German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Young Puppy Blues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/404762-young-puppy-blues.html)

frostwolf7294 01-31-2014 06:55 PM

Young Puppy Blues

I have a 14 week old GSD pup that I've had since 7 weeks old. I work from home, so I've been with her nearly 24/7 for weeks.

Does anyone else ever feel like they are starting to just be nothing but a dogsitter? It feels like years since I could just do what I wanted or leave the house without thinking of the dog.

I love her, but it is feeling like a prison sentence lately. Am I the only one??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

JakodaCD OA 01-31-2014 06:58 PM

probably not, but with me, heck I haven't had a vacation in probably 30 years:) I don't mind being tied down by my animals, I enjoy everyday with them:)

DutchKarin 01-31-2014 07:01 PM

I have had that feeling before. Is she crate trained though. That can buy you a couple of hours easily at 14 weeks. It only gets better. ;-)

Harry and Lola 01-31-2014 07:03 PM

Umm no, I really enjoyed my puppies youth, loved it.

Not sure if you already do, but you might want to consider using a crate.

You should also start leaving the house. Start by leaving for 15 minutes and then return, making sure you leave and return with no excitement, just make it casual, and gradually increase your away times to up to a couple of hours.

It is important to start leaving and returning to allow puppy to get used to you coming and going as then there may be less change of separation anxiety and you won't feel as if you have to be home all the time.

Loneforce 01-31-2014 07:05 PM

What is a vacation? LOL Heck I wish I could spend more time with Jonas. I do get vacations though and that is spending time with him for a week. I wouldn't have it any other way. The first week I picked him up 2 years ago, was a vacation and I celebrate the same week every year spending time with him.

G&Arabella 01-31-2014 07:40 PM

My girl is almost 6 months now, at the beginning I felt overwhelmed and couldn't get her off of my mind. Now that shes starting to understand things better and realizes the things she can and cant get away with things are ALOT better. I feel bad when I can't take her to certain places with me (We pretty much go and do everything together) but now that I have her trained and she can focus, listen, and understand partial or small sentences shes's great. Once you have a good grasp on training and teaching her what she is allowed and not allowed to do it'll start to feel like shes more your child, or best friend rather than a small burden or like you're just dog sitting.

Lilie 01-31-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostwolf7294 (Post 4942186)
I have a 14 week old GSD pup that I've had since 7 weeks old. I work from home, so I've been with her nearly 24/7 for weeks.

Does anyone else ever feel like they are starting to just be nothing but a dogsitter? It feels like years since I could just do what I wanted or leave the house without thinking of the dog.

I love her, but it is feeling like a prison sentence lately. Am I the only one??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

At some point, before you even realize it, they smelt into your life and you couldn't imagine life not doesn't include rushing home to feed, or outside in the freezing cold, potty breaks. You are just feeling overwhelmed. It will pass. Use a crate.

middleofnowhere 01-31-2014 09:04 PM

To the OP - "Yes."

coulter 01-31-2014 09:08 PM

I have puppy fever. So.... I'm getting another puppy

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...FFB922189A.jpg

Serbrider 01-31-2014 09:20 PM

I'm one of those weird people who wants the puppy phase to be over as soon as possible. :p

I love dogs. Adult dogs. If this puppy I'm getting wasn't needing a home, the right breed (mostly... ;) ), and my dog was doing so well with the neighbor's puppy... I probably wouldn't have gotten a puppy.

I can handle puppies, I have the patience and the willpower, but I have to say, even though I haven't brought her home yet, I'm already eagerly waiting for her to at least be 6 months old. :p