German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   What age did your GSD calm down (I have 7 m old) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/406282-what-age-did-your-gsd-calm-down-i-have-7-m-old.html)

Cruze 02-04-2014 03:56 AM

What age did your GSD calm down (I have 7 m old)

Just curious, I have a 7 and a half month old female. She has calmed down slightly after being spayed, but she is still wild. Haha anyways, let me know the age yours calmed down, and be sure to include their gender.

juliejujubean 02-04-2014 04:01 AM

GSDs calm down!?! News to me ;-) lol. In all seriousness my girl leveled out about 2 years of age but my male has not yet. He turned a year in august. It really helps though that i run almost daily with my female long distances (3-6 miles depending on the day) so she is more tired than my male. Charles will start running with me regularly when he is 2 (he is very large so i want his official hips/ elbows done) and I'm sure he will calm down after that :-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Harry and Lola 02-04-2014 04:20 AM

I would say my female matured at 3yo, my male is now 3 and he still has a bit more maturing to go - not quite cooked yet, so I'm hoping by 4yo for him.

TommyB681 02-04-2014 05:35 AM

my old female was pretty settled around 3. Penny now is only 1.5yrs and is showing no signs of slowing down

fredh 02-04-2014 07:34 AM

Jake turned 3 last September and is still cranked up to 7 or 8 most of the time!

llombardo 02-04-2014 08:33 AM

My female started calming down at about 7 months but is still very active in a good way at 2.5. My male is always busy and I don't foresee him ever changing, he is almost 2.

wyoung2153 02-04-2014 08:59 AM

Teehee you think they calm down.. cute :p Well I'll just say mine is a 4 y/o male and while he is more mature and has learned a little more manners.. he is still JUST as energetic and wants to play constantly. That boy has no stop button. For this reason he is toy restricted in the house.. he has nothing to play with so he ends up laying down in his bed or by the back door.. :) do you have pics of this hyper pup of yours :)

Mocha 02-04-2014 09:05 AM

My female never actually 'calmed' down but rather learned to be calm when she should be. She is now four, however even as a small puppy she always had that "I will do anything for you" attitude and always understood when she needed to be calm. Even when I began taking her to work (at an amusement park!) and she was swarmed by people, she would just lie down at my feet and calmly accept the petting as if it was below her haha. I can't count how many friends/family members tell me they're going to steal her sometime because she's so good and relaxed!

But I think that may be rare, because my male is GO GO GO all the time, regardless of how I try to bribe him to relax :wild: And when people approach him to pet him, he turns into a wriggly golden retriever who is just SO excited to be petted!

Kaimeju 02-04-2014 09:06 AM

My dog is 4 and she is very calm. I think some dogs are just calmer by nature. But all of the dogs I have had at least got out of the adolescent butthead stage by age 3, regardless of breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

AXO 02-04-2014 09:51 AM

LOL, All dogs are different. Sampson didnt calm down until he was 5 or 6 years old. I think Ziggy my new GSD Pup will calm down much sooner. He has a much calmer temperment.