German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Help! I need advice for my pup! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/406978-help-i-need-advice-my-pup.html)

NSweet 02-05-2014 01:28 PM

Help! I need advice for my pup!

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys! This is my first time ever being on a forum so be nice. I currently live in a trailer home(3 b 2 bath so not too small) and I work monday-friday 8am-5pm and I usually don't get home till 6pm. I have a german shepherd/rottweiler mix(her gsd side is very prominent) that is 6 months old and she is a terror at times. Let's start with my daily routine (feel free to tell me I'm wrong, that is why I'm asking for help). I wake up about 6 am and take her outside. I feed her and let her walk around the house till about 7 am. She is in her kennel from then till about 6 pm. She has toys and chew toys in her kennel to keep her busy and I cover her up because she likes being in a den-like atmosphere. I come home and take her out again. We drive to the park down the street(when I can of course) and walk around for maybe an hour on a short leash to get her more savvy with it. Then I take her back home, usually put her in the cage again for an hour so I can go to the gym (just started going so not too crazy about it). Lastly, I come home about 8pm, take her outside again, eat dinner, feed her, then let her lounge around the house and sometimes I train her. It is kind of hard due to the fact that my house has 3 other dogs (husky, gsd/husky/pomchi NOT MINE!) and she gets very distracted when around them. I really need help! I look on forums all the time and find really great advice sometimes but I figured why not get my situation out there. Thank you for the feedback if you see this post. :)

GSKnight 02-05-2014 01:35 PM

members with more experience will give you advice... but at this point I just wanted to say WELCOME, and you have a cute puppy there!!! :)

stmcfred 02-05-2014 01:37 PM

Welcome!

Are the other dogs crated as well? Sounds like she spends a lot of time in her crate which could be why she's a terror at times. Is it possible to have her out more? Or maybe someone come and let her out to play while you are at work?

NSweet 02-05-2014 01:52 PM

The other dogs are crated as well most of the day. My roommate works in the same building as me so our schedules are the same. He has a girlfriend that works till 4pm and she doesn't like my dog because she is a terror :(

Galathiel 02-05-2014 01:57 PM

I take it you do not have a fenced yard? If your pup is going to be crated all day, she realllly needs more exercise. I would get her interested in a flirt pole. You don't need much yard and could put a long line on her to she could chase it. If you do a search on the forum there are several threads about flirt poles. I made mine using a lunge whip that has a toy tied to the end. You can use a piece of PVP pipe and some rope to make one as well. If she has more exercise, she will not be such a terror and then maybe the one coming home at 4:00 can take her out....maybe.

NSweet 02-05-2014 02:05 PM

I would love to get one! My only issue is (and I didn't know this before I adopted my pup) the landlord doesn't allow more than 3 dogs. My roommate decided to ask him after I bought her. I really am not allowed to have her around but I really don't want to give her away. So leaving her outside attached to a line or something is not really an option for me. I can get her to exercise after I get home no problem. But of course that is at night and it is dark. I realize she isn't in the best situation right now, and I am looking diligently for an apartment of my own. I just want to make the best of what we have.

Galathiel 02-05-2014 03:40 PM

I'm not suggesting putting her on a long line so she can stay outside. The long line is so she is free to run after the flirt pole and you can still snag her if she darts off. If you don't want to play with her at your place, then take her down to your park area and play with a flirt pole. It uses a LOT more energy than a simple walk.

NSweet 02-05-2014 05:38 PM

Oh that makes sense. Sorry didn't meant to misinterpret that. What would be a good amount of time to stay at the park? The flirt pole seems pretty easy to make :)

selzer 02-05-2014 06:02 PM

Ok, so you're renting. Your roommate and his GF have 3 dogs. In a trailer. And you bring home a puppy. Where do you put 4 crates in a trailer??? Don't get annoyed, I live in a trailer, only two bedrooms, two baths (why I need two baths is beyound me, but whatever). I built a room onto my house for the dogs. And STILL, I have to have a crate in the living room. I just don't know where you would put four crates in a trailer.

The landlord says only 3 dogs. I'm sorry, don't blame your roommate on this one, you should have cleared getting a dog with your landlord. That is the responsibility of the dog's owner. It puts the dog in a really bad position if the landlord wants you guys out of there for whatever reason. People have to scramble then, and it isn't so easy to find accomodations with a large dog, in a good area for a rent you can afford. Giving that you have a roommate, you probably would have a tough time finding a place to rent on your own where dogs are allowed for what you can afford.

So now you have this puppy, that you need to take care of, train, play with, etc. I am sorry, but after having your puppy in a crate for 11 hours, it is absolutely no fair whatsoever for you to crate him regularly in the evening. You need to do your 1 hour gym time outdoors exercising the pooch.

Crates are great because they can keep our critters safe. But it sounds like your dog needs to be crated at night -- too many dogs for a free-for-all there, also, a six month old puppy is probably not a good candidate for being loose in the house all night. So what you are asking this puppy to do is to spend 17 or 18 hours crated in a 24 hour day.

Sorry to be blunt, but that is just too much. Coming home at lunch time and letting the pup out would be helpful. But really, this dog needs to be given some out of the crate time, not an hour here and an hour there. Ditch the gym and spend that money on dog classes. Get out there and play with your dog.

Or take the dog back to wherever you got him from and apologize, but tell them that your landlord will not allow another dog.

NSweet 02-05-2014 07:07 PM

I apologize for my ignorance. This post was a real eye opener that what I'm doing is not right. I will take all of the advice given to me and better my dog's life.