German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   How old until I get him Neutered? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/408386-how-old-until-i-get-him-neutered.html)

SoCal Rebell 02-08-2014 01:28 PM

How old until I get him Neutered?

The first on I owned I didn't neuter, my 2nd GSD I waited until 3.5 years due to SchH training and mating. Now my next little guy is 12 weeks I hear varying stories of when to do the deed, vet says 6 months what do you guys in the know think? Not going the SchH this one although he has the pedigree.

my boy diesel 02-08-2014 01:36 PM

good article
When to Spay and Neuter: One Vet's Opinion

Doc 02-08-2014 01:51 PM

If you have to do it, wait until he is completely grown. Depending on his lines it may be 2-4 years before he is grown. What is your purpose for neutering?

sehrgutcsg 02-08-2014 01:51 PM

This is a touchy subject at best and everyone has their own mind set.

The second page at the top of the "link" suggest's to wait until the dog matures. My male did not change at all, he may even be worse, now.. But he was not breeding stock, I knew it, I ventured into the show ring and it was no picnic. Me, I will say after full development, 18 to 30 months, but I know other's will say sooner; "if you cannot control your animal and their absolutely right." If your at work and the dog gets out, nobody wins in that scenario.. My female GSD was spayed at about 4 to 5 years after the last of 3 litters. I hate the steel - metal - stitches.. They are brutal and most vets insist on them.. Boo... :help:

trcy 02-08-2014 01:53 PM

My breeder said 18 months, the reproduction vet said 18 months, my normal vet understand why I want to wait, but they prefer to do it by 6 months.

Neko 02-08-2014 02:01 PM

My vet said wait till over a year, breeder 14-18 month and we are doing it at 14 month because we have a new pup + happy with his development.

SoCal Rebell 02-08-2014 04:24 PM

The development thing is what I am most concerned about and yes he is of breeding quality pedigree. My biggest problem is I take him to dogpark every week. My last GSD Cutter was (as is my new Rebell) an alpha male. Before being neutered at 3.5 years he got into many dog fights at DP because other smelt his intactness. He didn't start them but he sure finished them, he initiated a new rule that all dogs had to be neutered by Oct. 2008 which is when I had him fixed at 3.5 years and no problems since.

Neko 02-08-2014 09:18 PM

Ya dogs are starting to pick on Zeus and he is not a fighter si it's starting to get annoying and I feel bad he just wants to play

Mocha 02-08-2014 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neko (Post 4990386)
Ya dogs are starting to pick on Zeus and he is not a fighter si it's starting to get annoying and I feel bad he just wants to play

How old is Zeus ?

I've noticed older dogs are starting to pick on Reagan at the park. He's 7 months.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

FirefighterGSD 02-08-2014 10:38 PM

There are a ton of threads on this topic, just type it in the search bar and you'll be good to go :) This is one topic that everyone seems to have their own opinion about.