Taking a puppy to a horse show... advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Taking a puppy to a horse show... advice?

OK... so I'll be picking up my puppy at 8 weeks old on February 27th or 28th (most likely the 27th).

She'll be getting checked up by a vet and getting her first round of shots the same day.

The problem is that the next day (that Saturday and possibly Sunday) I will be at a horse show. I could wait to pick her up until afterwards if I begged the "breeder" enough, but it would be nice to be able to bring her with me, since that is my eventual plan for her... BUT... I don't want any dangers with potential parvo or otherwise since she wouldn't have built up a strong enough immunity yet and I do want her to completely relax before traveling around with me and doing a lot of crazy things.

She would not be in a high activity area, her crate would be with us, and once she tires herself out she'd be put in her crate which would be in that low activity area.

It's a small show, for IHSA, not some huge crazy busy thing that will last a really long time, and it's only about 2 and a half hours away from home, and could just be something on Saturday, and I go home that night.

So... any advice? As I said, I'd love to bring her, but I don't want to jeopardize her health either.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

For me, it would all depend on the dog itself. If she seems nervous, I wouldn't bring her, I'd probably skip the show.

If she is a hard charger from the get go, I'd probably carry her. When we got Sabo from his "breeder" we went strait to PetCo (didn't think it through, but I didn't have a harness for a puppy, didn't have puppy food and didn't have a leash! I wasn't ready for him to use Metro's things as they were still "sacred" to me)...I had a blanket in the car, so we draped the cart, and put him in. Then it was daily trips to PetCo/PetSmart just for him to get out of the house---and always the same way, blanket in cart, dog on blanket.
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would advise against it. I wouldn't take a puppy out in pubic until they are fully vaccinated. Remember you'll have to stop for potty breaks etc. so even if you don't pick something up from the show grounds.

Many pups are a bit off after vaccinations. You will have a brand new puppy who'll be upset about leaving it's mother and siblings. A brand new puppy who hasn't traveled before (car sickness). You'll have a brand new puppy who could very well be feeling ill due to the vaccinations.

I'll suspect a high possibility of a VERY vocal young puppy.

Then - you'll be at the show grounds dealing with all that mess. Other folks will be running through classes, getting ready for classes......a bunch of nervous nellies...and a vocal puppy who is puking, pooping & potting.

There will be other shows - I'd wait.......
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

There really won't be other shows for me, due to the nature of these shows it's not as simple as just skipping one if you want to get anywhere in, because there are so few each year... But there will be other shows for her.

I'll be seeing her a couple times a week up until then, so I'll see how her temperament ends up going... and seeing from there, and how she'll do after the vet and traveling, and figure out from there... being so close to where she is now, I'm sure I could get her shots and checkup, and then bring her back to her mom and littermates for a couple days, then pick her up afterwards.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I have to agree with Lilie. If the horse show is that important, I would wait.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, when I had originally said the 27th/28th, I thought the show was the following weekend, then looked at the dates again, and realized I was wrong.

As for the show itself, been to quite a few of them. Really nowhere near as hectic as even a small schooling show in regards to the actual competitors/where we would be. Horse are provided by the host school, all we do is sit and wait for our turn, go in, compete, and come back out.

But yeah... Thanks guys. I'll probably wait... but I'll see how it goes after the vet visit.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I would advise against it. I wouldn't take a puppy out in pubic until they are fully vaccinated. Remember you'll have to stop for potty breaks etc. so even if you don't pick something up from the show grounds.

There will be other shows - I'd wait.......
I agree 100% with Lilie. I spent many years at horse shows, trained and showed horses for my veterinarian, who also bred and raised very good Arabians. As far as puppies go, he was always adamant about keeping them home until they are fully vaccinated. Also, a puppy at a horse show? Ummm, not a good idea. Too much going on, too many people rushing to get their horses ready for a class, too many chances for a puppy to get underfoot, and you don't want your puppy underHOOF. If it's not a big show, then is it that important? Is it a breed-sanctioned show where you've got a good chance at a halter or performance championship? If it is important to you, then wait to get your puppy. However, you put parentheses around the word 'breeder'--does that mean you question whether you should leave your puppy with that breeder any longer? Can you get the puppy and have someone sit with it while you're gone?

