1st dog park trip - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default 1st dog park trip

...and there will NOT be a second. You guys were right. I took my GSD pup (5months almost) and my 4 yr old lab x to a local dog park. I kept my dogs on a leash the first half hour and then took them off for the last half hour. One little pug/chihuawa mix basically attacked Yogi (puppy) by chasing him, barking, and nipping at him. He didn't even engage with the dog. The owner thought it was funny - I wanted to kick her in the face. It was pretty cool though because my very laid back lab x stuck up for him by stepping in front of him and growling at the little dog. If Yogi was smaller, I would have picked him up. 1st dog park trip-1390932828971.jpg

I just put him back on the leash and asked the lady to please keep her jerk dog on a leash too but she ignored me. I finally ended up just leaving because of it. Ridiculous. Plus I had about eight different people come up and ask me what breeder I got him from, how much he cost, how much he weighs, blah blah blah. BUT I did find out (before the mean dog showed up) that he has a beautiful gait while loping and flat out running. He looks like he floats along the ground. Here's a picture of him in the car on the drive home. Keep in mind this is the dog that never stops going. 1st dog park trip-1390932816983.jpg

*-*Summer*-*
SummerGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Reasons why I won't take mine to a dog park, but if it tires out one who never stops going it might almost be worth it. Mine also never stops going.

Albus "Dobby" Van Meerhout
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...y-van-meerhout
DobbyDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

It's not really the dogs, it's the people. If he would have stood up for himself, it would have been his fault not the owner of the aggressive dog.....

Again, I will say my dog will never step foot in a dog park. Worst concept on the planet.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ks View Post
It's not really the dogs, it's the people. If he would have stood up for himself, it would have been his fault not the owner of the aggressive dog.....

I agree.
The dog park I go to is a private one where members pay monthly. If you have an aggressive dog you are kicked out. The people there are very nice and concerned for all the animals there. They have to be as small and big dogs are together. No dog park is perfect, some are worse than others. Up to now Ive never heard any of the members call each other names or attack them verbally. They dont allow their dogs to pester another dog and if seen other members will point it out to them. Ive been going almost a year. Although I dont go as much as I used to as Ive been busy with trying to get my GSD to ignore other dogs.

Last edited by Msmaria; 01-28-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I have heard some good from private dog parks. I have a friend with a Dane they are training for therapy service and it is working for them. I still probably wouldn't do it.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

The main reason was to work on recall while distracted. They both did fairly well. My lab x sucks at it but she's smart and getting it. She's at about a 40% recall rate, reliably. Yogi is at about 90% recall reliability. But he's also young so I expect that to go down during adolescence. I agree that dog park inventors had a good idea but the concept only works if the people work together to make it a positive experience. If that little dog had been mine I would have immediately put him on the leash and left. I read a couple positive stories the past few days so wanted to at least try one out. Now I know. :what:

*-*Summer*-*
Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGSDLover View Post
The main reason was to work on recall while distracted. They both did fairly well. My lab x sucks at it but she's smart and getting it. She's at about a 40% recall rate, reliably. Yogi is at about 90% recall reliability. But he's also young so I expect that to go down during adolescence. I agree that dog park inventors had a good idea but the concept only works if the people work together to make it a positive experience. If that little dog had been mine I would have immediately put him on the leash and left. I read a couple positive stories the past few days so wanted to at least try one out. Now I know. :what:

*-*Summer*-*

If they can't give you 100% I wouldn't even attempt recalls in a dog park setting. You're just pushing your progress back. I work my dogs outside of the dog park near the fence so they still get the different dog distractions but they don't have an opportunity to blow me off to interact with other dogs.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

They're 100% at home. This was our first time at recall outside of the normal places they visit. My dads house has 12 acres and they are 100% around my dads dog. How am I supposed to work on recall with distractions? Appreciate the suggestions please.

*-*Summer*-*
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Outside of the dog park is not fenced...

*-*Summer*-*
Old 01-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Dog parks are pretty much made for the clueless, not everyone is irresponsible of course, but you have badly behaved dogs being brought there by clueless owners.

People with well behaved dogs are basically providing the guinea pigs for the clueless to use for exercising dogs that they are to lazy or incompetent to train!

..not that I have an opinion one way or the other!

Glad you guys made it out OK.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.