German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   New puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/405658-new-puppy.html)

andrea04 02-02-2014 07:38 PM

New puppy

We will pick up our first German Shepard puppy in 3 weeks. Is there anything I should know about making the transition easy on her leaving the litter?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

mcdanfam 02-02-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrea04 (Post 4953442)
We will pick up our first German Shepard puppy in 3 weeks. Is there anything I should know about making the transition easy on her leaving the litter?

Our breeder told us to bring towels or blankets....wrap them or lay them on this blanket in the car, leave it in the kennel with them for the first couple of nights....not sure if this helped...but ours never whined or cried and slept all night in their own kennels....we also had their pillow pet in each kennel to cuddle to...:-) the breeder said the blanket would hold the smell they are familiar with....it seemed to work for us...after they were comfortable a couple of days....we washed the blanket....:-)

mcdanfam 02-02-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrea04 (Post 4953442)

Congrats....and post pics soon!!! That is the best thing about this site...all the puppy pics....:-))

Shade 02-02-2014 08:24 PM

Can't wait to see photos of the little one :)

I did bring a small blanket to rub on the mother before leaving, he did cuddle with it and I made sure he had it for the first couple of nights. Other than that I simply started the schedule right away and allowed him to adjust to it.

andrea04 02-02-2014 09:12 PM

We get to go pick out the female we want in 2 weeks should I bring a blanket with me and see if the breeder will leave it in with them until I pick her up the following weekend so it gets a good family scent on it to make her comfortable

andrea04 02-02-2014 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 174986 pic of the whole litter

mcdanfam 02-02-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrea04 (Post 4954026)
Attachment 174986 pic of the whole litter

So cute!!!

I can't answer that....just having the puppy in it on the ride home seemed to do the trick for us...but your breeder may have a different suggestion. If you leave it with a bunch of puppies it may get holes from being chewed and tugged on...:-/

Curtis 02-02-2014 09:47 PM

We dropped off a pillow case that both my wife and I used at 5 weeks. That way he got used to our scents, and we brought home the litter's smells as well.

Jax08 02-02-2014 09:49 PM

I just put the crate on the bed when I went to sleep. That way I could have my hand in there. Other than that, didn't do anything special. He had no trouble acclimating to me and our house.

andrea04 02-03-2014 12:20 AM

Everyone is giving great advice. Any other puppy advice we may need please share:)