German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   How can i get rid of Pee smell (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/405250-how-can-i-get-rid-pee-smell.html)

jbird6989 02-01-2014 07:30 PM

How can i get rid of Pee smell

I was gone for a week and my puppy sitter didn't do a real good job taking care of Maximus. I came home to find poo on the wall, his bed was trashed and my bathroom smells like pee really really bad. I cleaned the floors with Lysol all purpose cleaner, used my swifer, tried airing out the bathroom with a fan and an open window, and lit candles. Still smells like pee. Anyone know of something to get ride of the smell. My wife is pregnant so maybe something that doesn't have a strong smell.

MichaelE 02-01-2014 07:42 PM

You need an enzyme killer. Enzymes, ureic acid, ammonia, etc are what causes pee to smell the way it does.

If you don't get the enzymes the smell will never leave. All of the foo-foo potpourri, candles, and room freshener in the world won't take the pee smell out of anything.

I forget the brand I used when Lisl had an accident but it worked quite well. It's been almost a year since I've used it, but someone here will remember a brand.

Harry and Lola 02-01-2014 07:47 PM

Yep look for a urine remover with enzymes to permanently remove smell. Most general cleaners such as vinegar and water or bleach etc only remove the water soluble components of urine (urea and urochrome) but leave behind the non-soluble uric acid crystals that retain the urine stain and strong urine odour. Any humidity or dampness will trigger the dormant crystals bringing back the urine smell. Most pet supply outlets sell these.

David Winners 02-01-2014 07:51 PM

Shop Pet Supplies for Dog Cat Care - Nature's Miracle

Works great!

ladyb 02-01-2014 07:55 PM

I second David! Stuff works great! A word if caution: they also make a liquid that ENCOURAGES your puppy to pee...so it smells like urine....in a very similar bottle. Imagine how that worked out when my daughter "cleaned up" with the "go potty here" bottle😩

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

my boy diesel 02-01-2014 08:13 PM

odo ban and nature's miracle or simple solution

Msmaria 02-01-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 4948194)
odo ban and nature's miracle or simple solution

I use odoban and natures miracle too. First I clean area really well with natures miracle (enzyme cleaner) then go over it with the odo ban.
Works on dog vomit too

Msmaria 02-01-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyb (Post 4948146)
I second David! Stuff works great! A word if caution: they also make a liquid that ENCOURAGES your puppy to pee...so it smells like urine....in a very similar bottle. Imagine how that worked out when my daughter "cleaned up" with the "go potty here" bottle😩

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Lol so funny

erfunhouse 02-01-2014 09:51 PM

I soak with vinegar, then make a baking soda paste. Let it dry and vacuum it up

Metro 10/2005-5/2013
Sabo 3/2013-now
Kia 1/2014- now

BowWowMeow 02-01-2014 10:21 PM

White vinegar and water or Nature's Miracle.

Lysol is nasty stuff full of chemicals--not good for your wife, you or your dog!