German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Going back to work- advice needed on leaving puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/407858-going-back-work-advice-needed-leaving-puppy.html)

GrifGS 02-07-2014 08:25 AM

Going back to work- advice needed on leaving puppy

Hello, so my puppy Griffin is now 5 months old, and I may be returning to the work force and having to leave him home alone for the day😔. I am trying to figure out the best option for him during the day - wondering what everybody else does when they leave there pups? He is crate trained, and when I leave the house now he happily goes in his crate, but I have never left him for long periods of times. I also have a 6 year golden retriever who is not crated when I leave, and lays in front of Griffin's crate until I get home. I am looking into dog walkers to come by, but don't know how often they should come, etc. also should I attempt to leave him out of his crate yet, or is that worse than leaving him in the crate?!? I am feeling so guilty already!!! Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

AugustGSD 02-07-2014 03:45 PM

I leave my dog in his crate with some toys and water. I would prefer to take him to daycare, but that's not possible right now. If your are going to get a dog walker, then I'd say they only need to come by once a day, maybe around noon or so. I wouldn't jump the gun and let a 5 month old be out of his crate all day. Don't feel guilty for having to work, your dog will not hold it against you as long as he gets your attention when you are home.

Eiros 02-07-2014 04:03 PM

A lot of people with pups work day jobs, and it's totally doable!

We alternate daycare and crate days, so he isn't crated for more than one day in a row; I know this isn't always possible, but adding it in with a dog walker or someone (friend or family volunteers!) to come let him out mid-day can help him from being cooped up too much. Exercise him before crating, and of course, do something fun and active when you get home! I'd not trust any puppy without the crate for extended periods, but I know every dog is different.

JakodaCD OA 02-07-2014 04:11 PM

if your gone for 8 hours, I'd have a dog walker/exercise/potty break, right in the middle of the day,,breaks up the boredom:)

GrifGS 02-07-2014 04:15 PM

Thanks guys, I'm already feeling better! I have a dog walker coming by tomorrow to meet my puppy and see about coming daily. I did call one doggy daycare and unfortunately was told that due to insurance rules they could not take my german shepherd ! I thought that was going to be the case every time so I stopped looking - but now that I know someone out there with a GS gets to go to doggy daycare I'll start looking again!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App