puppy food (along with some of the stuff they are starting the puppy on), leashes, and the list goes on.

>>>>> The thing is, we can't decide on a name. I don't want to have a name that 50 people in the neighborhood have because I find it
confusing. <<<<<

I've called my vet and she told me that she has not seen any parvo cases in the past year. There are 3 more vets I can call in the area.

We are getting a White male Shepherd (husband always wanted one & I love Shepherds). I want a name that is 1-2 syllables that are not confused with commands so the following is what my husband and I agreed on thus far:

Geist- means spirit in German
Flurry
Bear- there is a dog in the neighborhood that has this name

I personally like Flurry the most because of the vowel sounding ending but my husband thinks that it's weak.. he says flurry is the weakest of all snows. He likes Geist the best because he's never heard it before. I like Bear because let's face it... a good dog is a great big Teddy Bear.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.