German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   I'm afraid my vet gave my puppy to many shots (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/403770-im-afraid-my-vet-gave-my-puppy-many-shots.html)

DaniRo 01-29-2014 02:20 PM

I'm afraid my vet gave my puppy to many shots

To start off I got my puppy at 8 weeks of age he had already received his first puppy shot which he got at 6 weeks. I took him to my vet at 9 1/2 weeks and he received his 2nd DHPP shot. The vet had me set up another appointment for yesterday at 13 weeks which she gave him another DHPP shot along with his Rabies vaccine. As I was leaving her office I mentioned about now being able to walk my puppy on a leash without worry. She told me I couldn't until he has his next set of shots. My last puppy only received 3 DHPP shots and I thought that is all they get. I called the office and explained to the tech about how I feel and wanted an answer as to why he needs more vaccines. She looked his chart up and said it looks to her like he is finished but then asked me told hold on. She got back to me and said she's not sure why it says that and sometimes they give puppies a series of 4 sets of shots. So she needs to talk to the vet we saw and she will get back to me tomorrow. I asked if I have anything to worry about if he got to many shots and she said no.

My question to anyone that's knows can you please give me some information on this and let me know if I have anything to worry about. Like side effects of being over vaccinated??

I feel horrible that I didn't think of this until after he got his shots yesterday. He looks and is acting totally normal.

Thank you!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

GSDAlphaMom 01-29-2014 02:28 PM

The old protocol was every 3 wks (6wks, 9wks, 12wks, 15wks.). The new protocol is every 4wks (7 wks, 11wks, 15wks,). Do the rabies a minimum of 1 week AFTER the last puppy shot (ie last puppy shot at 15 wks, do rabies at 16-17wks or later depending on local law). You will have to be specific about waiting on the rabies as many vets automatically give it when they give the last puppy shot.

jocoyn 01-29-2014 02:33 PM

I would guess because he got the first shot at 6 weeks before the immune system can properly process it.....they are giving a fourth. It would have been easier on the pup to have given the rabies alone and later but if he did not have a reaction - he will need a booster for that one in a year.

DaniRo 01-29-2014 02:38 PM

So should I not worry like I am???

Mocha 01-29-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaniRo (Post 4927106)
So should I not worry like I am???

No. Having a fourth shot won't hurt him. I had mine get a fourth because of the spacing of the shots. They won't "overdose" or anything. His body will use it if he needs it. Sort of an extra precaution.

DaniRo 01-29-2014 09:26 PM

Thank you I was very nervous. I would never want anything to hurt my baby.

Jax08 01-29-2014 09:39 PM

The vaccinations are not cumulative. They are trying to hit a window. 8, 12, 16 weeks. Since this shot was when he was 13 weeks, you will need another at 16 or you need to titer.

Just an fyi for all...Dr. Dodds new protocol is

9-10 Weeks Old:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)

14-16 Weeks:
Same as above

20 Weeks or Older (if allowable by law):
Rabies

1 Year:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (optional = titer)

1 Year:
Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Shaina 01-29-2014 10:19 PM

At the clinic I work at we ALWAYS give 'four' if the pup received the 1st before 8 weeks of age. The first vaccine, if done too young, is ineffective due to the mothers antibodies still giving the pup protection. It is better to do four than to do three and have one ineffective. Legally, pups need their rabies vaccine at 16weeks in Colorado so we generally do 8, 12, and 16 weeks old for D/P and give the Rabies at 16 weeks (though for smaller pups we do split the two up).