German Shepherds Forum banner

Stairs?

884 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Karli2174 
#1 ·
I will be getting my first GSD in a couple of months. I know it is kind of soon to be worrying about it but i'm trying to do as much research as possible right now so I will at least have a good foundation to start on when I bring him home.

His crate will be in my room upstairs and I'm sure I will have to carry him up and down them for a while so he can go outside. Is there any tips on how to help him get used to going up and down the stairs? Or should I only carry him a few times and just let him figure it out on his own time?

#2 ·
Going up seems easier than going down at first but I bet your pup will be a stair master before you know it. Wouldn't hurt to keep a watchful eye on the pup as he gets used to most anything for the first few times.

For me, the slippery wooden floors in our kitchen caused me the most concern as our pup would race around the house doing victory laps. On occasion she would lose her footing and make me a bit nervous about possibly hurting herself. I'd tell her to slow down and no running in the kitchen....good thing she wasn't holding any scissors.

SuperG

#4 ·
My wife and I live in an apartment. There is a staircase right outside our unit, and everyday when I take him on a walk, I lead him up a few steps and then down again. He was pretty unsure at first, but with enough encouragement he makes his way down. He's 11 weeks now and just went down a huge flight of stairs with little hesitation!

They get used to it, but with my little guy, I think it was about size. He is now at a size that he can make each step in a stride, which makes it more comfortable. You might find the same with your pup!

#6 ·
I would carry him until he is about 12 weeks and then slowly show him how to go up stairs, once he has mastered going up, he can have a go at going down the stairs.

Stairs can be dangerous, I have always been very careful with my pups on our stairs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.