German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Cross country move with 4mo. old GSD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/402602-cross-country-move-4mo-old-gsd.html)

Diesels_mom 01-27-2014 01:40 PM

Cross country move with 4mo. old GSD

I am making a cross country move from California to Tennessee in a couple of weeks with my 4 month old German Shepherd and my Yorkie. My Yorkie has made this trip before but I am concerned about my puppy, because he has soooo much energy. He does ok on short in town trips. Has anyone taken a young puppy on a long trip and do you have any pointers/suggestions so he doesn't destroy my car along the way. :) Thanks!

Stevenzachsmom 01-27-2014 02:04 PM

Crate him.

Neko 01-27-2014 02:07 PM

Water, but no food if you are making an all day trip. They can have a diet for 1-2 days, you can feed when you stop for the night. I am picking up a puppy and its an 8 hour drive and following this same rule. They will probably sleep =)

KathrynApril 01-27-2014 02:24 PM

I just did not to long ago a 9 hour trip with my boy down to Arkansas & 12 hours back home because the weather/roads were so bad. I exercised him pretty well before the start of the trip and then played with him at gas stops with the flirt pole for about 10-15 minutes. I also had some marrow bones for him to keep him occupied. He did great!!! My mom couldn't believe he never made a peep. I crated him the whole drive. Edit: He was 3 months old at the time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Lilie 01-27-2014 02:51 PM

Crate!

Diesels_mom 01-27-2014 04:08 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think his crate will fit in the car put together. I will have to try it. When he goes for car rides he lays on his bed and his harness is seat belted in.

middleofnowhere 01-27-2014 06:09 PM

I've traveled a lot with dogs. Brought one home from Oregon to Wyoming as a 9 week old. She did fine. Yours will be through with his puppy vacs, yes? That will make it easier. Seat-belted in back will be fine, too. When I traveled with my dogs I fed them morning and evening just like I did at home. If we started early or were on the road late, they would get their meal at a rest stop.

If you can get a Buddy Bowl, that would be good. You can keep water in it & it doesn't spill in the car.

LoriH 01-27-2014 06:21 PM

We made the trip from Colorado to Tennessee and back for Thanksgiving with our 8 month old pup. Fed him as usual in the morning and then stopped every 2-3 hours for some play time and potty breaks, he slept the entire time we were moving. Fed dinner at a rest stop at normal time as well. Drove 11 hours day 1 and 7 hours the second day, he did great. The only part that wasn't great was spending the night in a hotel....:)