German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Safe to take him out and about? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/410690-safe-take-him-out-about.html)

shepherdmom 02-13-2014 01:29 PM

Safe to take him out and about?

Ok still confused on the puppy shot issue. My boy has had two shots now. One at 8 1/2 weeks the other at 12 weeks. He is 13 weeks now. Is it safe to take him out and about ?

Shade 02-13-2014 01:32 PM

I personally do take puppies out and about right from the start in the car and in general areas. I simply carry them in public places so they get used to the sounds and sights, once the final shots are done I remove all limitations.

Lucy Dog 02-13-2014 01:35 PM

Didn't you mention you were in a high parvo area? I wouldn't take chances until that third set around 16 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5016354)
I personally do take puppies out and about right from the start in the car and in general areas. I simply carry them in public places so they get used to the sounds and sights, once the final shots are done I remove all limitations.

Exactly what I do. I even had this little pouch thing I'd carry my recent puppy around in when he was small enough. He would hear and see everything without actually touching the ground and exposing him to things.

shepherdmom 02-13-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Hi Shawna. I have to run some errands at Tractor Supply which is an hour each way from here. I was thinking of taking him with me so he wouldn't need to be crated for so long but I would need to set him down so he could pee somewhere. I was just worried about Parvo.

DJEtzel 02-13-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

I do this as well.

shepherdmom 02-13-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 5016394)
Didn't you mention you were in a high parvo area? I wouldn't take chances until that third set around 16 weeks.

The joys of living out in the middle of nowhere. The Parvo outbreak my vet was talking about is in Fallon. The Tractor Supply is in Carson City and I live out in the middle of nowhere between the two.

Shade 02-13-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5016402)
Hi Shawna. I have to run some errands at Tractor Supply which is an hour each way from here. I was thinking of taking him with me so he wouldn't need to be crated for so long but I would need to set him down so he could pee somewhere. I was just worried about Parvo.

I see Paul just mentioned you were in a high risk area, that does change things.

If I did have to set them down I would take them to the farthest place possible. For instance when I took Delgado to Petsmart (in my arms of course) it was in a strip mall with a HUGE parking lot, I literally walked to the opposite end of the parking lot from Petsmart and let him pee there before taking him inside.

I tried to stick mainly to places where there were tons of humans but limited dog areas. At two shots they've got a decent immunity but I don't trust it 100% until 1 week after the 3rd shot. I've personally never had to deal with parvo and I hope I never ever have to, it's a scary disease :(

shepherdmom 02-13-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5016474)
I see Paul just mentioned you were in a high risk area, that does change things.

If I did have to set them down I would take them to the farthest place possible. For instance when I took Delgado to Petsmart (in my arms of course) it was in a strip mall with a HUGE parking lot, I literally walked to the opposite end of the parking lot from Petsmart and let him pee there before taking him inside.

I tried to stick mainly to places where there were tons of humans but limited dog areas. At two shots they've got a decent immunity but I don't trust it 100% until 1 week after the 3rd shot. I've personally never had to deal with parvo and I hope I never ever have to, it's a scary disease :(

I don\'t think Carson City is high risk. The outbreak is in a small farming community.... But heck now I don\'t know what to do. Maybe I\'ll just leave him crated and home where I know he is safe even if he is unhappy about being crated for so long.

Lucy Dog 02-13-2014 01:58 PM

You\'ll look pretty ridiculous carrying around a german shepherd in one of these things, but it\'s good when they\'re not fully vaccinated. I used something similar.

Shade 02-13-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5016482)
I don't think Carson City is high risk. The outbreak is in a small farming community.... But heck now I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just leave him crated and home where I know he is safe even if he is unhappy about being crated for so long.

Well you do always have the option of running the poop out of him before and after so he's exhausted and sleeps which takes away any guilt of leaving him at home ;):D Or if you know there's somewhere close and safe you can stop and let him do his business first then I would bring him.