German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Short Flight or Long Drive? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/409410-short-flight-long-drive.html)

FrankieC 02-10-2014 04:44 PM

Short Flight or Long Drive?

Our pup comes him in about 5 weeks and since we live close to Buffalo, the original plan was to have the breeder fly her into that airport. Probably take us a couple hours to get home, perhaps more depending on any hang ups at the airport.

Now it appears I will be in the US on business and have began to consider driving to the breeders which will be about 20 hours from Toronto. Looking at one night stay-over on the return trip.

Regular potty breaks, exercise and bonding are the advantages I see plus it would be nice to visit. The concern raised by the breeder, which I completely understand is the risk of parvo at pet-friendly hotels.

I know some people here have experienced this and was just looking for opinions/comments on lodging and the risk associated with this kind of travel. Our last pup was flown in and it was a long and stressful day for her so I figured I would at least explore Plan B

I plan to talk to our vet as well.

Thanks! :)

Lucy Dog 02-10-2014 05:29 PM

Fly the puppy in. It's really not a big deal at all. Twenty hours for a puppy in a car is pretty long and I'd worry about stuff the puppy can pick up along the way and possibly get sick.

My last puppy was flown in. He was off the plane and with me about 15 minutes after the flight landed. Everything went smooth. I'd definitely do it again.

onyx'girl 02-10-2014 05:31 PM

I agree, fly the pup.

FrankieC 02-10-2014 05:38 PM

Thanks. Did some additional reading and follow-up and now I'm really leaning that way as well.

Even if there are delays/hassles it's still better than the alternative.

Cheers!

boomer11 02-10-2014 05:44 PM

definitely fly

Bear GSD 02-11-2014 04:37 PM

Oh my gosh Frank, I'm soo excited for you!!! It's been a long time coming for you and your family. I can't wait to see pictures of your new pup.
Sorry, I can't offer advise about flying versus driving, it sounds like you got some good advice :)

FrankieC 02-11-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear GSD (Post 5005978)
Oh my gosh Frank, I'm soo excited for you!!! It's been a long time coming for you and your family. I can't wait to see pictures of your new pup.
Sorry, I can't offer advise about flying versus driving, it sounds like you got some good advice :)

Hey Bear... great to hear from you :) And thanks, we are all pretty stoked. I will be sure to get you some pics as soon as we know whose who lol

hunterisgreat 02-11-2014 05:08 PM

I drove both my dogs home. One from Nashville to Charleston. One from Indianapolis to Charleston. The closest airport that will ship a dog here is Charlotte anyway so theres significant driving involved regardless

pyratemom 02-11-2014 05:13 PM

Raina flew from Germany and she was fine. She was in an air controlled compartment the whole way and kept in air conditioning until she cleared customs. It took about 17 hours from wheels up in Germany until home in Florida. I gave her a break with my daughter holding the leash after picking her up in Miami while I cleaned the crate and gave her a water break. Don't feed the puppy a lot right away as their little tummy can get upset. Congratulations! Nothing more exciting than waiting to see that little face!

FrankieC 02-11-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterisgreat (Post 5006154)
I drove both my dogs home. One from Nashville to Charleston. One from Indianapolis to Charleston. The closest airport that will ship a dog here is Charlotte anyway so theres significant driving involved regardless

Yep, makes sense. We would need to stay over so a little too much potential exposure for my liking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyratemom (Post 5006210)
Raina flew from Germany and she was fine. She was in an air controlled compartment the whole way and kept in air conditioning until she cleared customs. It took about 17 hours from wheels up in Germany until home in Florida. I gave her a break with my daughter holding the leash after picking her up in Miami while I cleaned the crate and gave her a water break. Don't feed the puppy a lot right away as their little tummy can get upset. Congratulations! Nothing more exciting than waiting to see that little face!

17 hours? Now that's a serious haul! :) Glad she made out OK. And thanks, we are really excited.