German Shepherds Forum banner

What age did your GSD calm down (I have 7 m old)

56K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  car2ner 
#1 ·
Just curious, I have a 7 and a half month old female. She has calmed down slightly after being spayed, but she is still wild. Haha anyways, let me know the age yours calmed down, and be sure to include their gender.

#2 ·
GSDs calm down!?! News to me ;-) lol. In all seriousness my girl leveled out about 2 years of age but my male has not yet. He turned a year in august. It really helps though that i run almost daily with my female long distances (3-6 miles depending on the day) so she is more tired than my male. Charles will start running with me regularly when he is 2 (he is very large so i want his official hips/ elbows done) and I'm sure he will calm down after that :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
My female started calming down at about 7 months but is still very active in a good way at 2.5. My male is always busy and I don't foresee him ever changing, he is almost 2.

#7 ·
Teehee you think they calm down.. cute :p Well I'll just say mine is a 4 y/o male and while he is more mature and has learned a little more manners.. he is still JUST as energetic and wants to play constantly. That boy has no stop button. For this reason he is toy restricted in the house.. he has nothing to play with so he ends up laying down in his bed or by the back door.. :) do you have pics of this hyper pup of yours :)

#8 ·
My female never actually 'calmed' down but rather learned to be calm when she should be. She is now four, however even as a small puppy she always had that "I will do anything for you" attitude and always understood when she needed to be calm. Even when I began taking her to work (at an amusement park!) and she was swarmed by people, she would just lie down at my feet and calmly accept the petting as if it was below her haha. I can't count how many friends/family members tell me they're going to steal her sometime because she's so good and relaxed!

But I think that may be rare, because my male is GO GO GO all the time, regardless of how I try to bribe him to relax :wild: And when people approach him to pet him, he turns into a wriggly golden retriever who is just SO excited to be petted!

#13 ·
Calm down or mature?

My older one that's almost 6 has pretty much the same energy level as she's always had. She's just more mature about it and she's completely trained. She knows what's acceptable and what not to do.

My younger one is 9+ months now and active, but wouldn't call him wild. He's wild when the ball comes out. He's calm when he's chewing on one of his toys or bones in the house.

#33 ·
I appreciate this question so much because I have a 6 month old mostly German Shepard mix and my husband is DONE with her but I adore her. She mastered all Puppy Obedience training and is so loving to people and dogs but her jumping, talking, 'business' wears on my husband. Our other dogs were always terriers so this is new territory. Using Praise based training now but need more time with her carved into my schedule. Hoping I can train her with a husband who doesn't get it.

#16 ·
My first shepherd was calm from the start even as a puppy she was very level headed, calm, quiet and her ability to learn was beyond impressive! Keisha lived to 12 years old, she was a dream dog.

After she passed my hubby wanted another "Keisha" aka dream dog. HA!

We had a female boxer so I said it has to be a male shepherd.

So we get Hawkeye..............well : energy level is 10+, quiet he is not, he whines constantly (ok not when he's asleep).

He'll be 4 in March - he has started to mature and he is a fast learner.

And to top it off HE's a THIEF!!! He loves to steal towels, facecloths, dishcloths, gloves. He's taken the phone outside.

But we love him. :wub:

#17 ·
Haha. I don't think they 'calm down', I think they just learn proper outlets for their energy. If not provided, they will never be 'calm'.

Needless, my 1.5 year old intact male is very far from calm, but I provide proper outlets for all that energy.

#18 ·
I would say none of my GSDs every really calmed down until their senior years, with some being later than others. A more mature attitude showed up around 2 to 3 years of age. All my dogs were males. These are busy dogs. All were nice to work with and did very well in obedience and agility. All have been great watch dogs. My last boy Jack was closer to being a forever puppy than the others. I loved this quality in Jack and so far Hoby is filling the bill.

#23 ·
Mine is 9 months old and she's actually more energetic now than 2-3 months ago. :) I reinforce calmness at home a lot so she usually behaves well indoors but I can always tell when it's time for us to do something together.

#24 ·
When we were raising our 1st GSD i learned something concerning them. "That picture of the noble gsd sitting on top of the hill looking like he rules the world so prestigious. Well he's about 10 years old".. They are a hand full and a rollercoaster ride to get there. But they also bring such joy and undoubtedly the some of the truest form of unconditional love I've ever experienced...

#26 ·
He is still very energetic at more than a year old. Calmed slightly after he got neutered at 8 months old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.