German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Important To continue taking care of the puppy.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/402906-important-continue-taking-care-puppy.html)

Hammer08 01-28-2014 05:52 AM

Important To continue taking care of the puppy..

Hi Guys,

Can you give any advice on my situation right now whether i should take care of the puppy or have my friend sell/give it to someone else?

Here is the situation I'm in:

A friend of mine has a GSD x Husky puppy about 2-3 months old. He wants me to take care of it since he will be leaving the country for work (totally unplanned and never expected him to get the job:)). I really want to but I'm having second thoughts on this primarily because of my work schedule.
I am working 12hrs/day, 3-4 times a week. Mondays-Tuesday(9pm-9am) then Thurs-Fri(9am-9pm) although there are times i dont work on my tuesday shift and I think I can sneak out during lunch time just to go home and check on him during thursdays and fridays.
I already have an area in mind for the puppy to stay within the apartment (1mx5m with 1m height for a fence) but still i'm quite bothered if it is okay to leave her for 12hrs.

The other option would be to give/sell the puppy to someone else which also honestly I'm quite against it as there are only two possibilities that would occur. One, she may end up with someone else who might not take care of her properly as it is common here in our country. Second, there is a chance that she will be with someone who can take care of her better than I do on my current situation.

I'm really up against the wall here as my friend will be leaving two weeks from now and he needs my decision on this. Any advice guys? just no hurtful comments please....thanks a lot!

mcdanfam 01-28-2014 07:01 AM

Is there anyone that could come in a couple of times during that 12 hour shift and allow her to potty, eat and play?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Hammer08 01-28-2014 07:12 AM

I'm looking for one but as of the moment there is no one as a I am leaving away from my family.

robeangyalchen 01-28-2014 07:20 AM

Leaving him for 12 hours straight is not good, he can survive but not it's recommended to do. If it was for some months then you could hire a sitter.

The first few months are crucial for you to be with him for puppy's development, but if you send it to training home then it will also work although you being there in person with him through out the training, is way better.

Getting a puppy is a commitment for 10-13 years, given you can sneak out at lunch but can you keep that up for those years?

I work 8 hours a day for 6 days a week, my wife does the same but my sister is home to take care of him while we are away.

4 hours, i think is max for a puppy to be alone.

But i guess, he will survive with your schedule, if not thrive.

But this is my noob opinion, please let the senior and experienced member be the judge.

Hammer08 01-30-2014 03:28 AM

Bump..

jocoyn 01-30-2014 07:49 AM

How long will this friend be gone?

mcdanfam 01-30-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer08 (Post 4918850)
I'm looking for one but as of the moment there is no one as a I am leaving away from my family.

We have a college kid come in and walk one dog while I walk the other...give me time to work them separately and let them get to know someone who may need to care for them in the future. He is not a dog walker or trainer....BUT he adores dogs and is not allowed one at his home. So he gets the joy of a dog for an hour a day, he makes some money for school, and he does not have the cost of a dog. He follows the commands we use and he does not allow bad behavior we don't allow.
We pay $10 an hour....but you may find a kid or something that would charge less....another girl that helps, about 14...gets paid $5 when she helps....:-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Hammer08 02-03-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 4932226)
How long will this friend be gone?

Actually He is transferring there for a full time job. So basically he will leave the puppy to me since its his first time in that country and he is not sure if he can find a place that allows dogs.

erfunhouse 02-03-2014 12:02 PM

We are world wide I believe...what country is he going to? Perhaps someone here will know of resources there?

Scout's Mama 02-03-2014 12:03 PM

Does your friend know anyone who could commit to helping make the puppy's placement with you a success? There were times I left Shadow at home for 10-12 hours, but she was an adult and it was still hard on her.

How long do you have before he leaves?