Cat Problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Cat Problem

I live in a two.story house. The stairs are gated off because of my 5 month old GSD puppy. My cat lives upstairs. She comes down to cuddle and when the puppy is crated. Cat and older dog are best buds but she hates the puppy. Any advice on how to get them used to eachother? When we brought the cat home, I put her in a wire dog kennel in the middle of the house so she could get used to our three boys, our older dog, and us. She's totally fine with everyone else. She sleeps with our older dog on our bed. Help.

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would just give her time and space for awhile, since your cat is already acclimated to the other dog. She should hopefully come around after awhile because it can take time to get used to new things. My cat didn't first take to my GSD when I got him and would avoid him at all costs but now he just walks around as calm as he usually is. He will give warning meows to my dog if he messes with him too much, if anything my dog is more interested in chasing him sometimes. Adult cats are harder to adjust to new cats or dogs than when they're kittens.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah, I was just thinking if there was a faster way because Id love for him to sleep with us upstairs sometimes. Guess I'll just keep doing what I've been doing - letting then work it out at her pace.
Thank you.

*-*Summer*-*
Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

it's all about the cat... IMHO.

I've had cats that did well with my GSDs but my Burmese, who tolerated my old GSD never accepted Sofie or Jack.

She will hiss, fuzz and run, and what GSD wouldn't want to run after that prey??

Finally used the invisible fence in home solutions to quarten off parts of the house for her.

hope you have better luck.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OK I've lived with three dogs and 12 or so cats and my hose rules are the dogs don't chase the cats ever! Not one paw forward! If you let them "work it out" your going to wind up with a dead cat!

Your job is to protect everyone under your care. You can't control the cat if he doesn't want to engage the puppy it's because the pup is out of control. The pup shouldn't be allowed to engage the cat ever when the cat sees that the pup is under control he will step forward to meet him or he won't it's a cat, but either way the cat will be safe and not stressed.

Just control the cat "no" and "down" if he tries to step a single paw towards the cat. It pays off in the long run no prey drive kicks in on walks when/if a cat appears out of nowhere!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think you'll just have to wait and see, and let the cat rule in the meantime. Some senior dogs can't stand puppies, either, until they mature and settle down some. And do follow the advice about controlling the dog. No chasing allowed, ever. Even if your cat is as evil as my kitten and tries to start it!! Doh.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
it's all about the cat... IMHO.

I've had cats that did well with my GSDs but my Burmese, who tolerated my old GSD never accepted Sofie or Jack.

She will hiss, fuzz and run, and what GSD wouldn't want to run after that prey??
Well if that wasn't a rhetorical question? Mine for one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
Finally used the invisible fence in home solutions to quarten off parts of the house for her.

hope you have better luck.
That is certainly creative...hope you have an automatic back up generator,
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
OK I've lived with three dogs and 12 or so cats and my hose rules are the dogs don't chase the cats ever! Not one paw forward! If you let them "work it out" your going to wind up with a dead cat!

Your job is to protect everyone under your care. You can't control the cat if he doesn't want to engage the puppy it's because the pup is out of control. The pup shouldn't be allowed to engage the cat ever when the cat sees that the pup is under control he will step forward to meet him or he won't it's a cat, but either way the cat will be safe and not stressed.

Just control the cat "no" and "down" if he tries to step a single paw towards the cat. It pays off in the long run no prey drive kicks in on walks when/if a cat appears out of nowhere!
By working it out, I meant she can watch him through the baby gates and slats of his wire kennel. He's nevery had a chance to chase her. She's always on top of her five foot tall cat tree so he doesn't even know she's there 90% of the time. I will not end up with a dead cat because I'm not a moron. But thank you. I was just trying to figure out if there was an easy way for everyone to get along because the cat never comes downstairs anymore (unless Yogi is in his crate). Just forget about it. I shouldn't have even asked. My menopausal ass is not reading things in a nice tone tonight so sorry if I took it the wrong way. She never appears out of nowhere because she has jingle bells on her collar. She's a year old.

*-*Summer*-*
Old 01-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Sorry I got a little testy but my puppy isn't out of control, he's curious. Like I said, the only time puppy sees her is when he's in his kennel and she meanders around the room. He doesn't bark at her. He just watches and wags his tail. I've taken him upstairs a couple of times to meet her. I pick him up and put him level with her (while she's on the cat tree). She initially hissed at him but now she just watches him. He licked her head and she just put her head down like "ewwww". I think he'd be ok with her because he doesn't like to be close to her and always puts his ears back and looks away from her. If I'm not mistaken, this means he's showing submissiveness toward her, yes? Is that correct? When the time comes (IF the time comes) where she (cat) is comfortable enough to come downstairs while he's out of the kennel, we've got more cat stuff that she can climb onto that he can't reach, jump on, or climb up.

*-*Summer*-*
Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I want Yogi to be a part of this, although I'm not quite sure where I would sleep but whatever. Lol
*-*Summer*-*
Attached Thumbnails
Cat Problem-1391139241454.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.