We've decided to add a puppy to the mix :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: From England but have been living in New Zealand for 9 years
Default We've decided to add a puppy to the mix :)

After many months of deliberating, we have decided to add a second GSD to our family, it will be a male W/L GSD. We've found a great breeder and the mating is planned for tomorrow. All going well, we will pick up out new baby in early June! It's been a big decision, because we will have three big dogs, but I'm really excited about it now
"Isis", horse 4 years
"Comrie" and "Mouse" cats 8 and 3 years
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Can't edit the post now, but any tips from those that have already done three big dogs would be gratefully received!
"Isis", horse 4 years
Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Good luck and can't wait to hear updates and see pictures down the line!

3 big dogs is alot for me, two is ideal. That said, because I like a 5 year spread between dogs, and I currently have a 10 yr old and a 5 yr old, my puppy is arriving in early March!

Big thing is to make sure take that NEW puppy away from the house and other dogs to train and socialize with the humans in the family. Too easy for it to become 'doggy' otherwise and more connected to the family members with 4 legs rather then 2.

So being proactive and making playdates, joining puppy classes then dog classes, and just realizing that packing up the pup and driving to somewhere new WITHOUT the other 2 older dogs is key.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Best of luck with the new pup. You're brave, that's a lot of dogs for one house! I don't know how you guys with more than 2 pooches do it!

Be a responsible pet owner, leave the breeding to the experts.
FirefighterGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie W View Post
Can't edit the post now, but any tips from those that have already done three big dogs would be gratefully received!
I have had previously and currently have 5. One is a puppy now though so only 4 are big dogs.

What questions do you have?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Big thing is to make sure take that NEW puppy away from the house and other dogs to train and socialize with the humans in the family. Too easy for it to become 'doggy' otherwise and more connected to the family members with 4 legs rather then 2.

Quote:
So being proactive and making playdates, joining puppy classes then dog classes, and just realizing that packing up the pup and driving to somewhere new WITHOUT the other 2 older dogs is key.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, I think I'm going to have to take pup out alone and with different combinations of two, as three on leads would be a lot, I weigh less than the combined weight of the two we already have! That said, we are lucky enough to have a couple of acres, and farms / beaches for off-lead excersise, so it' not that often they are on the lead..

I agree also with the idea of socializing the pup separately. We are always slightly amused, but very pleased that anyone who comes onto our propertygets a happy, friendly greeting from the dogs. I don't want that to change, so will put extra effort into getting the pup used to people. I do a bit of obedience with the GSD already, so the pup will do the same.

Shepherdmom: I guess just anything about the dynamics of three to look out for, your experiences, good or bad.. I'm already thinking about an allocated space for the pup to rest, especially of we're not around, as the two big guys could probably do a bit of damage playing with a pup.

The two dogs at the moment have their place in the family sorted, and I'm interested to know how best to introduce a new member. At the moment the dobie, is just big and busy, he listens when he's called, and is happy just to follow his nose. He and the GSD play together lots, but if I call one or other of them, they break away an come, every time, and I'd like this to continue when there are three. I guess one on one training is the key there..I'm waffling, but yes, just anything you wish you'd been told or learned the hard way as your pack increased!
"Isis", horse 4 years
Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie W View Post

Shepherdmom: I guess just anything about the dynamics of three to look out for, your experiences, good or bad.. I'm already thinking about an allocated space for the pup to rest, especially of we're not around, as the two big guys could probably do a bit of damage playing with a pup.

The two dogs at the moment have their place in the family sorted, and I'm interested to know how best to introduce a new member. At the moment the dobie, is just big and busy, he listens when he's called, and is happy just to follow his nose. He and the GSD play together lots, but if I call one or other of them, they break away an come, every time, and I'd like this to continue when there are three. I guess one on one training is the key there..I'm waffling, but yes, just anything you wish you'd been told or learned the hard way as your pack increased!
I use a crate for time out for puppy when older ones need a rest and to give him his own safe space.

Introduce one at a time to puppy. I brought out my pack leader first. Then slowly added in the other ones once pack leader accepted him. (someone suggested this to me here on the board it was a wonderful idea)

I don't give a whole lot of one on one training. My new ones learn from my adults. They all have to sit for food and follow house rules. The one on one more comes from socialization when I take puppy out into the world.

I like that they play together and are bonded. Some prefer my husband some prefer me. I don't consider any too "doggie" they all want to be with humans, lol we provide food.

Biggest thing to watch out for is don't let anyone bully anyone else. You are boss. If they get playing to hard I tell them knock it off and make everyone sit and behave. Be careful if you have two females. That can go bad in a hurry once they loose their puppy license. Never two strong willed females together.

Remember puppy is bottom of pack. Never treat him better than other dogs. Older dogs gets food /treat first. Puppy has to wait.

I don't feed near each other. Puppy gets fed in crate until he figures out where his place is. You don't want him stealing adult food or them stealing his.

Make sure high value toys are picked up and puppy has his own toys.

Well that's all I can think of at moment. LOL I'm sure others will chime in as everyone has their own way of doing things.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you so much, it's funny I consider myself an experienced owner and I am hugely proud of the way my dogs behave. But, this decision has come after many, many months of wondering if we could, should etc and I'm slightly nervous, I just want the three to end up as easy as the two we already have.. I'm hoping that I'm on this forum a year from now, wondering how I ever just had two dogs!
I really do appreciate the advice, it's good to learn from someone else's experiences!
"Isis", horse 4 years
Old 02-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

you'll have to be our "reporter" from New Zealand . What kind of GSD do they have , what opportunities for an owner.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm more like shepherdmom, I don't really restrict my puppy from my adults, other than some down time in a crate or pen with something to chew on while we all need a little break. I haven't had problems with puppies not bonding with me or not wanting to train and be with me. I train my dogs one-on-one (or when we do flyball, 2 are crated watching while 1 is training and that helps build their drive to come out and have their turns). I take a new puppy all over, like one new place a day for the first few weeks, so he gets lots of exposure and experiences, but at home it's kind of a free-for-all. My dogs need to learn to live together without me micromanaging (I don't like using crates and kennels unless we're actually traveling or at training/competition). My adults are really good at helping a new puppy learn the rules. They set boundaries and communicate in ways only a dog can. I have one other younger dog who plays with my puppy nonstop and if it gets a little crazy I break it up, but usually my adults are ignoring the puppy. I'm actually very thankful I have these other dogs, I think it makes raising the puppy easier not just b/c he has a playmate but the puppy learns from them. Again like I said, I've never had a GSD become too "doggy" because of constant pack interaction (maybe other breeds, I don't know).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.