German Shepherds Forum banner

Stinky Girl

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  KnittirB 
#1 ·
For this post I am so happy my GSD can not read since it is a little embarrassing!
Kennedy is 14 weeks old, we adopted her this past Saturday (so like 4 days ago) and have noticed that she expresses her anal glads a lot!
I have owned several dogs in my life and have never had a dog do this on their own...I didnt even know hat she was doing until she did it at the vets! THey say that is can be brought on by stress which made sense at that point cause she did it
1. on the car ride home from adopting
2. meeting Moose (her new found sister)
3. when we got to petsmart to take her to the vet

3 times within 2 days seemed like a lot to me but then again, I have never experienced a puppy that did this. The smell is HORRID! and then she gets a nervous whine and licks herself...the smell does go away on its own and it does seem to "hurt" her...but it is so smelly! and I feel bad.
Anyway...now I am thinking it is not nerves cause just this evening she was sleeping under my feet while I worked and did it again. absolutely nothing was going on that could be stressful. She was even in her favorite spot cuddled by my feet...
WHAT could be causing this?! Any tips on if it will go away or HOW to help it go away?

See less See more
#3 ·
I will call again in the morning. We were just there yesterday getting shots and the vet just said it was stress...But now that it has happened in a non-stressful environment there will be a reason to actually look into it??? :crazy: my poor stinky beast!!!

#5 ·
maybe the enviroment was stressful to your pup.

I will call again in the morning. We were just there yesterday getting shots and the vet just said it was stress...

>>>> But now that it has happened in a non-stressful environment there will be a reason to actually look into it???<<<<

:crazy: my poor stinky beast!!!

#4 ·
Think you just need to be proactive to make sure you continue to guide her and socialize her appropriately. YOu just rescued her so probably aren't aware of any trauma's that have already happened in her short life.

REally be PRO-active on both ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...191183-top-training-expectations-puppies.html as well as

--> http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ialize-i-want-photos-videos-puppies-dogs.html (and remember to take your camera so you can add to that forum!)

:)

#9 ·
I hope not, I tried to call the vet yesterday but with the snow storm yesterday our power was out and her vet was closed except for the emergency section...It hasnt happened in about 36 hours so I am just going to keep an eye on her. She is really warming up at home now too. Playing with Moose more and not sleeping as much so maybe she really was just nervous???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.