How Old is my puppy?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How Old is my puppy?!

Hello everyone! 3 weeks ago we adopted a puppy. We had been searching for a GSD for about a month and my husband came across an ad for a black GSD who was no longer wanted... they had bought him for their 5 year old son as a Christmas present. They were surprised to find out that the pup was too much of a handful for the son. I had been determined to make sure we got a dog from a good breeder, who loved and cared for their dogs. But hearing this story and realizing that this family really didn't care what kind of home he went to, we brought him home. I do not regret this at all, Fritz is an awesome boy. The only concern is when we got him 3 weeks ago they said he was 4 months old. Keep in mind they didn't know if he had shots, been de-wormed, and they were feeding him old man dog food. Our vet said she believed he had been cared for by his breeder family, because his nails were trimmed professionally. To be safe we started him on the shots and de-wormer, but said he was small for 4 months and could be 3 months. We want to have him fixed, and the vet said to do it no sooner than 5 months, but I am seriously questioning his age. I have compared photos with other 3,4, and 5 month GSD puppies and he looks more like the 3-4 month old. When we got him, he weighed 20 lbs, since then he has gained 5 lbs. At the shoulders he is about 16 inches, about 4 inches taller than the first night. In the last few weeks he has a few lost teeth and grown a noticeable amount.

This photo is his first night home with us, so he is now three weeks older. Can anyone help? Thank you!

carabearl12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

What a cutie!!! Thank you for giving him a good home. Poor pup to have been "used" as a gift, then rejected because of being an active, happy puppy. BIG surprise (NOT) that a working breed puppy is more than a five year old can handle. Were the adults really expecting their child to deal with the puppy on his own without the grownups stepping in and taking responsibility for handling, managing, supervising and training?

Anyways, he is with good people now. As for his age, pups start to loose their puppy teeth around four months old, so the family you adopted him from could have been right about his age. Some pups are just smaller, grow slower, but are still within the GSD standard, and he may still catch up to an average size as he matures.

If he is healthy, happy, active, is in good physical form and eats and poops well, don't worry about his size of weight. In that pic you posted, he does look younger than four months and three weeks (so almost five months?), but I would use the start of teething as a good indicator of his actual age.

Good luck with him! Hope you stick around and share his progress!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you! I just didn't want to get him fixed yet if he is too young. He has an appointment Monday for his next round of shots, so we will see if the vet says he is ready. He is definitely an active healthy pup and almost too smart for his own good. He drives our 10 year shepherd mix and 9 year boston terrier crazy!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

That is a very cute puppy! How long have you had him for? GSD puppies usually gain 2-3 pounds every week till they are at least 4-5 months old. Also a photo of your puppy sideways will help in determining his age (looking at his growth plates). And thank you for saving a puppy .
vprasad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 03:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here are some pictures from tonight. And I was wrong about his weight. He is up to 27.5 pounds, so he has gained 7.5 in the 3 weeks we have had him.

Side view while sleeping....

Side view while playing his favorite game.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabearl12 View Post
He drives our 10 year shepherd mix and 9 year boston terrier crazy!
Haha! I can imagine! He looks like a spunky one! Give the old guys a break from the puppy, they deserve a peaceful and dignified old age without constant puppy harrasement.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 06:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
AXO

I would say 3 - 4 month range. Maybe a little younger.
AXO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd say 3-4 mths as well...Can you maybe get the name of the person that the previous owners got him from? You could call and get info from them?

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

His growth plates are very apparent so I agree with the other comments that he is 3-4 months. Although I think he is close to 3 .
vprasad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprasad View Post
His growth plates are very apparent so I agree with the other comments that he is 3-4 months. Although I think he is close to 3 .
How can you tell about the growth plates?

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.