These are just some things to consider.
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, questions to answer.

First, it's important because there are so few shows in our region, and it's not a championship thing, but I'm part of a team and since these are the only shows we do, and there are only a total of 6 or 7 per year, you kinda have to go to all of them, or you will never move up. So it is important, not in a way others might think, but yeah. And I can wait, and probably will.

Second, I did put parenthesis around "breeder" because this puppy is a mutt. German Shepherd father, German Shepherd mix mother. It was an "oops" pregnancy that could have DEFINITELY been avoided, but it is what it is, and momma will be fixed as soon as puppies are weaned and her teets decrease in size. I'm not purchasing the puppy, coming through a friend of a friend. I don't fear for the puppy's safety, but I wouldn't consider the lady I'm getting her from to be a breeder... hence the parenthesis.

And I do have a few friends/family members who could watch her while I'm gone, but I still wouldn't prefer it.

She would not be in the location where horses would be, at any point, even the fencing is solid so she couldn't get through even if she got loose for a few moments. So she wouldn't be able to get underhoof. And we don't bring our own horses, only point when horses would be involved is when each competitor goes to where the horses are, then get up and go. But that's a completely separate area from where the puppy would be. It's a "special" type horse show, not the typical ones you'd think of.

But yeah... I'll probably pick her up a couple days later. Not what I'd want since I'm ready to have her home, but probably safer and easier for all involved.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wait a couple of days.

You are giving a good home to a mixed puppy -- the breeder (yes she is!) should be happy to wait 2-3 days more.

A breeder is the owner of the bitch who gets pregnant. It does not matter if the bitch is a grand victrix, world siegerin, police dog, or a mixed-bred pet. Doesn't matter. If you own a bitch, any bitch, and she becomes pregnant -- you are a breeder. You are responsible for that bitch and her puppies until you have put her and/or her puppies into other responsible hands.

What happens to her when she whelps, whether the pups make it or not, all the cleaning, finding owners, or even dumping her at the shelter with the litter -- you are still a breeder of that litter, because you owned her at the time she became pregnant.

Whether you are a good breeder or a bad breeder is the question, not whether or not you are a breeder. Whether or not is concrete, black/white, yes/no. What kind of breeder you are is subjective.

Mutt puppies are just as susceptible to parvo and a bunch of other diseases, as their pure-bred counterparts. Taking the dog to a horse-show where other dogs may have been walked moments before you drove your vehicle in there, is playing Russian Roulette with the puppy. Wait, a few days for the sake of the puppy.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Wait a couple of days.

You are giving a good home to a mixed puppy -- the breeder (yes she is!) should be happy to wait 2-3 days more.

A breeder is the owner of the bitch who gets pregnant. It does not matter if the bitch is a grand victrix, world siegerin, police dog, or a mixed-bred pet. Doesn't matter. If you own a bitch, any bitch, and she becomes pregnant -- you are a breeder. You are responsible for that bitch and her puppies until you have put her and/or her puppies into other responsible hands.

What happens to her when she whelps, whether the pups make it or not, all the cleaning, finding owners, or even dumping her at the shelter with the litter -- you are still a breeder of that litter, because you owned her at the time she became pregnant.

Whether you are a good breeder or a bad breeder is the question, not whether or not you are a breeder. Whether or not is concrete, black/white, yes/no. What kind of breeder you are is subjective.

Mutt puppies are just as susceptible to parvo and a bunch of other diseases, as their pure-bred counterparts. Taking the dog to a horse-show where other dogs may have been walked moments before you drove your vehicle in there, is playing Russian Roulette with the puppy. Wait, a few days for the sake of the puppy.
I've just always considered breeders to be someone who purposely bred a dog.... I always feel as though regardless they should be responsible.

But yeah. I'm sure she'd be willing to wait a few days... especially since she knows that I'm giving her a home, the rest of the litter are still up in the air from what I know.

As for mutt vs purebred susceptibility, not a question. I just know that some people say to not go anywhere until the puppy is 16 weeks old, but you're missing important times for socialization by waiting that long, etc.

But yeah, I can wait a few more days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.